Dining and large tables

Madkitty

Has anyone as a couple sat on a large table and did you have a good time with the people you met? Mum and I went on a cruise last year and it was all large tables and we had such a laugh! This time we also have decided to request a large table but feeling a little apprehensive that people might want to keep themselves distant!

Our first cruise we were at a large table and we made good friends at our table. We even emailed back and forth for a long time after that. It really made the cruise.

Our second cruise, we again sat at a large table,but the people were very unfriendly on that cruise, so we later opted to sit by ourselves. It was an NCL cruise, so we wouldn't have sat with the same people every night anyway. It was so weird that everyone on that cruise was unfriendly. It really made a negative impact on the cruise. We just didn't have as much fun. We just chalked it up to that perticular cruise.

We are booked on the Rhapsody 9/10/06, and again opted for the large table, in the hopes of meeting new friends. I also researched and picked a ship that was known to have the friendlist passagers. Being on these boards, chatting away, and joining the roll call for my cruise I hope will also help. Trying to be really proactive this time. Book a large table, it's great!:D

We were at a table for six last year, two of the seats were never sat in all week. Our tablemates were less than "excellent", but we wouldn't ask to change because they would have been left all alone. Let me tell you, for next week's cruise, I requested a large table! I want more than just two people to talk to. I'll let you know how it works out!

I always sit at large tables and I always have a delightful time (well except for one time when a fellow and very drunk, passenger sat in my husbands lap. The rest of what she did was practically x rated so I will not go into it. My poor husband was mortified). I have met lifelong friends at a large table on a cruiseship. I will never sit at a table for two.

Our 1st cruise we sat at a table for 4, and had a great time at dinner. Our 2nd cruise we were at a table for 6. We knew all these people (co-workers). Our last cruise we were at a table for 8 and LOVED it. None of us knew eachother previously, but we got along very well. Every night we all were the VERY LAST ones out of the dining room. The wait staff had all the tables cleared and set back up. We appologized for holding them up but they didn't care. I hope this next cruise we can have great tablemates like last time but I doubt it will be the same. I would always go for a large table so there is a chance of having someone to talkk to.

We always request a large table. If we are assigned to a table of less than 8 Mr. Ski asked to have us reassigned (before the first dinner) so that we can be at a large table. He wants the largest one available (usually a 12-top) so he can meet lots of new people. It is usually really fun. Only once have we had a bad experience and once a less than pleasurable experience. But even then we didn't let it bother our cruise. It is really a lot of fun to meet new people and chat about what everyone did that day and what the plans for the next day are. The only thing that we feel would be not as much fun is if you are at a table for 12 and the other 10 are all best buddies for a hundred years, etc. But usually that doesn't happen.

PS>>>>Mr. Ski sits at a different chair every night. He rotates where he is sitting so that he can sit by someone different that he has not sat with before. (of course this has to vary depending on table size/layout, etc.) So if you are seated with us....don't expect to get your same chair every evening! LOL

The poster before me just mentioned what I was wondering. Do people at large tables usually take the same seats each night? I would think it would be difficult to speak with people at the other end of the table if the table is not round. If I didn't like my seat at the table, would it be rude of me to take another seat at the table the next night?

The poster before me just mentioned what I was wondering. Do people at large tables usually take the same seats each night? I would think it would be difficult to speak with people at the other end of the table if the table is not round. If I didn't like my seat at the table, would it be rude of me to take another seat at the table the next night?

Ahem... most of the time yes, goes back to school. Then there is me. I have to be different. I always park it at the same end of the table but never in the same chair. I like to mix it up a bit. :D

I've been worried about this too, for our honeymoon in april -- my fiance's first cruise and he can be kind of shy sometimes.

I worry that it will be just us sitting with a large party of people who are together, and we'll feel like the "7th & 8th wheel". I guess if this happens we can change to a different table...

Is it possible to request a table with just other couples? Or do they already keep this in mind when arranging seating?

As I said earlier, Mr. Ski (and therefore I too) move around each evening to different chairs depending on size of table/layout, etc. Some nights he will go early so that he can make sure he gets different seats and other nights he will go in just a tad bit late so other people will have already arrived and he can then choose who to sit by. (someone he has NOT sat by before) As far as being rude to change seats....if you changed the second night and the third night and the fourth night, etc. I don't think it would be rude. If you have one seat on the first night and then change the second night and then keep it every night after that then I might consider it rude. (Again, depending on the table size/layout, etc.).

Large tables are usually fun and changing seats is fun too because it usually gives you a chance to get to know each of the other folks a little better.

Meg....I think they usually try to put "couples" with "other couples" as opposed to putting a "couple" with a "group". But if it accidentally worked out that you were put with a group, I bet you could ask to be switched and the group would understand. I think they usually do pretty well at trying to match up couples with couples / families with families/ parties of 4 with other parties of 4, etc. But there is always a chance the system will fail...so if it does, just request a change and in most (not all) cases they will be able to accomodate you.

We have always requested a large table and have been assigned to everything from 4 to 12 seats. The more the merrier, I say. If you have more people not only do you get more varied conversation, but if you happen to have a little personality conflict with one person at the table there are plenty more people to talk to.

Last year on the Jewel were were at a table for 8 and it was one of those magical combinations where everyone just "clicked" and got along terrifically. We were the first ones in the dining room each night, and the last to leave, and we only left so they could set up the table for the late seating. It was not 4 couples, but two couples, 3 ladies traveling together and one lady who was sailing solo because her cabin mate took ill at the last moment (it turned out she was in the cabin next door to us, so that was nice). It was a port intensive cruise and we really enjoyed hearing what everyone had done that day in port. We are still all in touch via email!

There are six of us traveling over Christmas/New Year's. DH and myself, along with DD's, 24, 20, 29 and DS, 20. I asked to be seated at a large table, which the TA said would be an 8-top. I really want to meet new people and don't want conversations to be limited to the six of us. On the other hand, I don't want our table mates to feel intimidated or constrained because we are six. Should I visit the maitre 'd as soon as we board and ask for a larger table?

Archived