Road to Hana AND Luau?

handbellplayer

We love Mama's Fish House as well. We consider it our "excursion" money, as with a rental car, you really don't need to book anything else. The last time we did Mama's we stopped there late afternoon after a day spent in the upcountry and driving to the Haleakala summit. It was an easy drive through lovely country, what I would call more suburban than rural. Ditto for the drive from Lahaina to Kahului, although a little more rural. The roads are every bit as good as those we have on the mainland. Not a four lane expressway, but who would want that in Hawaii. But I do understand the driving after dark issue. Unless we are on familiar roads, we prefer the daylight hours as well. Our eyes just aren't what they used to be.;).

If the OP is looking for an alternative to Hana plus the luau, you might consider a drive to Haleakala. A nice easy drive with spectacular views coast to coast. You could drive to Lahaina after.

Astro Flyer, thanks for reminding me of Kealii Reichel. We fell in love with his music on our first trip to Hawaii in 2000 and bought one of his CDs. Nice to hear he is still around. Nothing brings back that Hawaiian vibe more than listening to his music.