Scenic Transfer from Whittier

Cathy Young

I will be sailing on the Diamond Princess in May and I am trying to decide if I should take the Scenic Train Transfer (through Princess) from Whitter to Ancorage, or the Turn Again Arm History & Tram Tour. Has anyone gone on either? My flight does not leave Ancorage until about Midnight so I have the whole day to site see. I was thinking of renting a car once in Ancorage. Any suggestions?

That's one of those 6-of-one,half-a-dozen-of-the-other questions. They're both excellent trips and only your very specific interests can be the deciding factor. The train trip is laid-back and simple, the other has you out and moving a fair bit. A rental car simplifies the luggage issue, but isn't needed to keep busy for an afternoon/evening in Anchorage. A trolley or bus tour of the city that includes the huge Lake Hood floatplane base and Earthquake Park (2-3 hours) is recommended.

Murray

I will be on the Diamond June 10. I have already booked a car from Whittier to Anchorage , as we are a family of four. However if there are tours that will take, and our luggage, from Whittier to the Anchorage Airport, and show us som of the sites this might not be a bad option. The rental car was $227.00, ridiculous price.

Which car rental company are you using? I have not been able to locate one on line, that is located in Whittier. Princess has a scenic rail transfer for $90 per person, according to Princess it leaves Whitter about 8:30Am and arrives in Anchorage about 11:30, then they transfer you by bus to the airport (where we can rent a car for the rest of the day). We have 4 people in my party so the car rental from Whittier would be less, and then we would not have to worry about storing luggage until we arrive at the airport (plus have the car for the afternoon). I guess I will have to decide if the "Scenic Rail Transfer" is worth the extra dollars.

Avis is the only rental car company in Whittier.

Depending on what your plans are when you leave the ship and what kind of transfer you have out of Whittier, Princess handles almost all of the luggage. Princess has big luggage rooms at the airport and downtown at the Egan Center.

:cool:

Hi Kathy,

Welcome aboard. We have a Cruise Critic Roll Call for this cruise at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=4118556#post4118556

So far there are 12 of us signed on. We'll plan a Sailaway party, and maybe help each other with independent shore excursion suggestions.

We're in the same situation and yet different. Mike and I plan to continue with Princess to Denali and then Fairbanks, but our children (who are grown) will go to Anchorage after disembarking. They are hoping to see a bit of Anchorage and surrounding area that day; the plane won't leave till midnight. I'm thinking that a car is the best way since the transfers will almost cover the cost of the car, even though it's outrageous!

So I, too, am interested in which car rental agency you reserved.

Finally, I have made a spreadsheet of the people we know of who will be on the cruise. if you'd like to see it, just send me a message at craven3atadelphiadotnet (substituting the @ and . for the words, of course).

We look forward to meeting you and your family onboard.

Charlotte

• 1 month later...

To make the best use of your short time and the most freedom, I would do the one way Whittier/Anchorage car rental with Avis. Even though costly, you can well be on your way hours earlier then if you do the Princess transfers. Easy would be the very scenic drive to Hatcher Pass, or you could even get to Seward for a short visit, then allowing some time on the Arm is a highlight. Anchorage has plenty but is better seen, my opinion only, with a car, it's a big spread out city. But request their visitor guide and determine for yourself what your touring priorities are. http://www.anchorage.net

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a million, Budget Queen, for the tip. Since there will be either three or four people, the car option isn't as much as it would have been through Princess transfers, anyway, then renting a car at the airport, anyway.

Will rent the Avis car right away.

Charlotte

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Budget.Queen,

WE've reserved a one-way car for the trip from Seward to Anchorage. I'm going to try to get an Alaska roadmap and guidebook from AAA, but in the meantime I have a couple of questions.

First, is the Anderson Tunnel between Whittier and Anchorage? I've searched the dot.state.Alaska site, finding a page about the tunnel, but it doesn't answer my question because the map is so small. Or my eyes are bad; the map doesn't seem to be enlargable, if you know what I mean.

Second, is there a toll to pass through the tunnel, and, if so, do you happen to know how much?

Third, I read someplace that a person needs reservations to get through the tunnel, but now I can't find where I read it. Maybe on CC, and I don't know if the poster knew much more than I do. At any rate, if we need a reservation, how do we go about making it?

Fourth, you mentioned in one post that a drive through the very scenic Hatcher Pass would be worth doing. Please tell me where Hatcher Pass is in relation to the road from Whittier to Anchorage.

Sorry to be a pain with such small questions, but our only other trip to Alaska was strictly a RT cruise Vancouver, so none of this is familiar. Our plane doesn't leave till after midnight on the day (after) we arrive in Whittier, so there will be a bit of time for seeing some sights.

This is for our children, who are 35 & 31. Mike and I will be on the train to Denali Park. You are such a wealth of information that I thought you'd be the best person to ask.

Thanks,

Charlotte

Hi Budget.Queen,

WE've reserved a one-way car for the trip from Seward to Anchorage. I'm going to try to get an Alaska roadmap and guidebook from AAA, but in the meantime I have a couple of questions.

First, is the Anderson Tunnel between Whittier and Anchorage? I've searched the dot.state.Alaska site, finding a page about the tunnel, but it doesn't answer my question because the map is so small. Or my eyes are bad; the map doesn't seem to be enlargable, if you know what I mean.

Second, is there a toll to pass through the tunnel, and, if so, do you happen to know how much?

Third, I read someplace that a person needs reservations to get through the tunnel, but now I can't find where I read it. Maybe on CC, and I don't know if the poster knew much more than I do. At any rate, if we need a reservation, how do we go about making it?

Fourth, you mentioned in one post that a drive through the very scenic Hatcher Pass would be worth doing. Please tell me where Hatcher Pass is in relation to the road from Whittier to Anchorage.

Sorry to be a pain with such small questions, but our only other trip to Alaska was strictly a RT cruise Vancouver, so none of this is familiar. Our plane doesn't leave till after midnight on the day (after) we arrive in Whittier, so there will be a bit of time for seeing some sights.

This is for our children, who are 35 & 31. Mike and I will be on the train to Denali Park. You are such a wealth of information that I thought you'd be the best person to ask.

Thanks,

Charlotte

The tunnel is open for 15 min/hour in each direction, you will be put in a staging line to wait. Head to your library and request THE MILEPOST. there are detailed maps in the book.

From Whittier no toll. :) Yes Hatcher Pass is very very scenic with a stop ending at Independence Mine very worthwhile. North of Anchorage, entrance at Palmer. about 50 miles. Road is paved to the mine. Most all car rental companies prohibit driving the unpaved portion.

Archived