Haines vs. Skagwat

mrobinson

I'm looking at cruises (Princess vs Holland) and the main difference is that Holland goes to Haines and Princess goes to Skagway.

Which is a preferable port. I know that they are near each other and if you land I. Haines you can take at a cost boat over to Skagway.

Is there anything worth doing in Haines or is it usually preferable to be in Skagway.

I'm finding that the Holland cruises see a little cheaper than Princess but if we plan on visiting Skagway and have to pay to get there from Haines maybe it is better to just go with Princess.

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

We are doing land portion on our own so that doesn't figure into the equation on picking a cruise line.

Holland America will go to Skagway on itineraries between Vancouver and Seward and on the return trip will go to Haines which is a nice change for people doing a 14 day back to back. If you want to go to Skagway then choose that itinerary. There is a lot more to see and do in Skagway.

Haines and Skagway are pretty much at the 2 extremes of Alaska ports. Skagway is loaded with ships, people, and jewelry/gift shops, and is focused on the ships so has a lot of excursions. Haines is a real Alaskan community that gets a ship every few days, so has no shops aimed at cruisers, and far fewer excursions. It depends on what you're looking for.

I love both ports but as has been pointed out they are very different. Skagway has lots of Gold Rush history and the amazing White Pass/Yukon Railroad excursion which is truly worthwhile. There is a lot to choose from in Skagway in terms of activities and it is just a really fun port.

Haines on the other hand is much quieter and the menu of excursion options is smaller. But it is a truly stunning place with great natural beauty and wildlife viewing opportunities as well as the feeling of real Alaska with locals who live and work there year round and make it a truly charming small town experience.

I guess if it were a first and possibly only trip to Alaska I would choose Skagway because of the Gold Rush history and train experience and also just greater selection of activities. But you can't go wrong with either port!