Whale Watch Victoria

sclitlady

Has anyone ever done one of the Orca excursions in Victoria? We will not have time to do a tour to see whales in Juneau, but I noticed that they offer trips to see Orcas in Victoria. I just wondered if anyone had an opinion on what these tours are like. I appreciate your input.

Hi,

I have done a whale-watching trip out of Victoria, once. I also happen to have been born and lived in Victoria all my life:). I guess I'd never done one before because I've seen whales often from the ferry (to Vancouver), and this tour was a perk of a conference I was attending!

I know most people really enjoy these tours, but some of the boats are harder on your body than others... some of them really pound over the waves for what could be an hour or more straight. My innards kind of hurt after that! Depending on when you go, it can be a bit chilly too. I went in September, but it was later in the day. You're all bundled up in your full survival suit, but the water and wind in the face can still make you feel cold. There are larger vessels with more comforts built in and fully enclosed, and with a small washroom. Most of the smaller ones don't have washroom facilities, so if you can't hold it for 2-3 hours, you may want to rethink!!

Ironically, the one time I've done the whale-watching, we saw no whales. Apparently no-one did that day, on any of the tours. Every other kind of wildlife (seals, otters, eagles, etc.) but no whales. Yet the next weekend my DH and I went out in our own small boat and were surrounded by 30 or so beautiful Orcas. Needless to say they scared all the fish away that we were trying to catch, but it was spectacular. I think it's pretty rare when the tours DON'T see any whales, so your chances are good. Oh, and the scenery of the water and Olympic Mountains can be absolutely gorgeous.

Let me know if you have any more questions...

Karen

ps You are going to catch Butchart Gardens while you're here I assume?

I have gone with Seacoast Expediations the most and like their zodiac, which I run to and sit on the back forward facing bench. http://www.seacoastexpeditions.com/

There are several companies to choose from and I have always seen whales. Prince of Whales is probably one of the most convenient and large operation right on the Inner Harbor.

Karen:

I am not a member. I work as an assistant to our news coordinator. I am the lucky one who gets to send out the dean's/president's list, graduates, etc. Also, write for faculty newspaper. I really like it. I will finally finish my degree in May and then I am hoping to move up the ladder;)

Archived