Obstructed Views on Jewel Balcony

Can anyone tell me just HOW obstructed the view is on the Jewel Deck 7 balcony cabins? Sometimes, it's only a matter of a pole in the way and not an entire lifeboat. If you've had one of those cabins or have photos to support it that would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

Edited by cjdixon4
missed a word

Is there a particular cabin that you are considering, Judi? We had a mid-ship balcony on Deck 7 on the Serenade. The 'obstruction' you're referring to is likely the lifeboat cover. This thread will illustrate that, providing quite a few photos of Deck 7 on Radiance class: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=47574475#post47574475. It should help you choose a Deck 7 location, although on Radiance class a higher deck is preferred- if available. Also, have you considered the aft (fantail) of the ship? Category D1 #9256 is the most popular balcony, without booking a suite. ;)

Is there a particular cabin that you are considering, Judi? We had a mid-ship balcony on Deck 7 on the Serenade. The 'obstruction' you're referring to is likely the lifeboat cover. This thread will illustrate that, providing quite a few photos of Deck 7 on Radiance class: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=47574475#post47574475. It should help you choose a Deck 7 location, although on Radiance class a higher deck is preferred- if available. Also, have you considered the aft (fantail) of the ship? Category D1 #9256 is the most popular balcony, without booking a suite. ;)

Interesting information, thanks much jmf123. The available Jewel balcony cabins that I was checking out were kind of mid to forward on deck 7. It would be interesting to know what the experience of obstructed views was for those who have booked those cabins. I've known people who were fine with those balconys as long as they were standing up. Once they sat down in the chairs, they could see nothing. Also, it didn't appear that the price of those cabins were any less than the unobstructed views. Oh well...I'd like to hear from some more about their thoughts on them. :cool:

We just stayed at cabin 7622 on Jewel in July. That particular cabin is described as "obstructed" which is strange. I mean - I would give that definition to almost all the balcony cabins on deck 7. Only those on hump have no obstruction, I believe.

So there is the "roof" of the lifeboats on deck 6 which gives this obstructed view. Our cabin had also a service hatch/latch (whatever it is called- there is a tiny door on the roof) just in front of our balcony. I never saw anybody actually opening that so I would not call it an obstruction. But the whole roof is indeed obstructing my view! I could see the sea if I put my glance further out. But you just could not lean over an see the sea below you. That is absolutely not possible.

I've got 3 photos uploaded into my blog - which is unfortunately completely in Finnish - but you can at least see the photos if your Finnish is a bit rusty. :p

https://sitajaksaaparemminkunonjotain.blogspot.com

our booking was made as "guarantee balcony", so there was not much I could do, when this cabin was assigned to us. We cannot change guarantee bookings (European booking rule). And having paid what we did (we booked just 45 days before the cruise), I was fine with the cabin. But that I would NOT book any of these cabins on deck 7 if I was paying full price and had any possibility of choosing my cabin myself.

Should you have any further questions, feel free to ask.