Decent but reasonably cheap hotel for 4 in august

toxicfairy

Here is the issue will be cruising on Liberty next August out of Galveston. First time out of that port. I was looking at Comfort inn because we stayed at one in Florida and it was nice. Was wondering if any one has stayed at the one in Galveston and is it decent and is it fairly close to the port and lastly are there any stores or restaurants close by it? I have no idea and have been reading every post I can find. There will be 4 of us. In your opinion is there a better choice for a family? We will be flying in to Hobby air port the night before and (fingers crossed ) staying the night after just to have a bit more fun:) Thank you for any and all help

Here is the issue will be cruising on Liberty next August out of Galveston. First time out of that port. I was looking at Comfort inn because we stayed at one in Florida and it was nice. Was wondering if any one has stayed at the one in Galveston and is it decent and is it fairly close to the port and lastly are there any stores or restaurants close by it? I have no idea and have been reading every post I can find. There will be 4 of us. In your opinion is there a better choice for a family? We will be flying in to Hobby air port the night before and (fingers crossed ) staying the night after just to have a bit more fun:) Thank you for any and all help

I am assuming Liberty of the Seas since that seems to be the line you have cruised on before. You should know that the Carnival Liberty also goes out of Galveston. Pre cruise hotels for Liberty of the Seas will probably be higher since that would be Saturday night and also the Carnival Breeze leaves the same day. Two large ships means a lot of people needing a hotel room. Sorry I can't help you with that hotel as we always stay near Hobby airport (much less $).

Edited by luv2trvlnow

If you are going to stay in Galveston, I would suggest that you book as early as possible because the prices go way up the closer you get.

I can't answer your specific questions but someone else will probably be able to.

I am assuming Liberty of the Seas since that seems to be the line you have cruised on before. You should know that the Carnival Liberty also goes out of Galveston. Pre cruise hotels for Liberty of the Seas will probably be higher since that would be Saturday night and also the Carnival Breeze leaves the same day. Two large ships means a lot of people needing a hotel room. Sorry I can't help you with that hotel as we always stay near Hobby airport (much less $).

yes sorry about that we are sailing Royal Caribbean.

If you are going to stay in Galveston, I would suggest that you book as early as possible because the prices go way up the closer you get.

I can't answer your specific questions but someone else will probably be able to.

It's not until next August (2017) but yes I know and it is a Saturday so it will be crazy. I can't book the flights until 6 months out and the Hotels I'm not sure but I know it's probably around the same 6 month window. That is why I'm trying to research and figure things out now so I have a plan in place. Trying to stay closer to the port area simply because we won't have a car and a taxi for 4 (3 being woman) is a lot of luggage. Don't want to have to get one from the air port to hotel then hotel to ship

Edited by toxicfairy

It's not until next August (2017) but yes I know and it is a Saturday so it will be crazy. I can't book the flights until 6 months out and the Hotels I'm not sure but I know it's probably around the same 6 month window. That is why I'm trying to research and figure things out now so I have a plan in place. Trying to stay closer to the port area simply because we won't have a car and a taxi for 4 (3 being woman) is a lot of luggage. Don't want to have to get one from the air port to hotel then hotel to ship

If you are wanting a hotel that you can walk to the ship from, they are very limited. Those would be Harbor House and Hotel Galvez. Those are usually expensive and often require a 2 night stay.

Most of the hotels are on Seawall Boulevard and will require transportation to the port.

How are you getting to Galveston from Hobby? It is about 45-50 minutes from Galveston Island.

Also you can start looking for a hotel about a year ahead of when you are going to be there. Some may not be taking reservations yet but will be soon. It would be your best chance at getting a good rate. Just make sure it is one you can cancel without a penalty.

Edited by luv2trvlnow

Some usually start booking about a year out. That is when I book because I can't afford $300 or $400. If something better becomes available, I would book it but so far this hasn't happened.

I wish you good luck on your research.

The Tremont and Harbor House are the only two hotels walking distance to the port. The Galvez is on Seawall, though all three are sister hotels and provide transportation between the three.

Accommodations are expensive in Galveston (vs. Texas City) as the Island is a resort and destination. Summer is the high season until after Labor Day with the majority requiring a two night stay. There is always the possibility of one night when nearer your cruise date.

With almost 100,000 passengers going through Galveston the first 6 months of this year, hotel space is at a premium.

Some hotels provide transportation to the port and taxis are approximately $15 from Seawall to Port though on ship arrival days, taxis are hard to find.

The Island has a new ride service called getme , as Uber is not licensed to serve the Island, which you could check for rates.

Thank you. No I'm not looking for something within walking distance just close enough that they would have a shuttle. That way we can get a "taxi" or some kind of service to get us to the hotel and then just get a shuttle to the ship. Maybe even rent a car to get from the airport to the hotel if there is a place to return it close enough. I think I'm still going to look at Comfort Inn they have a shuttle to the ship and a beach across the street. Also breakfast which just some bagels or something quick is fine. Plus it looks as if there are some restaurants and stores close by. They aren't booking yet I'll just keep looking. I went on tripadvisor.com and it had mixed reviews mostly good and I take reviews with a grain of salt (best campground I ever stayed at had some of the worst reviews) plus I hear Royal Caribbean has really bad MDR food , yet some how we really enjoy it...haha. I'm cruising out of Galveston only because I can only do summer cruises ( work in a school) and I wanted to go back to Grand Cayman where we got married and this was the cheapest cruise I found with the dates that worked for me.

I'll have to look into that getme.

Edited by toxicfairy

The Tremont and Harbor House are the only two hotels walking distance to the port. The Galvez is on Seawall, though all three are sister hotels and provide transportation between the three.

Accommodations are expensive in Galveston (vs. Texas City) as the Island is a resort and destination. Summer is the high season until after Labor Day with the majority requiring a two night stay. There is always the possibility of one night when nearer your cruise date.

With almost 100,000 passengers going through Galveston the first 6 months of this year, hotel space is at a premium.

Some hotels provide transportation to the port and taxis are approximately $15 from Seawall to Port though on ship arrival days, taxis are hard to find.

The Island has a new ride service called getme , as Uber is not licensed to serve the Island, which you could check for rates.

Thank you for correcting my misinformation. Like I said when we have sailed out of Galveston we have stayed near Hobby. We used to spent some time down that way but haven't for about 15 years. My in-laws used to live in Lake Jackson and we would visit Galveston a couple times a year.