Viking Grand European AMS-BUD Aug 2016 photo journal with pre-cruise Amsterdam

mimmy52

Regensburg, August 13

We went through a lot of locks last night, and there were a lot of loud creaking noises that woke me up, but it's the first time I've noticed much noise. I usually turn on the TV to the bow camera in the morning, and today was no exception. I had to take a picture of the fly on the camera.

DSC03293_zpshxfr1crq.jpg

While I was at breakfast (and there was a delicious rice dish this morning that had milk and oranges), the ship docked in Kelheim for those who were taking the all-day excursion to Munich. Their excursion left at 8:30 and, watching from the dining room, it seemed the people on that tour had to walk a narrow path to get to where the busses were. The Munich excursion will be back to the ship at 5:30.

We won't arrive in Regensburg (I have trouble remembering which of these cities ends with burg and which with berg) until 12:30 with our walking tour starting at 2:00.

There was a Viking book in each room that showed the locks we'd go through on this cruise and their heights.

DSC03306_zpsmf60snk5.jpg

This gives you an idea of how many locks there are.

DSC03307_zpst7kjbxfn.jpg

It was a beautiful day to sit on the Aquavit Terrace (we're still on the Main River so sun deck still closed). It was supposed to get into the 70s today but this morning a light sweater was needed.

DSC03298_zpslyh5xlfo.jpg

DSC03299_zpsiyllycsp.jpg

Now when we go through a lock, we will be descending rather than ascending.

DSC03304_zpsq8wwd5um.jpg

At 11:45, PD Sam announced a presentation in the lounge about the Main-Danube canal. He had slides and it was very interesting. Sixty-eight locks between Amsterdam and Budapest.

It seemed a good day to eat lunch on the Aquavit Terrace since the weather was great, and all I did was leave for a few minutes to put my iPad back in my room. That was enough, though, for all the tables in the shade to fill up. So back to the dining room.

The appetizers for lunch

DSC03310_zpsrjehvevn.jpg

Mmm, banana splits for dessert, but no picture. We docked in Regensburg during lunch, and had our walking tour of the city at 2:00. We rafted with a Tauck ship and had to walk through it to get to shore.

But first we had to climb the stairs to the sun deck, walk over to their sun deck, then down through their ship. This is our sun deck with everything dismantled.

DSC03312_zpsnfav0irh.jpg

The Tauck ship

DSC03315_zpsgphsfgdj.jpg

We were to have a 1 1/2 hour included walking tour, free time after. Our guide was Manu, a history major who is working on her PhD. There was some kind of marathon/race happening today, I can't remember what it was for, but we saw orange-shirted runners in a number of places.

DSC03319_zpse1r0pran.jpg

Manu led us through the cobble-street town and told us Regensburg didn't get bombed in WWII because the Messerschmitt factory wasn't too far away and that's what got the heavy bombing.

DSC03321_zpsykeknk0k.jpg

There's a stone bridge but it's being repaired so scaffolding up all over it.

DSC03325_zpskvaezwhn.jpg

DSC03350_zps9umtd5lh.jpg

We saw the Rathaus, then Manu pointed out a couple of houses that had Jewish tombstones embedded in the facade. Hundreds of years ago, the Jews were told they had to leave. Everything they left behind was destroyed, and people would take the tombstones to show their approval.

DSC03348_zpsw5vozuzv.jpg

DSC03352_zpshw0r4evm.jpg

There are also little "stumbling stones" with the names of those from the city who were killed in the holocaust.

DSC03355_zps6yh8u2h0.jpg

Regensburg is known for its towers. There are still 20 left but most are not standalone, they are part of houses. This one looks as though it was overtaken by an early housing development.

DSC03361_zps2chwk6no.jpg

Our tour concluded at the cathedral (Dom of St. Peter) which is also under repair. Since the first part of it was built in the 14th century, I guess a few might be needed.

DSC03364_zpsnhhzxyfi.jpg

Inside the cathedral, we located the smiling angel. I'm beginning to think every cathedral has a smiling angel.

DSC03372_zps92wxxkxt.jpg

Across from the angel is Mary who appears to be signaling Stop! Maybe she's tired of all that angel smirking. Or maybe she doesn't care for what the angel is telling her.

DSC03378_zpsv9hr4yri.jpg

Other photos from the Dom

DSC03379_zps1gjqimsm.jpg

DSC03382_zps2if5yerz.jpg

DSC03385_zps3vwsvre8.jpg

After the Dom, we went shopping. Dee and El wanted wine for their room, and Manu had told them the best place for to get it was the department store.

DSC03396_zpsy6fji5df.jpg

The wine was definitely cheap there, and the sisters said it was very good too. I liked the shape of the bottles on the bottom shelf which I'd seen in other cities we'd visited. It reminded me of the Mateus Rose we used to get years ago.

DSC03395_zps85eaaafq.jpg

The sweet shop we went into had a wonderful scent and many different candies that I couldn't get a picture of because there were a lot of people in front of the glass cases. I did get a photo of chocolate shoes though.

DSC03400_zpsvqsgrsu4.jpg

We all found something as we shopped. In a small art gallery, I found a ball-shaped object with children dancing in a circle. When we tired of shopping, we found a little café for coffee/tea.

DSC03405_zpsycnischb.jpg

The outside tables were full, so we ventured inside. It was a nice respite.

DSC03404_zpszocrg9ol.jpg

El has been to Regensburg before, maybe more than once, and after we'd shopped our way back to the river, she walked back to the ship while Dee and I walked onto the stone bridge.

DSC03406_zpsvhqdikox.jpg

We had been told to go halfway across for the best pictures.

DSC03409_zpsdhkoknop.jpg

DSC03411_zpsif5iugbi.jpg

Returning from the halfway point

DSC03419_zpsjqqkeo8e.jpg

DSC03414_zpsma8yxivw.jpg

Our feet told us it was time to go back to the ship

DSC03428_zpswg2143jy.jpg

I took a couple of quick pictures when we went through the Tauck ship's lobby. Their décor seems to be elegance.

DSC03430_zpsbhbakuwa.jpg

DSC03432_zpshflnszxl.jpg

In addition to the walking tour we took, Viking offered a different included walking tour called "Regensburg Jewish Walking Tour" that promised an in-depth focus on the Jewish history of Regensburg. That excursion was for two hours and you had to sign up for it at the reception desk.

As I had done the night before, I left the daily briefing when Sam introduced Chef Johnny so I could hold "our" table. I know what main course the chef recommended, because it was always the first one on the menu, tonight's being Orange and Soy Marinated Grilled Pork Tenderloin with mascarpone polenta, roasted piquillo peppers, aromatic spice jus.

I was having trouble deciding on what I wanted for a main entrée. Should I get the Grilled Marinated Perch with couscous, raisins, balsamic brown butter or the Quinoa & Lentil with poached egg, creamed spinach and hollandaise sauce. So I got a half order of each.

DSC03435_zpsztrfopzt.jpg

And Black Forest cake for dessert. We thought there were a lot of empty tables in the dining room tonight. It could have been that a lot of people ate on the Aquavit Terrace, or those who went to Munich might have had a big lunch, or some decided to eat in Regensburg since we don't cast off until 10:30.

One of the passengers was celebrating his 90th birthday today. This man looked at least 15 years younger than 90, maybe 20 years younger. His whole family was with him, a group of eight altogether. In a few days when we are in Melk, he plans to ride a bike from Melk to Krems. We should all be so healthy.

Tonight was one of the few nights that entertainment (other than piano music or games) was scheduled. "Melodies from the Danube to the Adriatic Sea" with selections from Mozart's The Magic Flute and Verdi's La Traviata, performed by opera singers from Munich and Nuremberg theaters.

We were seated back in a corner near the doors to the lounge, and I couldn't see any of the performers from there. The video screen was right behind me and even when I twisted around I couldn't see it that well. I told Dee and El I was going to stand in the back of the lounge so I could see, but my mistake was that I did this while one of the performers was singing. She grabbed my hand as I walked by. Fortunately, someone walked by right then on the opposite side and the singer grabbed her hand too. She was dressed as a boy and singing from The Marriage of Figaro and didn't miss a beat as she sang and made us dance.

dancing%201_zps46zegevm.jpg

dancing%204_zpsruvhv7co.jpg

dancing%207_zpsm3qv2rqq.jpg

Here she is in another costume. There were three performers altogether.

DSC03444_zpsyliihzbb.jpg

The other female performer

DSC03449_zpsxh7qu0b5.jpg

The entertainment lasted about an hour. After that I sat on the balcony-like place on the third deck to watch cast off. Tomorrow is Passau.

During dinner in Regensburg, I heard some talk of a "boat incident," but I didn't know what they were referring to, just that a motorboat had some sort of accident. It wasn't until the next night at dinner that we learned what had happened.

A couple at our table had one of the Explorer Suites that are at the rear of the ship. He said four guys had a boat that stalled. Four women in another boat started towing them, but they had a weak line and it broke. The guys got into the boat with the women and the abandoned boat drifted into our ship and turned upside down. He had pictures that were amazing of how the boat was hauled up.

The boat upside down under the Vili

Boat1_zpskzl9q4cp.jpg

A man is lowered from the Vili to attach a line to the boat

Boat3_zpsg804bk3l.jpg

Boat5_zpswzthrk8v.jpg

Towing to shore begins

Boat6_zpshp90xr34.jpg

Boat8_zpswyljsydq.jpg

Boat9_zpsygvo9dtn.jpg

That would have been a good night for the sun deck to be open. Unfortunately, it wasn't, but I was glad to see the pictures our dinner companion took.

Passau, August 14

It was a little foggy early this morning, but that quickly burned off and it became a beautiful day. When I went up to breakfast, the Vili was docked at Passau Schalding. Passengers who signed up for the optional Salzburg Highlights excursion boarded their busses here for an 8:15 departure. It is about about 1 1/2 hours each way, and Dee and El are on that trip. As soon as all Salzburg people were off, the ship moved on to Passau, after first going through another lock. The included Passau walking tour doesn't start until 9:45, so time for a leisurely breakfast.

Arriving in Passau

DSC03452_zpszehbzwol.jpg

DSC03453_zpszhqhooul.jpg

We had to walk through a TravelMarvel ship to get to the street. Our guide was Florian who was born and still lives in Passau. He told us some history of Passau and Bavaria. We had officially been in Bavaria for several days, but those cities still thought of themselves as Franconian.

It seems that the first photo I have of each town is as empty as this.

DSC03458_zpsghnyrkjx.jpg

We walked along a street where there are a lot of artists' shops. The street is painted in the middle with a trail leading to their shops. Since today is Sunday, none were open.

DSC03670_zpswi3s0koj.jpg

They also have art work hanging overhead. Florian said each year it changes. One year it was umbrellas hanging, this year it is mobiles.

DSC03459_zpslobblvbd.jpg

DSC03463_zpsvqjfkqzj.jpg

DSC03465_zpsx7loaih7.jpg

DSC03469_zpse1ifjwbo.jpg

Detail on the corner of the Hotel Wilder Mann.

DSC03473_zpspcqckhja.jpg

We saw the Rathaus and they're setting up for a Beer Fest in the plaza in front today. On the front of the Rathaus is a flood marker. The flood in June 2013 was the highest since 1501.

DSC03475_zpsvsoaqdv4.jpg

Across the Danube is the Veste Oberhaus fortress. The date on the building is 1499, the second figure is half of an eight.

DSC03474_zpssxlyfbhu.jpg

You can take a shuttle or walk up to the fortress for a view from the lookout.

DSC03476_zps97tvrr52.jpg

The beer fest already has customers

DSC03478_zpsvvrqw4mf.jpg

All the streets that lead to the Cathedral (our ultimate destination) are steep, but Florian said he was taking us a way that was the less steep.

DSC03481_zpss2z54lgy.jpg

We saw St. Michael's Church which is no longer in operation but we were able to take a peek inside through an iron gate. Florian said that Catholics and Lutherans must pay 8 percent of their income for a church tax which goes toward the upkeep of the churches. The churches still pass around a collection basket though. Jews and Muslims don't have to pay the tax. Declared agnostics don't have to pay the church tax either.

DSC03483_zpsl68qdtq9.jpg

DSC03487_zpsxc9ecefl.jpg

St. George might fight the dragon, but Archangel Michael goes right for the devil.

DSC03484_zpsif0i8uov.jpg

He took us down stairs that led to the River Inn, a light colored river.

DSC03493_zps3lw8n6xi.jpg

Florian pointed out the Mariahilf across the river, a place of pilgrimage. There are 321 stairs up to it under a covered walkway, but pilgrims go up on their kneel and pray on each step.

DSC03490_zpseokhli2u.jpg

Florian pointed across the River Inn to show us where his house is. He lives on the third floor, and he didn't leave during the 2013 flood, although his downstairs neighbor's house flooded all the way to the ceiling. People came by in boats to offer food to those like Florian who couldn't get out. When the flood receded, he helped his neighbor dig the mud out, which he said was about hip deep. It would have taken the two of them at least a week, or more, to get all the mud out, but ten people showed up, mostly students, who volunteered to help.

Dogs get a dip in the river

DSC03494_zpskc3g5jgh.jpg

Time to head back up toward the Cathedral

DSC03498_zpsy9fcllcc.jpg

As we made our way to St. Stephen's Cathedral, passing the Bishop's New Residenz, he gave us more history about the Dom. And we passed men and women in traditional Bavarian clothing that Florian said they sometimes wore to church. Our guide yesterday mentioned it was also often worn to weddings. We see it in the stores and it is expensive.

DSC03504_zpsuuoqtc3c.jpg

Naturally there is scaffolding on part of St. Stephen's.

DSC03505_zps4y5civtq.jpg

A fountain near the Dom.

DSC03507_zpsmsgqpz25.jpg

The Bishop's Residenz

DSC03509_zpsbj7goo7r.jpg

Getting closer to the Dom

DSC03512_zpselerft2t.jpg

We made it. The tour of Passau usually includes an organ recital in the church, but that doesn't happen on Sunday. There was a church service starting at 11:30, so we were able to go in, take a few pictures before the service began, and then sit and hear the organ as it started Mass. It's the largest organ in a cathedral in Europe.

DSC03516copy_zpsjvcti72i.jpg

These men in traditional garb were in front of the church. They thought it was funny that so many wanted to take their picture.

DSC03517_zpsw4vvnk6m.jpg

DSC03519_zpsmnrltxfc.jpg

Inside the Dom

DSC03520_zpsgubl4j0z.jpg

The organ

DSC03524_zpsvkudnzpp.jpg

The altar

DSC03527_zps7red3sgc.jpg

DSC03530_zpsr41gpjbp.jpg

Holding up the cathedral is a tough job

DSC03534_zpsynmk91j6.jpg

The organ music did sound lovely, but after the opening hymn, I left. It was almost lunch time.

Outside the Dom

DSC03545_zpsr5qmtges.jpg

I was walking back to the ship with a couple from our tour, but we stopped to take photos of each other first.

DSC03547_zpsefb9pxd5.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, TeaBag and flowers. I have a Sony DSC-HX9V point and shoot (although it has a lot of features) that is a few years old. I thought about getting a new camera before the cruise but decided I'd spent enough money already on the trip.

I was back on the ship just in time for lunch and ate on the Aquavit Terrace since it was such a lovely day. I had a vegetarian panini (half) and a smoked salmon quesadilla, some curly fries, chips, and a glass of White wine.

DSC03551_zpsj7dgsd97.jpg

While I was eating, the Vili moved so that the Travel Marvel ship could leave. When the Vili moved next to the dock, the third deck was level with the street, so the second deck people on that side would have a wall view. Inside the Aquavit Terrace, the windows looked right out at street level on people passing by.

DSC03554_zps7nt4es4h.jpg

St. Paul Church viewed from the ship

DSC03559_zpsu12em4mm.jpg

After lunch it was time for more sightseeing. There was an optional excursion this afternoon, Bavarian Cruise & Baroque Town Visit that left at 1:45, although I wanted to explore Passau. The passengers who went on that took a smaller boat on the Inn River to the "quaint little Austrian town of Scharding."

Walking along the Danube near the ship.

DSC03561_zpsidfk9sfs.jpg

I walked along the river to the Rathaus Plaza. There is a shuttle to Veste Oberhaus there. I didn't even try to walk up to the fortress.

DSC03564_zps6jh5jaho.jpg

Off the shuttle, and went the wrong way for the viewing point. Came to the museum.

DSC03566_zpsrutl2fm6.jpg

As I was backtracking to the viewpoint, I came across this sign. I was puzzled since it seemed like there were people making their way up to the fortress by the path.

DSC03568_zpsekvfnczv.jpg

Walking up to the viewpoint

DSC03572_zpskibc72bd.jpg

DSC03573_zpsotulaffc.jpg

DSC03574_zpsjpykxqeo.jpg

There is a restaurant right below the viewpoint

DSC03578_zps6lubxkvb.jpg

DSC03581_zpsutldz4kb.jpg

Passau is known as the City of Three Rivers since its the confluence for the Danube, the Inn, and the Ilz. I hoped to get a photo of the three from the viewpoint. The Inn is the "white" river, the Ilz the "Black Pearl" and the Danube is just kind of muddy, certainly no longer blue. In these photos the Danube is in the foreground and the Inn behind.

DSC03583_zpsmnhilnbn.jpg

DSC03588_zpsbm4llmyf.jpg

My attempt at getting the confluence in a photo

DSC03589_zpsibgfucob.jpg

After viewing for a while, I walked down to the shuttle stop and took the shuttle back to the Rathaus. Near the Rathaus is Hotel Wilder Mann which also houses a glass museum.

DSC03607_zpsiw1rfdg5.jpg

DSC03605_zps9vfpa0rl.jpg

The beer fest on the Rathaus Plaza is going strong.

DSC03608_zpsoi8nzzva.jpg

Detail on the Rathaus

DSC03610_zps5lppt4gq.jpg

I strolled along the Danube toward the other viewpoint, the tip of land where the three rivers meet.

Past the bridge across the Danube

DSC03612_zpsgobydgir.jpg

DSC03614_zpsxid3w4ox.jpg

This was the best photo I could get from the confluence. The ship "My Story" was docked right there and blocked a lot of the view. Those on the ship must have had a great view though.

DSC03615_zpswjpa39ix.jpg

Walking back past some of the other ships docked in Passau

DSC03616_zpsa4jph2cn.jpg

There's a pedestrian pathway on the Danube bridge. I walked across.

DSC03622_zpsy4zb8c02.jpg

From the bridge

DSC03624_zpscq9slkmv.jpg

Continuing on the other side of the bridge

DSC03627_zpsf80jucop.jpg

DSC03631_zpsklnzqej7.jpg

DSC03632_zpso488tg6m.jpg

Once through an archway (being careful to stay out of the way of bikes) I came to a bridge across the River Ilz, a much narrower and darker river here than either the Danube or Inn. The reflections of sky make the river look blue except near the bridge.

DSC03638_zpsf7v3dj2m.jpg

From the other side of that small bridge

DSC03642_zpsp1dgayfm.jpg

I continued walking along the River Ilz

DSC03647_zpslmfvckva.jpg

You can almost see three colors where the rivers converge.

DSC03648_zpsno5qymll.jpg

Walked back and took this shot from the Danube bridge

DSC03658_zpsmmyzcbdz.jpg

I needed directions to an ATM so I stopped at the Tourist Information Center in the Rathaus. There were some cute shops along the way to the ATM, but since it was Sunday, they were closed. After getting my euros, I went down one of the narrow streets back toward the riverfront and had the good luck of it being the street with the Plague Door, one of the things on my list.

DSC03685_zpsutjsef0s.jpg

Again good luck, when I turned the corner at the riverfront there was a place selling ice cream. I stopped and got two scoops of schokolade (chocolate) in a cup and it cost only one euro.

DSC03682_zpsfljydix9.jpg

At that point, my feet told me it was time to go back to the ship.

DSC03691_zpsfsz2zooj.jpg