Anybody use AT&T Cruise Package?

ohmark

AT&T offering an onboard cruise package on Oceania (and some other lines) without data or texts as follows: $30 for 50 minutes of talk with $1.00 a minute over (no data; texts at higher price). Anybody use this service for voice? Comments?

AT&T offering an onboard cruise package on Oceania (and some other lines) without data or texts as follows: $30 for 50 minutes of talk with $1.00 a minute over (no data; texts at higher price). Anybody use this service for voice? Comments?
Yes, I have. 50 minutes worked out well for a 2 week cruise as I make very few calls. I used it mainly for business calls, but any leftover minutes I called friends on the last few days of the cruise. I plan on doing the same on my upcoming 16-night cruise in Nov/Dec.

Incoming text messages on most of AT&T plans are included. If they're included with your regular domestic plan, then they (incoming text messages only) are also included while roaming at sea on participating cruise lines (O being one) or on land. If you need to send a text message it is 50¢.

I do not find a need for the text or data portion of the AT&T Cruise package, so only get the 50 minute voice package for $30.

I have unlimited internet included in the price of my cruise, and if I didn't my company would pay for it. So the vast majority of communication is done via email on my laptop when at sea, or on my mobile phone when in port. If I need to make an extended business call, then I use Skype in my stateroom or hotel.

I highly recommend the AT&T passport packages. That is what I rely on the most for my mobile phone when near or on land. It includes data, unlimited texting, and reduced price calls as low as 35¢/min.The number of MB of data in the plans vary from 200 MB, 300 MB, to 800 MB. You'll have to determine which one best suits your needs depending on the length of your cruise, number of ports, and any additional land based days. I use the 800 MB plan for 30 days for $120. I use a little over 30 MB/day but generally don't do organized tours, but instead explore on my own usually walking 10-15 miles daily which means I use the mobile technology for Pocket Guide tours and other data intensive activities. If you do a lot of bus or other guided tours, you will not use as much data as I do.

I use 800 MB in a little over 3 weeks, which works out well when I'm on a cruise that is part of a larger land based trip like the 7 week trip this Nov/Dec for which I'll buy 2 30-day 800 MB packages. The nice thing is, whatever package you purchase, if you go over your allotment it continues on a per MB basis at the same rate as the package you purchased.

I use my phone's data for directions, maps, finding restaurants/coffee shops, meeting up with friends, pocket guides that automagically tells you about the sights you're seeing, pics with real-time upload to FB, Uber to get a taxi, train apps for train schedules and tickets, hotel apps to check-in to your hotel, airline apps to check-in, boarding passes, and checking the status of your flights, weather apps so you know when it is going to rain, along with email. I use the unlimited text messages to stay in touch with work and friends back home. And I use the discounted phone calls for emergencies, important calls like irregular flight operations and need to contact the airline, call for the hotel shuttle to come pick you up, or the ever important call from Qantas First Class lounge to schedule your spa appointment prior to tomorrow's flight.

While I still do basic planning prior to taking my trips, technology has reduced that immensely. And yes, I still bring back-up paper copies of all my reservations in the event technology fails or is lost.

Oh, the other wonderful thing the iPhone does for me is it tracks my walking, so I know how many calories I burned each day. Because of that I never use my phone when I'm walking as it needs to be in my pants pocket to log the steps, and I walk a lot. So while it may sound like I'm always using my phone, I'm actually not. It's there for when I need it. I stop for a break and check whatever I need to check then. Using Pocket Guides is a bit more challenging as I need to use my ear phone, which I actually detest in public as it tends to make me, and others that use them, rather anti-social. I tend to only use both of them (both ears) when on a flight, and only use one ear phone for the Pocket Guide.

I'm currently in Vail, CO and go for a few walks each day and this morning when I was on my 3-hour walk (big walk of the day) I saw two women, each walking separately, with their noses stuck in their phones. The majestic beauty of the Rocky Mountains, Gore Creek, the wild flowers, Humming birds, Canadian Wrens, and Magpies were all lost on them. I had to chuckle a bit to myself.

Well with all that said, I just check Accuweather and there is no rain for the next 120 minutes, so I'm off to walk #3.

Edited by Fam_Cruise

Yes, I have. 50 minutes worked out well for a 2 week cruise as I make very few calls. I used it mainly for business calls, but any leftover minutes I called friends on the last few days of the cruise. I plan on doing the same on my upcoming 16-night cruise in Nov/Dec.

Incoming text messages on most of AT&T plans are included. If they're included with your regular domestic plan, then they (incoming text messages only) are also included while roaming at sea on participating cruise lines (O being one) or on land. If you need to send a text message it is 50¢.

I do not find a need for the text or data portion of the AT&T Cruise package, so only get the 50 minute voice package for $30.

I have unlimited internet included in the price of my cruise, and if I didn't my company would pay for it. So the vast majority of communication is done via email on my laptop when at sea, or on my mobile phone when in port. If I need to make an extended business call, then I use Skype in my stateroom or hotel.

I highly recommend the AT&T passport packages. That is what I rely on the most for my mobile phone when near or on land. It includes data, unlimited texting, and reduced price calls as low as 35¢/min.The number of MB of data in the plans vary from 200 MB, 300 MB, to 800 MB. You'll have to determine which one best suits your needs depending on the length of your cruise, number of ports, and any additional land based days. I use the 800 MB plan for 30 days for $120. I use a little over 30 MB/day but generally don't do organized tours, but instead explore on my own usually walking 10-15 miles daily which means I use the mobile technology for Pocket Guide tours and other data intensive activities. If you do a lot of bus or other guided tours, you will not use as much data as I do.

I use 800 MB in a little over 3 weeks, which works out well when I'm on a cruise that is part of a larger land based trip like the 7 week trip this Nov/Dec for which I'll buy 2 30-day 800 MB packages. The nice thing is, whatever package you purchase, if you go over your allotment it continues on a per MB basis at the same rate as the package you purchased.

I use my phone's data for directions, maps, finding restaurants/coffee shops, meeting up with friends, pocket guides that automagically tells you about the sights you're seeing, pics with real-time upload to FB, Uber to get a taxi, train apps for train schedules and tickets, hotel apps to check-in to your hotel, airline apps to check-in, boarding passes, and checking the status of your flights, weather apps so you know when it is going to rain, along with email. I use the unlimited text messages to stay in touch with work and friends back home. And I use the discounted phone calls for emergencies, important calls like irregular flight operations and need to contact the airline, call for the hotel shuttle to come pick you up, or the ever important call from Qantas First Class lounge to schedule your spa appointment prior to tomorrow's flight.

While I still do basic planning prior to taking my trips, technology has reduced that immensely. And yes, I still bring back-up paper copies of all my reservations in the event technology fails or is lost.

Oh, the other wonderful thing the iPhone does for me is it tracks my walking, so I know how many calories I burned each day. Because of that I never use my phone when I'm walking as it needs to be in my pants pocket to log the steps, and I walk a lot. So while it may sound like I'm always using my phone, I'm actually not. It's there for when I need it. I stop for a break and check whatever I need to check then. Using Pocket Guides is a bit more challenging as I need to use my ear phone, which I actually detest in public as it tends to make me, and others that use them, rather anti-social. I tend to only use both of them (both ears) when on a flight, and only use one ear phone for the Pocket Guide.

I'm currently in Vail, CO and go for a few walks each day and this morning when I was on my 3-hour walk (big walk of the day) I saw two women, each walking separately, with their noses stuck in their phones. The majestic beauty of the Rocky Mountains, Gore Creek, the wild flowers, Humming birds, Canadian Wrens, and Magpies were all lost on them. I had to chuckle a bit to myself.

Well with all that said, I just check Accuweather and there is no rain for the next 120 minutes, so I'm off to walk #3.

We too are big AT&T Passport plan fans when scheduled for numerous ports over more than half a month. Where AT&T rises above the crowd is its worldwide partner network, which is unrivaled.