pre-paid gratuities

stilltogether

I'm a bartender and I can't see myself not tipping my fellow bartenders. Will I get strange looks if I leave a dollar/drink? Or if I just hook them up with a 10/20/whatever in the beginning? :)

If you want to give more than the 15-18% that is added to each drink then feel free to do so

I however would not give them 10/20 upfront it may appear them as an insult that you feel they cannot give you good service

If you use the same bartender throughout the cruise by all means give them 10/20 on the last night

YMMV

Edited by LHT28

We always tip a couple of dollars for room service. My husband will tip the room steward at the very beginning (rather generously) with special instructions and we will never want for nothing the rest of the cruise.

If we have a constant waiter and bartender we do the same.

We have never done that and have also "never want[ed] for nothing the rest of the cruise." We do tip extra at the end for better than expected service. I think that your bribe isn't as effective as you might want to think it is. I tend to believe that they will work just as hard trying to earn that extra tip at the end of the cruise as you think they will do by buying their service in advance. :)

Edited by sloopsailor

We have never done that and have also "never want[ed] for nothing the rest of the cruise." We do tip extra at the end for better than expected service. I think that your bribe isn't as effective as you might want to think it is. I tend to believe that they will work just as hard trying to earn that extra tip at the end of the cruise as you think they will do by buying their service in advance. :)

We have seen and experienced the difference past to present. These employees are on these ships to make a living than just to work hard to put a smile on your face:rolleyes:

And yes it works very well......call it bribery if you wish. They are making a living!

We have seen and experienced the difference past to present. These employees are on these ships to make a living than just to work hard to put a smile on your face:rolleyes:

And yes it works very well......call it bribery if you wish. They are making a living!

Still not convinced it makes a difference.

Besides, I have a moral problem with putting people in a position of owing me something for my benefit. Bribing them, and it is a bribe, is not how I prefer to interact with others. I prefer rewarding someone based on their performance, not a forced obligation of that performance based on their indebtedness to me.

According to Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

"bribe

noun \ˈbrīb\

Simple Definition of bribe

: something valuable (such as money) that is given in order to get someone to do something

Full Definition of bribe

1: money or favor given in order to influence the judgment or conduct of a person in a position of trust

2: something that serves to induce or influence

Still not convinced it makes a difference.

I've only ever tipped my Cabin Steward at the end of a cruise and have never had service that wasn't exceptional. I personally think it is crass to tip in the beginning, as it is paying them in advance to take care of you, Wonder what people do if their expectations are not met and they already tipped the Cabin Steward.

I've only ever tipped my Cabin Steward at the end of a cruise and have never had service that wasn't exceptional. I personally think it is crass to tip in the beginning, as it is paying them in advance to take care of you, Wonder what people do if their expectations are not met and they already tipped the Cabin Steward.

Same with us. We have never tipped in advance, and have gotten very good service almost every time. To me, tipping in advance is an insult. It is as if you were telling them "I don't trust that you will take good care of me, so I will tip you up front so you will owe me. If I leave it up to you, you won't do a good job. I am certain that I will have to force you to do it."

I have done it both ways and have not seen a difference in service. If we get exceptional room service then we add more at the end. I like having my trip/fees/excursions paid for in advance. More $$ for shopping! It really is about your personal choice and not the service you will or won't receive - in my opinion.

kbs19 - I love to travel!