A Comfort Question

HappyMe_

When flying, I have no trouble falling asleep, but what does awaken me on long flights, is discomfort in my neck.

I have seen online made by various luggage companies, a neck type cushion, inflatable that you can put around your neck. I am wondering if this might solve my problem.

Has anyone tried these and any recommendations?

Thank you,:)

I own a U-shape beanbag-type (as opposed to inflatable) neck pillow...

In fact, I have it at the office and it's supporting my neck right now...

What it does is sort of molds to my neck, shoulders and head and provides great support when leaning back against a high back chair--like an airplane seat...And, yes, it is very comfortable...

I don't know if the same could be said about an inflatable one...I would think they wouldn't be nearly as adapting...

BTW, you can buy these all over the place...I paid about $10 at a Rite-Aid store...

I have one. It's got like a velvety texture. The only thing that was a little disturbing the first time I used it was that it had that inflatable rubbery smell. You don't want to inflate it too much, just kind of squishy. I keep it in a little pouch along with my ear plugs and eye mask. For my legs, I usually wear the post-surgical stockings that I took home from the hospital. No swelling and no blood clots. If (I should say when) I notice swelling during the cruise, then I wear them to bed.

So would you say the inflatable pillow is comfy and supportive. I'll have to get some of thos stockings from a drug store. I never thought of using my eye mask for the plane...good idea. Ear plugs I won't use though...I wore some for a job I was doing years ago and they made my ears sweat and I got a nasty ear infection from them. The doctor said it was common from ear plugs so be careful.

So would you say the inflatable pillow is comfy and supportive. I'll have to get some of those stockings from a drug store. I never thought of using my eye mask for the plane...good idea. Ear plugs I won't use though...I wore some for a job I was doing years ago and they made my ears sweat and I got a nasty ear infection from them. The doctor said it was common from ear plugs so be careful.

I have an inflatable, and a new one called FOM from Brookstone. The FOM, or the other kind that are filled with buckwheat, I think are far more comfortable than the inflatable. The FOM are very light to carry, and come in a thick plastic zip pouch so you can attach it to your carry-on as you race through airports. Eyeshades are great too, they keep you from opening your eyes every time someone passes your seat or you hear something, so you tend to rest more quietly.

I have a buckwheat filled one that I keep in the car. I had never really thought about taking it on a plane. I find that the inflatable does it for me, along with the tiny airplane pillow. I use the disposable ear plugs, so I'm not worried about infection. Sometimes I put on my noise reducing earphones and crank up my CD player. Depends on how many crying babies are on board. I got a really nice mask that's very soft and cuts out every bit of light. I travel a lot for business, so I've learned to be a good plane sleeper.

Where do you get those buckwheat pillows from and the mask that keeps all the light out. Can you remember the name brand of mask so I can see about getting it here in Canada. Never thought about disposable ear plugs...I will look into that at the drugs store probably.

My neck pillow is from Bucky. It was given to me years ago by my aunt, who would never pay $10.00 for something if she could find the same thing for $30.00. I found the same thing at http://www.comfortchannel.com/prod.itml/icOid/4451,

My eye mask is from Lewis N. Clark. I purchased it at a local travel store, but I found the same thing at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007TBZT4/002-3314472-5138428?v=glance

I bought the buckwheat hull pillow from Bucky and though it's lightweight, it's still bulky and for me, it just takes up too much room in my carry-on. So I use the inflatable pillows and they're wonderful. Yes, the Bucky's are probably a little better, but the inflatable take up no room.

As someone else pointed out, for optimum comfort, don't inflate them fully.

Jane

Hi,

I use the wax earplugs which are available at any drug store. You can mold them to your ears and they do a good job of buffering noise. The other synthetic ones cause an allergic reaction in my ears and I get itchy ears. Then I can't sleep.

Sheila

I use the buckwheat pillow even for car travel and it makes all the difference in the world. Have had neck surgery w/plate and screws in there, so from time to time I do have pain. "Mack's Ear Plugs" (wax) are what we like the best. Started using those when our now 40 yr old son had tubes put in his ears at age 3. I had an inflatable pillow but it just wasn't the same as the buckwheat - and I even think the foam are better than the inflatable. Usually they have some real nice ones at TJ MAXX, have found them there for gifts.

I have this super fat one filled with polystyrene tiny beads I think. It's quite fat and very supportive. The blow up ones are uncomfortable, smell really bad, often have an edge to their moulding that cuts into your next and are about worth the $2 you pay for them. I also have padded Samsonite brand eye shades that are very comfortable as the padded bit goes over and under your eyes and blocks out all light. They have a tiny pouch in them for earplugs. With all that and some poweful drugs I sometimes get some sleep - every O/S flight we take from Aus is hours and hours, so you have to find a way to sleep if you want to arrive in even 50% health.

Note if ever coming to Australia, the buckwheat ones would not be allowed in by customs - no seeds of any type whatsover, no argument.

Thanks all for your great suggestions!

I did look at a few of the websites provided, unfortunately, many do not ship to Canada. However, there are a few items that can be purchased here and I will look into these. I was curiosity as to whether they really do help, particulary the neck device.

I had just about made up my mind to get the buckwheat, then I saw Lahore's comment of them not being allowed in Australia,:(. I wouldn't be surprised if the same rules apply then, to Europe. And in fact, we are taking a cruise in 2007 to Australia. Soooooo, it looks like its back to plastic. I am sure something, is better than nothing. Thank you all again for your great advice.

Thanks all for your great suggestions!

Hi

I am from Canada also and I am wondering if Ikea may have some neck pillows made of cloth. I bought one for my grandson a year or so ago and its not that bulky. If you find a place that sells a nice one can you post...maybe I could purchase the same outwest here. I need mine by December. Enjoy your travels!!!!!

I bought my nice comfy leopard skin one (it's such a joke) at LA airport, and it cost about USD$12, so they definitely have them in US. Yes it's big, but a I just shove it into the handles on my wheel-on bag, so it sits on top. It weights absolutely nothing. Don't buy a blow up jobbie if you can avoid it, they're horrible.

Hi, I just also checked out the link to that Lewis Clarke eye mask on Amazon and was looks quite similar to my 'samsonite' one trouble is you can't see the otherside, which is the important part as it has the little padded bits along the top and bottom to block the light and feels really comfy. Could try Samsonite stores....

Lahore - Going to Guam later this month. Wonder if the same rules regarding my buckwheat buddy apply there. Guess I'd better take the foam to be on the safe side. Our younger son did a semester in Australia from college. He was at the U of N S Wales. Got to travel extensively with student groups. Loved it. My husband has always been so sorry we did not visit while he was there, but we were both still working (and paying for college for 3 kids) at that time.

Hi PA Nana. I wouldn't know about Guam, it probably isn't the same in terms of quarantine rules. Australia probably rules the world in terms of Quarantine strictness - being a huge island and all that, we are fortunate in not having so many diseases such as Mad Cow, Foot and Mouth etc., and having so many animals that are unique to this place. Agriculture has always been our biggest export so it's an economic motivation as much as anything I fear, but they are very very strict on bringing in anything at all of organic origin. Glad your son enjoyed Aus - I am a lecturer at one of the Uni's here in Victoria. Come see us some time :)

Archived