JMHamburg and others please help with Hamburg

My DH wants to take some night photos any suggestions? Also he wants to do photos in the Elbe tunnel, wondering if it is safe to walk this in the evening. I have heard that the view across the Elbe is beautiful at night.

Cruise is getting closer and the excitement is building!

Thanks for your help. Karen

My DH wants to take some night photos any suggestions?

The Poggenmuhlenbrucke is a must, one of the most popular spots in Hamburg. Please note that the blue lights will only be installed in September during 'Blue Port'. This is in Speicherstadt (Warehouse District), UNESCO World Heritage, and you will always meet other spotters there with their tripods:

th_Hamburg%20-%20Blue%20Port%202015%20-%2008sep2015%202035CEST%20Hamburg%2001%20dusk_zpsm3fgqjhl.jpg

This spot on Lombardsbrucke is also very popular, but it is very hard to achieve good photos there, since you would have traffic, bikers and people most of the time in front of you on the street. This photo was from December with christmas tree on Alster lake, Venus and Moon above. In summer we have a big fountain:

th_Hamburg%20middot%20Binnenalster%20middot%2002dec2016%201639CET%20Hamburg%2002%20dusk%20venus%20moon_zps8qkaq5km.jpg

Alternatively, you can try this spot at night or in the dawn:

th_Hamburg-Binnenalster-23may20121629CESTHamburg04_zps0e788914.jpg

Also he wants to do photos in the Elbe tunnel, wondering if it is safe to walk this in the evening.

You can never be safe of crazy people, no where; the tunnel has video surveillance, stairs and elevators. Usually it is well frequented with people.

I have heard that the view across the Elbe is beautiful at night.

The walk trough tunnel to this spot takes about 30 minutes. On weekdays there is a ferry service from Landungsbrucken to 'Stage Theater im Hafen' next to the spot. You get the following views, again with blue lightning only during 'Blue Port' in September:

th_Hamburg%20-%20Panorama%20City%20Center%20-%2006jan2017%201601CET%20Hamburg%2004_zpspwgeavi0.jpg th_Hamburg-BluePort2014-30jul20142203CESTHamburg03dusk_zpsaba6d882.jpg

Edited by JMHamburg

It's absolutely not predictable! So many things can happen. Low tide is predicted to be at ~ 4am, high tide at ~ 9am; thus, I'm wondering about an arrival time of 5am for such a big vessel? Immigration to Schengen is still not like to USA or UK, but a train at around 9am is really ambitious. No time for a last breakfast on board?

We have 4 people disembarking the Regal Princess on April 17th (Easter Monday) and wold like to know if taxis will be readily available at the port and if any would be minivans to hold all 4 of us and our luggage?

Would it be better to prearrange some sort of transportation service......if so, suggestions of what companies could accomodate us?

Also, any idea what time would be best to be picked up as the entire ship will need to go thru EU Immigration that morning.

Appreciate all suggestions and comments!

Wife and I will arrive Hamburg by cruise on APR 17. Looking for recommendations for best tour(s) for our one day to experience Hamburg (fly home morning of APR 18). English speaking guide preferred.

We plan to drop bags at hotel, hope to be ready to go by 11:00AM.

if taxis will be readily available at the port

On a rainy day, please don't expect availability of free taxis in Hamburg.

if any would be minivans to hold all 4 of us and our luggage

I personally would make any prearrangement in such a case.

any idea what time would be best to be picked up as the entire ship will need to go thru EU Immigration that morning.

After recent reports from German travellers arriving in Hamburg with comparable big vessels, you better plan 3 hours minimum after scheduled arrival time; but, as earlier said; it is really not predictable!

You can call in taxi in Hamburg www.taxi211211.de; I don't know, whether they always can handle English, or you make an online reservation at a fixed price and time at www.bettertaxi.com, switch to 'English' at top right corner of that page.

On a rainy day, please don't expect availability of free taxis in Hamburg.

I personally would make any prearrangement in such a case.

After recent reports from German travellers arriving in Hamburg with comparable big vessels, you better plan 3 hours minimum after scheduled arrival time; but, as earlier said; it is really not predictable!

You can call in taxi in Hamburg www.taxi211211.de; I don't know, whether they always can handle English, or you make an online reservation at a fixed price and time at www.bettertaxi.com, switch to 'English' at top right corner of that page.

Thank you for this information!

We would like to make an online reservation but due to unpredictable time for pickup, unsure what to do:(

We would like to make an online reservation but due to unpredictable time for pickup, unsure what to do

Where are you heading from the cruise terminal; train station, airport, hotel; do you have a fixed time for anything after the cruise on that day?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a very specific question, so I understand if nobody has an answer but I thought I'd try. I tried to e-mail HVV, but they were no help.

I'm trying to figure out whether there is barrier free access for a wheelchair user to transfer between the Landungsbrucken ferry stop and the S-bahn station at Landungsbrucken. Google maps and the HVV website have only gotten me so far. But I think I can do it.

It appears to me that there is a ramp that leads up from the passenger portion of the Landungsbrucken ferry at bridge number 1, and then there is a ramp down to the street once you up there. I think, but am not sure, that once down to the Landungsbrucken ferry area, you can walk without stairs to all of the piers along the water, but I can't tell.

The Landungsbrucken station is more difficult to understand. It looks as though the u-bahn leaves from the elevated tracks, which has only stairs, but that there is an elevator that goes down to the s-bahn tracks underground. This is where I get confused. If I'm understanding things, there is a small s-bahn entrance to the east of the station, on Hafentor, and this is where the elevator is located. But I'm not sure.

So, those really are the two questions: Is there a way to go from the street level to the pier, and have access to all bridge areas (most important brucke 1 and 3, where ferry 62 leaves from)? And, is there barrier free access to the s-bahn at the station, by using the Hafentor entrance?

Again, I know this is very specific, but if anyone happens to know I would appreciate it.

It appears to me that there is a ramp that leads up from the passenger portion of the Landungsbrucken ferry at bridge number 1, and then there is a ramp down to the street once you up there.

That's all correct!

I think, but am not sure, that once down to the Landungsbrucken ferry area, you can walk without stairs to all of the piers along the water, but I can't tell.

Yes, between the different piers, there are short bridges with a more or less steep slope, but there are also nearly always lots of people who may help you, if you're alone.

The Landungsbrucken station is more difficult to understand. It looks as though the u-bahn leaves from the elevated tracks, which has only stairs, but that there is an elevator that goes down to the s-bahn tracks underground.

That's both correct!

This is where I get confused. If I'm understanding things, there is a small s-bahn entrance to the east of the station, on Hafentor, and this is where the elevator is located. But I'm not sure.

Yes, that's right!

Is there a way to go from the street level to the pier, and have access to all bridge areas (most important brucke 1 and 3, where ferry 62 leaves from)?

Yes, but Be prepared for a very steep slope at low tide on the bridge(s), even pedestrians may struggle a bit at low tide.

is there barrier free access to the s-bahn at the station, by using the Hafentor entrance?

Please see and select Station Maps for orientation (Landungsbrucken Map), and HVV page Mobility Impaired Passengers, scroll down to Operating status of the lifts and open the system wide live info map. Also, Google Street View is available for Hamburg.

Tide Calendars for Hamburg:

BSH (official but short term)

Exnatura (select specific date)

Date format in Germany: DD MM YYYY

Time format in Germany: 24h (2pm = 14:00 for example)

JMHamburg -- since you were so helpful on my question, I wonder whether you could look at our plan for the day in Hamburg and let me know what you think. We will arrive very early in the morning, with jet lag, and have a day room, and will take a nap. We then want to get out in the afternoon and do some walking and sightseeing through dinner time. One of our party, as mentioned, has a wheelchair. I think it looks like the following would be possible. We are staying near the central station.

Take the s-1 or s-3 from the train station to Landungsbrucken. See the area, and have a fish sandwich at brucke 10. Walk under the Elbe through the old tunnel. If our timing is right (14:30 to 17:30), take the 75 ferry from Steinwerder back to Landungsbrucken, or else walk back through the tunnel. Take bus 111 along the Elbe to HafenCity. Transfer to number 6 metrobus to Rathausmarkt, walk to the Parliament square, and then walk back to the central station, on the shopping streets Monckenbergstrasse and Spitalerstrasse. What do you think?

Ambitious program, but looks ok, enjoy your stay!

Good point. I think we may end up just enjoying the Landungsrucken and taking a cab back, but at least we have a plan if we're up for more.

Thank you so much for your help. It means a lot.

Instead of the Elbtunnel (cold-wet and musty), why don't you just visit Landungsbrucken, and after that take the bus line 111 or ferry line 72 to the new, celebrated Elbphilharmonie concert house. There is an observation platform around the building (between the brick stone and the glass parts of the building) with a good view on Hamburg; you can even make a ticket reservation (access is limited to avoid overcrowding) from home for less money, and there are elevators. After that, you may proceed to Binnenalster lake, next to the beautiful Rathaus (town hall), very scenic!

Hamburg%20-%20Elbphilharmonie%20-%2005may2016%201742CEST%20Hamburg%2001_zpsdlmqjeqm.jpg

Hamburg - Elbphilharmonie - 05may2016 1742CEST (Hamburg)

Well,Elbtunnel is interesting for people who are interested in histroy of buildings,but for all others it is indeed totally unspectacular.

The suggested tour from JMHamburg is really a good one,so if you do it you won`t do anything wrong. ;)

Are you interested in a guided tour of Hamburg which already starts in Kiel?If so,let me check if there are some.

Or do you just need to get to Hamburg and want to explore the city on your own.Cause this is quite easy.Most cruise ships are docking inwalking distance to the train station in Kiel.And there are trains to Hamburg almost every 30 Minutes.

Are you interested in a guided tour of Hamburg which already starts in Kiel?If so,let me check if there are some.

Or do you just need to get to Hamburg and want to explore the city on your own.Cause this is quite easy.Most cruise ships are docking inwalking distance to the train station in Kiel.And there are trains to Hamburg almost every 30 Minutes.

We are docking in Kiel, I would like to take a tour of Hamburg. I really dislike the cruise ship shore excursion.

We are a group of 5 docking in Hamburg on the Norwegian Jade (Altona). Our current plan is to take the #62 harbor ferry to Landungsbrucken and then the #72 to Elbphilharmonie. From there we will walk to Miniatur Wunderland. Am I correct that we will leave from the Dockland (Fischereifahen) stop? Is there a long distance to walk between the two ferry stops at Landungsbrucken and then from Elbphilharmonie to Miniatur Wunderland? (one person in our group has some mobility issues). In addition, we would like to visit the BallinStadt. Their website says to take #10 ferry from Landungsbrucken. I've been studying maps and am having difficulty finding the #10 route. Can you help with this? Thank you so much. We are really looking forward to visiting Hamburg.

Yes,it is the stop Dockland where you have to board the 62.This pier is directly next to the cruise terminal.Just take care about the direction shown on the #62.If it shows "Finkenwerder" then do not board,cause this is the wrong direction and it would take at least 1 hour to get to the landungsbrücken.

As far as i can remember from all my visits,the #72 departs from the same pier at Landungsbrücken as the #62,so you just get off the #62 and wait at the same place.Maybe the #72 will dock 30-40 meters away,but as long as you check all the arriving ferries you cannot miss the #72. ;)

From the Elbphilharmonie stop it will be approx. 700 Meters to Miniatur Wunderland,so it should be possible,even with mobility issues.

Hope this was clear enough to help you. Have fun in the most beautiful city of germany. ;)