Limon, Costa Rica Excursions

BopRN

Please share your recommendations for private or ship tours in Costa Rica. I have read the CC port site but the experiences are all over the map with different cruise lines and time in port, etc.

I really wanted to see the banana plantation in operation, but because we are there on a Sunday, it is closed...and we will only get a tour guide's description. :( We are in our mid 60's, can't do ziplining or high adventure sightseeing, but want a pleasant tour without breaking the bank.

We are going to be in Limon in December and have booked a tour with SYL Travel that takes us to the Jaguar Sanctuary and the Tortuguero Canals. They also include the banana plantation but as you mentioned it will be closed. We have not used them before but they get really good reviews on Trip Advisor and you don't have to pay in advance.

We were in Limon this past April and experienced one of my favorite ship sponsored excursions. We are also in our 60's and thoroughly enjoyed white water rafting. There were a few places that were a little bumpy,but most of the time the ride was calm. So much fun.

A couple of years ago we took the Princess excursion that is now called "Train Ride, Tortuguero Canals and Countryside." That was my choice because I like to ride trains if possible at least once on a cruise. We saw a fair amount of wildlife including various birds, monkeys, a sloth and several crocodiles from the bus and the boat. The train ride goes through the countryside and you see many of the farms but I don't remember if there were any banana plantations to view from the train. We were very impressed and feel better about eating Costa Rican food seeing where it is grown.

Please share your recommendations for private or ship tours in Costa Rica. I have read the CC port site but the experiences are all over the map with different cruise lines and time in port, etc.

I really wanted to see the banana plantation in operation, but because we are there on a Sunday, it is closed...and we will only get a tour guide's description. :( We are in our mid 60's, can't do ziplining or high adventure sightseeing, but want a pleasant tour without breaking the bank.

One of the best tour we have ever done with Princess was the combo Canals mentioned above and the Rain forest tour. It was a long day but well worth it!

We did the banana plantation tour in Costa Rica because we read such positive reviews. We were a bit disappointed ... nothing like described when I realized that probably not all banana plantation tours are created equal. Our guide was good but the tour was just kind of lacking. The driver stopped for animal sightings alongside the road ... so that made it kind of interesting.

Anyhow, I have read that the plantation tours on Sundays might actually be better ... people were impressed. But I think you could find better options. I sort of wish we had even though I wouldn't consider it a wasted day.

Not sure if anything like this is offered on the Puerto Limon side but on the other side, we went river rafting in the rain forest and it was amazing. We saw so much wildlife and way different than anything we'd ever see in the states. It still stands out as one of my favorite tours of all times.