Leaving Manhattan Cruise Terminal Tips

biguntx

Just my opinion relating to our disembarkation on 8/14/16.

One of the best tips ever on Cruise Critic was to use a Porter when departing the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on.....saved at least 30 minutes off my wait time not to mention the hassle of dragging 4 large bags around! We flew right through Customs. Well worth the $20 tip to the Porter.

During our entire pre-cruise stay in New York (four nights of superb dinners, jazz and Broadway shows) we used Uber....the service and quality of the cars was excellent.

My mistake leaving terminal was not taking Uber ...I took a cab in spite of the many recommendations on this site.

The Porter had us at the light to cross 12th but I decided on a cab instead. The cab experience was horrible: no air conditioning, the windows in the back would not open and the driver took every opportunity to scare the heck out of us...I never felt so alive!

There were numerous Uber cars lined up in the area...as mentioned in the site just cross the street....find a business with a visible address in the that or the next block and you're literally home free!

My point is most of the recommended options here in Cruise Critic are right on point...I need to remember that every time I cruise.

Wow, sorry to hear of your cab experience. Why was he trying to scare you! We haven't had those issues with NYC cabs, but I guess you never know.

Note to non-NY-area people: there will be people in the intersection (yes, IN the median by the light) saying "need a cab?" these are not always licensed taxi drivers and will charge you more for the usually unmetered ride.

If you are getting a taxi, go across the street TO THE TAXI STAND. They will be lined up.

We haven't had issues with Uber in NYC, so that's a decent choice too.

My mistake leaving terminal was not taking Uber ...I took a cab in spite of the many recommendations on this site.

The Porter had us at the light to cross 12th but I decided on a cab instead. The cab experience was horrible: no air conditioning, the windows in the back would not open and the driver took every opportunity to scare the heck out of us...I never felt so alive!

Were you in a yellow or medallion taxi with a meter?

Taxi & Limousine Commission requires all Yellow Taxi's and Car service (Black Car) to have working air conditioning. In addition yellow taxi's must have venting to the back seat even if no partition between back seat and driver.

There is a T&LC uniformed Dispatcher across the street (12th Ave) if there is any doubt. The easier route is to go to the 2nd level where taxi's are dropping off departing passengers and get in a just vacated cab.

I've done it both ways, upstairs or across the street.

FWIW

Just my opinion relating to our disembarkation on 8/14/16.

One of the best tips ever on Cruise Critic was to use a Porter when departing the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on.....saved at least 30 minutes off my wait time not to mention the hassle of dragging 4 large bags around! We flew right through Customs. Well worth the $20 tip to the Porter.

During our entire pre-cruise stay in New York (four nights of superb dinners, jazz and Broadway shows) we used Uber....the service and quality of the cars was excellent.

There were numerous Uber cars lined up in the area...as mentioned in the site just cross the street....find a business with a visible address in the that or the next block and you're literally home free!

My point is most of the recommended options here in Cruise Critic are right on point...I need to remember that every time I cruise.

That's great information. We do plan on using a porter. Could you tell me where the private transportation vehicles will be parked compared to the taxis?

Thanks,

Cole

Were you in a yellow or medallion taxi with a meter?

Taxi & Limousine Commission requires all Yellow Taxi's and Car service (Black Car) to have working air conditioning. In addition yellow taxi's must have venting to the back seat even if no partition between back seat and driver.

There is a T&LC uniformed Dispatcher across the street (12th Ave) if there is any doubt. The easier route is to go to the 2nd level where taxi's are dropping off departing passengers and get in a just vacated cab.

I've done it both ways, upstairs or across the street.

FWIW

We did go up to the second level thanks to the Porter!

It was a yellow cab....after mentioning that I couldn't get the window opened the driver pulled over and tried himself but admitted it was broken. As a matter of fact the cover on the window had been removed leaving the impression that some had tried to make the window function in the past

Not sure how I could have enforced the a/c mandate! Believe me I was hot enough to try anything!

If I had Gone to the trouble of crossing 12th avenue I would have taken Uber instead!

My wife needs a knee replacement and we try to limit her walking as much as possible being in our mid 60's we not as spry as we once were but we also try not to give in!

Wow, sorry to hear of your cab experience. Why was he trying to scare you! We haven't had those issues with NYC cabs, but I guess you never know.

Note to non-NY-area people: there will be people in the intersection (yes, IN the median by the light) saying "need a cab?" these are not always licensed taxi drivers and will charge you more for the usually unmetered ride.

If you are getting a taxi, go across the street TO THE TAXI STAND. They will be lined up.

We haven't had issues with Uber in NYC, so that's a decent choice too.

I stand corrected, I'm sure he wasn't trying to scare us. I apologize to him and any other cab drives I may have offended.

But his serving in and out of the bus only lane got our attention and attracted the attention of other cab drivers that honked and offered various hands signals made for a memorable ride!

He also used a left turn lane to advance through an intersection cutting off another cab that was also very surprised and upset.

I stand corrected, I'm sure he wasn't trying to scare us. I apologize to him and any other cab drives I may have offended.

But his serving in and out of the bus only lane got our attention and attracted the attention of other cab drivers that honked and offered various hands signals made for a memorable ride!

He also used a left turn lane to advance through an intersection cutting off another cab that was also very surprised and upset.

Sounds like a normal ride in a NYC taxi to me. ;)

I personally dislike New York City Taxis. The driving is downright terrifying sometimes. Drivers also will avoid using the air conditioning some times, but will turn it on if asked (although you might get some attitude in response to your request).

Uber often has better cars and drivers. The challenge with Uber is you have to know exactly where you are and find your car. It's not as easy as getting in the nearest taxi.

Personally, I'll use the subway as much as possible. Unfortunately it's not that useful for cross town travel near the cruise port.