Haleakala then Kamaole Beach Park?

b00kbug

For 2nd day on Maui - docked overnight until 6pm - I want to check out the Haleakala summit but since it seems hiking is not the easiest thing to manage there due to the lack of loop trails, I want to do something after the summit.

Would I have time to hit Kamaole Beach for a bit before we have to return the rental car?

Thanks!

Living in South Maui, I would recommend going to beaches other than those in Kihei where the three Kamaole beaches are located.

I think that beaches in the Wailea & Makena areas are much better options...are you seeking relaxation or to snorkel & explore tide pools? If you let me know, I could make some suggestions for you to consider.

The Wailea resort area has paved free parking lots, outdoor showers and indoor toilets; the Makena area has fewer developed beach areas & most have dirt parking lots, porta-potties and no showers. One exception is at Maluaka beach which has paved parking, showers & toilets like in Wailea. On the southern end of the beach is one of the areas that boat snorkeling trips promote as "Turtle Town" but I always see turtles whenever snorkeling from the beach.

These beaches are about 10 minutes further away than the Kihei beaches but to me it's well worth the extra drive which is what we do when going to the beach. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

For 2nd day on Maui - docked overnight until 6pm - I want to check out the Haleakala summit but since it seems hiking is not the easiest thing to manage there due to the lack of loop trails, I want to do something after the summit.

Would I have time to hit Kamaole Beach for a bit before we have to return the rental car?

Thanks![/quote

Astro Flyer is a good source of information about beaches, so we needn't comment about that. What we will comment about is, yes, you can do both Haleakala summit and a South Maui beach if you start out early enough. You probably already know that it will be quite chilly at the summit, so dress in layers that you can put on/take off as you go.

Living in South Maui, I would recommend going to beaches other than those in Kihei where the three Kamaole beaches are located.

I think that beaches in the Wailea & Makena areas are much better options...are you seeking relaxation or to snorkel & explore tide pools? If you let me know, I could make some suggestions for you to consider.

The Wailea resort area has paved free parking lots, outdoor showers and indoor toilets; the Makena area has fewer developed beach areas & most have dirt parking lots, porta-potties and no showers. One exception is at Maluaka beach which has paved parking, showers & toilets like in Wailea. On the southern end of the beach is one of the areas that boat snorkeling trips promote as "Turtle Town" but I always see turtles whenever snorkeling from the beach.

These beaches are about 10 minutes further away than the Kihei beaches but to me it's well worth the extra drive which is what we do when going to the beach. :)

Thanks so much! I am really looking for a relatively calm beach - we will be there early December if that makes a difference. My 2 year old will be traveling with us, so a place where she can approach the water without me being worried about severe rip tides.

Thanks so much! I am really looking for a relatively calm beach - we will be there early December if that makes a difference. My 2 year old will be traveling with us, so a place where she can approach the water without me being worried about severe rip tides.

Here's my recommendation which is where we've take our grandkids since they were your son's age to the beach...Ulua Beach located on the north end of Wailea.

It's a relatively protected bay as is the other side of the lava point at Mokapu Beach. There are many kids who go to Ulua with their families to snorkel, boogy-board, play in the water, build sand castles & explore tide pools. Mornings are generally the best time before afternoon winds begin to increase but the water can still be safe later. We drive there for our daily walks along Wailea's paved oceanfront walkway & sometimes parking is difficult because of it's popularity. There are indoor toilets & outdoor showers also available here. Winter temperatures are our favorite time of the year...upper 70° to lower 80°...just perfect for us! :D Although the water temperatures are slightly cooler during the winter averaging 76° in December.

If parking is unavailable, there are also parking lots a couple of minutes further south at Wailea Beach and there's always parking at Polo Beach on the south end of Wailea...both have the same facilities as at Ulua.

Like the ocean anywhere, always respect the conditions & you'll have a fun time at the beach. During the wintertime sometimes the Kona winds from the southwest can result in high surf conditions & warnings in Hawaii including at the South Maui beaches.

Hawaii Weather Today is a great website by Maui meteorologist Glenn James for anything weather related in Hawaii including beach conditions & trip planning weather trends.

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/beaches/

Edited by Astro Flyer