Splendor or glory

susan1957

We will be booking either the Splendor or the Glory...Eastern....only difference is the Splendor goes to Amber Cove and the Glory goes to Half Moon Cave....am looking for any input or preferences as far as the ship or the ports....thanks so much

I don't know if it is of any importance to you or not, but Glory has Guy's Burgers and Blue Iguana.

Splendor does not have Guy's, but does have a burrito place (not Blue Iguana) but similar. Splendor has a regular burger grill, and a Tandoor.

I have been to Amber Cove, it was nice, but it is best to do an excursion here, as it is just the typical Caribbean man made port area, and no beach right there.

Half Moon Cay, I have not been to yet, but is very very popular with most who have been.

Edited by SMSACE6

Hello.... Been on about 23 cruises over the last 10 years, spread out over the Triumph, Pride, Splendor and Glory. IF I was choosing from the two you mentioned, it would have to be the cruise on the Glory.

Of all the ships we were on, the Triumph is our favorite, followed by the Glory. Third would be the Pride and last (and IMHO) and least, would be the Splendor.

The Glory is colorful and the crew seemed to reflect that attitude. They were friendly and helpful. We've been on that ship so many times, everyone there recognizes us. We would actually bring stuff for some of the crew (hats, etc), we knew them so well. Unfortunately, it changed home ports a couple of years ago.

The Triumph was our first cruise and we loved the ship. Like the cities of the world theme.

The Pride was our first cruise out of Baltimore and we found the ship dark and dreary.... and the crew acted like they were in a coma. Probably from working in near darkness most of the time. We avoid it now.

And then there's the Splendor. Maybe its gotten better since we were on it two years ago.... maybe not. But it just seemed like it needed to be junked or something. Nothing worked on it and the crew seemed frustrated by that. They seemed to want to do a good job but nothing went right. And the boarding process (which has nothing to do with the physical ship itself) was horrendous. We were doing a cruise with a B2B 2 day to nowhere and we actually considered getting off the ship after the first cruise. We decided to stay (wish we had not) but it took them almost 8.5 hours to walk us off the ship, through customs and back on the ship. It would have been quicker if we would have gotten off and re-embarked like it was the first cruise.

These are just my opinions based on my experiences... "your experiences may differ....".

In any event, whatever you choose, make it all you can and enjoy the ride. That's what counts. Bon Voyage. :)

Edited by jrwill228

I cant give much input on the difference between HMC and Amber Cove...but I can tell you that we went to HMC with Pride and had FTTF. This is a tender port and having FTTF allowed us to get one of the first tenders from the ship to the island which in turn allowed us to rent one of the double umbrella/canopy. There is a name for it but it eludes at the moment..but it was for $20 with two lounge chairs which really helped us stay out of the direct sun we were not enjoying the crystal clear water. SO clear that you could see fish swimming at your feet when the water was up to your shoulders...pretty cool.

Now- Splendor vs Glory. I have not been on neither ship, but was comparing both of them for a May 2017 sailing. We just book splendor this week (8 night) because hubby wanted to try the Tandoor (Indian lunch), the burrito bar plus experience the therassus pool<sp?> in the spa. This will be an extra cost (shh....I'm buying him the weekly pass, it will be a Christmas gift to him). I wanted to experience the rotisserie for lunch and knowing it was the only ship in it's class plus due to sail to China in the future we decided on this ship. I also took into consideration airfare prices (you can fly into MIA or FLL and get transfers to the opposite ship terminal but for a much higher price). So we took all that into consideration when going with the Splendor.

Hope this info helps....we don't cruise often....and have not been on many ships, so to me...research is the way to go and only you know what interests you the most about a port or a ship.

Thank you so much for your reply....I HAVE been on the Glory...mind you it was 7 years ago and believe it has been upgraded to 2.0 ....I loved the Glory....have done 9 Carnival cruises...and loved them ALL....The Splendor reviews seem to be all over the map.....Some people say it's a real pretty ship...while one person said it looked like someone threw up a raspberry smoothie all over the ship! LOL...so to each their own I guess....I have been to HMC but not the new port Amber Cove....so it's the review of the Splendor and Amber Cove I guess I am really looking for....decisions...decisions....

I don't know if it is of any importance to you or not, but Glory has Guy's Burgers and Blue Iguana.

Splendor does not have Guy's, but does have a burrito place (not Blue Iguana) but similar. Splendor has a regular burger grill, and a Tandoor.

I have been to Amber Cove, it was nice, but it is best to do an excursion here, as it is just the typical Caribbean man made port area, and no beach right there.

Half Moon Cay, I have not been to yet, but is very very popular with most who have been.

It was a toss-up between Splendor & Glory last year. We chose Glory because Splendor did not have Guys Burgers.

We're going to Amber Cove on Conquest January 2017 so I do not have an opinion on it. However, Half Moon Cay is a beautiful spot for a beach day.

It was a toss-up between Splendor & Glory last year. We chose Glory because Splendor did not have Guys Burgers.

We're going to Amber Cove on Conquest January 2017 so I do not have an opinion on it. However, Half Moon Cay is a beautiful spot for a beach day.

That is so funny, because I was down to Splendor or Glory for my next cruise, and chose Splendor, because it has Tandoor. I am not a big fan of burgers, so even though I have enjoyed a guy burger in the past it is not a draw for me. Also chose Splendor for the itin which is nothing special, but just that I have not been to the Western Carib lately. We are all different. But still Glory looks like a nice ship, and I do like the conquest class ships.:)

Ive been on 22 cruises, different lines, many Carnival, and Glory is my favorite ship. Book a cabin near the doors to the "secret decks". Great ship, perfect size. Half Moon Cay: I can vouch for its beauty. I have seen it twice: from the ship. In four trips to HMC we have never made the port call once. Twice it was skipped entirely and twice we attempted to make the port call and the captain gave up due to swells. HMC is notorious for not making the port call. I would never book a cruise specifically for HMC for just that reason.

Good luck with whichever cruise you decide-