Fantasy - No balconies :( Oceanview vs Suite?

Alliegatore

I would recommend a Balcony only on a longer cruise of at least 6 days, and with stops in at least 3 or 4 ports. I like being on the balcony for arrival at the port or departing the port. I have also been in an Ocean View, but rarely looked out the window. This year we will have 2 interior rooms to save money, but with 5 young children with us, 10 - 17 years old, who could care less about a balcony, we would rather spend the money on excursions and things on board.

We are taking a cruise next year and was sad to find out there's no balcony rooms on the Fantasy. We have only cruised in interiors and OV so I really wanted to experience a balcony.

The cost of a OV is $300ish pp vs $875ish pp for a suite with balcony. I just don't know if I can justify spending an extra $1100-1200 for a balcony.

Do you think it's worth it?

Thanks!

Its a very personal choice. We have cruised the Fantasy out of SC in March, and for this very reason we did an OV. We are balcony people and while we had fun on the cruise, this ranks as our worst cruise for this very reason. We logically decided that because it was SC and March, that we wouldn't use a balcony for 1.5 days down and the same back. That was accurate. What we didn't count on was not having the couch; it only has a small hard backed chair in the corner. Which meant we needed to get in bed to watch a movie, read or just sit and talk. We work hard and we cruise to relax and reconnect - and on this cruise we were forced to the public decks to sit and chat. Hubby and I both said never again - only cruise with a balcony.

• 2 weeks later...

We are sailing from Mobile in April and opted for a GS. The cabin is 330 sq ft plus a 70 sq ft balcony. Having sailed on this ship before, I know the extra space is worth the money. I would never choose a so-called balcony cabin on Veranda Deck as those cabins are only slightly larger than a standard OV cabin and the balcony is less than 25 sq ft with absolutely no privacy!