Back on Line after Wilma

threeofus

We finally got power back. Still waiting for phones. Don't know when the kids will get back to school. I wish someone could fed ex me some gas for the car. Tough situation

BUT....we are safe, our home is intact, we have everything we need...just not everything we want. That's ok.

15 years in South Fla and this was the worst - for my area. We've been fortunate prior to this. It's been a long active season with so many people affected in so many places.

We all appreciate the little luxuries of life as we get them back one at a time.

Take time to smell the roses everyone.

We are in Parkland....just west of them. Most people are still out of power and don't have phones. Cell service is really sporatic as some carriers are down and there are too many people trying to use their cell phones.

That may be the reason. So sorry that you are worried. Hope you hear soon. Blessings.

I just flew in to Philly yesterday on the 1st day the airport was opened again. What a nightmare that was down there. My parents live in a mobile home and lost that and their care. But, the good news is they are alive and have insurance and hopefully FEMA will get their act in gear. After they settle that they are back on the way to Pennsylvania. Give me a snow storm over Wilma any day...

threeofus--you are very lucky to have power. My parents are at a hotel in Hollywood. Just got off the phone with them and most of Broward is still without power. Those gas lines are something aren't they?

I'm checking into my next cruise right now with my refund and money off but I'll never do hurricane season again...

threeofus--you are very lucky to have power. My parents are at a hotel in Hollywood. Just got off the phone with them and most of Broward is still without power. Those gas lines are something aren't they?

I'm afraid to take my car anywhere - don't want to use any gas. Lines are 4-5 hours long and then they run out.

yes we were thrilled to get our power back...too many cold showers and we were really low on ice and water. We bought supplies beforehand but you never really realize what you will actually need until it happens.

We live in a new community and I think it's easier to restore power when the entire area has underground utilities - at least that's what they told us.

Hope everyone gets their power back soon.

I'm afraid to take my car anywhere - don't want to use any gas. Lines are 4-5 hours long and then they run out.

yes we were thrilled to get our power back...too many cold showers and we were really low on ice and water. We bought supplies beforehand but you never really realize what you will actually need until it happens.

We live in a new community and I think it's easier to restore power when the entire area has underground utilities - at least that's what they told us.

Hope everyone gets their power back soon.

We finally got power back. Still waiting for phones. Don't know when the kids will get back to school. I wish someone could fed ex me some gas for the car. Tough situation

BUT....we are safe, our home is intact, we have everything we need...just not everything we want. That's ok.

15 years in South Fla and this was the worst - for my area. We've been fortunate prior to this. It's been a long active season with so many people affected in so many places.

We all appreciate the little luxuries of life as we get them back one at a time.

I am so glad you have your power back: I can't imagine what it would be like. Let's hope everything returns to normal in a very short time. Enjoy the sunshine and the holidays ahead. We all need to be thankful for what we have. NMNita

We got our house phone and power back late last night. Only half our community has power but mostly everyone has gotten their phones back. My cell did not work at all. Today I turned it off and on and finally was able to use it.

I don't know which is worse - the lines for gas or the lines for food. I am limiting my driving because I do not expect to get gas for my car until sometime next week. Some supermarkets are starting to refill refrig. goods but meats are definately scarse.

We are also on the wait and see for school. Several schools in our area were damaged. I will be surprised if my kids go back in school on Monday.

As long as we are all safe. Boy, a cruise sounds good right now.

Funny you should mention this. As I walked home from the gym today with Pikes Peak starting to get it's winter coat of snow in the backdrop, sunrise that I normally only see while on a cruise and listening to one of my favorite songs, I wondered how many people actually stop and think how lucky we are.

Please take time to smell the roses, you will never regret the time you took.

I hope all of you in all the hurricane ravaged areas keep your chins high and looks to nature, family and your god of choice for peace.

BonVoyage

Dawna

I am still without power, live in Broward county and we got hit the worst. There are 350 poles down in my town alone. Glad I have a generator but then again it sucks down the gas and gas is liquid gold down here right now, I risked life and limb to drive 2 hours north to bring gas back for the generator and food for the family yesterday. They say power will not be back until Nov 22 at the latest. Lucky for us the weather changed, no humidity and dropping into the 60's at night.

True. The cool weather saved us.

We also have a generator. Some of our neighbors rans theirs all day. We did 3 hours on, 3 hours off. Less fuel usage. Worked out great. Kept the frig cold and the food frozen. But, had our power not come on last night, we would have been in the dark tonight.

One thing I learned - frozen pizza cooked on the grill isn't that bad. Neither are Hot Pockets.

Ahh, what I would do for a meal in the Windjammer right now!!

GeriZ - we just heard our schools are out Monday - and not sure when they are going back.....how many days did you have last year and what happened?

Thanks.

Glad to hear you have light - gotta love it.

Sorry about my fellow Broward poster - glad you have a generator. We didn't but thankfully our generous neighbors did and they took good care of us. Good Luck.

I am on the Gulfcoast and had been without power till 4PM today. Live in a mobile home and our community suffered but no injuries and thank God our house was spared. Did you know you can boil water on a gas grill and pour it into your electric coffee maker for a good pot of coffee? I did it all week!

Glad no one suffered any injuries. Will keep up the good thoughts for you folks on the east coast.

threeofus

We will know tomorrow whether we have school Monday. Doubtful as only 55 of 164 schools have power. They also look at traffic - are the lights working to safely bus the kids to school.

I think last year we had around 9 days to makeup. Last year they elimated teacher workdays and early release days, and also extended the school year by a day or two. This year the days are built into the calendar. We are supposed to have early release on Nov 3, but I'm sure it is now a makup day. We no longer have Nov 11th & 23rd & probably have lost Jan 5, 6 & 9. We usually cruise the 1st week of January, but I did not plan a trip this year because of last years hurricanes & makeup days. For our cruise this past January our final pymt was due and we didn't know if the kids would have the time off for vacation. RCCL was great and extended our pymt deadline for a few extra days due to the circumstances.

Broward changed your schedule this year to one similar to PBC. PBC built in emergency makeup days. Did Broward?

I was just glad it was not hot this year. Last year with no AC, that was terrible. Thank Wilma for one thing - the cold front.

Sorry to hear of all the damage to our fellow Floridians on the East Coast. I am in Cape Coral and although we got some damage here, not near as bad as Dade/Broward/WPB or surroundingareas to the south-Collier/Glades/Hendry. Lee County got lucky again for the most part. It was much worse for us after Charley than Wilma so I can empathize with your situation. Many areas here still w/o power...no school all week. Supoosedly back on Monday--Halloween--my friends who are teachers are laughing at that because NOTHING will get accomplished:rolleyes: Hopefully your areas will be "back to normal" ASAP. And yes, how much better the post-hurricane weather was this time as opposed to no power for 7 days in the middle of August last year. Bad as it all is, I am still grateful we did not get a Katrina or Rita.

If ANY of you still need gas and/or a generator to borrow, please email: mmkc4@aol.com I am willing to drive to you. :)

I am down in the Miami/ Gables area........Got my power back yesterday around 5pm.........

As far as fuel goes, if you can make it down south, expecially the Metro Zoo area/152 St & 137 Ave there are 6 gas stations open and pumping with little to no lines.......I was in and out in 15 minutes and their were no restrictions. Also the Snapper Creek plaza on the turnpike has fuel and little to no lines. The further south you go, it seems that more and more power is back on and things are somewhat getting back to normal............

For those still without power/necessities, hang in there, things will get better...........

Just posting a show of support for those dealing with the aftermath of Wilma. We had our fill of all the same problems last year after Charley hit us hard. (12 days without power). This is to let you know that although it seems like your lives are in turmoil right now, it WILL get better and there will be blessings you will appreciate that you might not have had before the storm. We didn't know our neighbors very well before Charley, but that storm brought us and our community much closer together. Neighbors helping neighbors saved us all. If one of us was making a run for supplies, we asked our neighbors if they needed anything and brought back not just things for ourselves but for neighbors too. Some of our schools were badly damaged and the schools that were not were put into use as dual school facilities operating in shifts, two schools working out of one school. This even put two rival high schools on the same campus. We all learned to appreciate each other a lot more. It took almost a year before our city was back to "normal" and there are still buildings in process of repair, but it will be better than ever when it is finished. Best wishes to you all!

Thank you FLFamilyof4 - Very kind of you. My DH is on a gas line since 6 this morning - it's now 10 and he just called my cell phone to tell me he has gas in the car. Hooray!

Maybe next time we'll take that drive south - I'd rather drive than sit for hours. Thanks for the information.

So many caring people out there making a difference.

Hope you all have a great day.

Thank you FLFamilyof4 - Very kind of you. My DH is on a gas line since 6 this morning - it's now 10 and he just called my cell phone to tell me he has gas in the car. Hooray!

Maybe next time we'll take that drive south - I'd rather drive than sit for hours. Thanks for the information.

So many caring people out there making a difference.

Hope you all have a great day.

That is GREAT news!!

I may be making a trip up your way today or tomorrow.......If there is anything I can bring you, supplies, ice/water/food, just send me an email mscinmia@bellsouth.net and I will be glad to pick up what I can................

Gas Lines were much easier today. Today DH waited only 30 minutes and there was no limit. The other day you could only get $20. Hopefully as power comes on it will get back to normal.

Supermarkets are getting back on track too. The shelves today were stocked and I was able to get fresh vegetables.

Still waiting for a school update.

There are still many areas without power. Even today only 1/2 my community has power.

As my DH says, the sacrifaces we make to live in paradise.

Stay safe.

my parents live in boynton beach. they got their power and phones yesterday afternoon. but most of the other developments around them did not get power back. my uncle lives about 3 miles down military trail and still has no power, no phone and no cell phone. he keeps going to my parents for coffee and food.

We are up here in Martin Co and just got our power back on Wed night and let me tell you that hot shower felt really good. We had our generator after getting spanked last year with both Francis and Jeanne- we learned alot. Seems like our area is getting back to normal. Ran some errands today and did not see one line at any of the gas stations. All Publix's are open and most have received their dairy and frozen trucks so things are looking up. Thank goodness for the cool weather it was nothing like what we suffered from last year. My BIL is in Lake Worth and they still have no power or phones...hopefully soon life will get back to normal.

Archived