RC Newbie

Hi everyone

I'll start off by saying that I've only cruised Carnival(once before and one upcoming in Oct) and while I enjoyed Carnival, I'd like to try Royal Caribbean. I'm a big believer of trying new things.

I live in PA so I'd like to sail out of Bayonne.. I am looking at the Anthem. I want to do this as a surprise cruise for my BF and myself. I think that would be a fun Christmas gift.

I guess my big question is.. Are there big differences between the cruise lines? Its hard to switch cruise lines! I know the ins and outs of Carnival and I understand how it all works there.

I'm just a serious planner. I have lists upon lists..seriously, when I go to the grocery store, I make my list and then re-write it according to how the store is set up. I'm a planner..I worry. I'm actually a horrible traveler until I get to my destination. :rolleyes:

If you were new to RC, what would you want to know beforehand? I appreciate any and all help :)

Hi everyone

I'll start off by saying that I've only cruised Carnival(once before and one upcoming in Oct) and while I enjoyed Carnival, I'd like to try Royal Caribbean. I'm a big believer of trying new things.

I live in PA so I'd like to sail out of Bayonne.. I am looking at the Anthem. I want to do this as a surprise cruise for my BF and myself. I think that would be a fun Christmas gift.

I guess my big question is.. Are there big differences between the cruise lines? Its hard to switch cruise lines! I know the ins and outs of Carnival and I understand how it all works there.

I'm just a serious planner. I have lists upon lists..seriously, when I go to the grocery store, I make my list and then re-write it according to how the store is set up. I'm a planner..I worry. I'm actually a horrible traveler until I get to my destination. :rolleyes:

If you were new to RC, what would you want to know beforehand? I appreciate any and all help :)

On our first cruise, in 2004, we went with seasoned cruisers who had been on several lines. Our sailing was on Navigator. All I wanted to know, was if there was activities and entertainment from morning until night, IF I wanted to do things from morning to night. There was, I was happy.

Since you're looking at Anthem, make sure you read the Anthem reviews because the ship is a little different than the other Royal ships, especially when it comes to dining, with it's dynamic dining as opposed to having a traditional MDR

Personally I don't find that much difference between lines. I haven't done Carnival, but have done several lines - I'm not loyal, I chose based on itinerary and price. I think each trip is very different and based on when and where you are going the passengers may be partiers, old people, families etc.

I am also an obsessive planner, and I think doing research on Anthem specifically will help you plan out the trip. We go on her in Oct, so I don't have too many tips yet other than try to make reservations for meals (if you don't have dynamic classic dining) and shows when they become available online