Fantasy - No balconies :( Oceanview vs Suite?

Alliegatore

We are taking a cruise next year and was sad to find out there's no balcony rooms on the Fantasy. We have only cruised in interiors and OV so I really wanted to experience a balcony.

The cost of a OV is $300ish pp vs $875ish pp for a suite with balcony. I just don't know if I can justify spending an extra $1100-1200 for a balcony.

Do you think it's worth it?

Thanks!

The grand suites on the Fantasy class ships are nice. The junior suites are very small and the balconies are not private at all.

On Fantasy class ships the OV and Interior rooms are the same size, at least in my experience. The larger ships have a couch in the room, but Fantasy class OV cabins do not have a couch, they barely have room for a chair. The grand suites have a couch.

We are taking a cruise next year and was sad to find out there are no balcony rooms on the Fantasy. We have only cruised in interiors and OV so I really wanted to experience a balcony.

The cost of a OV is $300ish pp vs $875ish pp for a suite with balcony. I just don't know if I can justify spending an extra $1100-1200 for a balcony.

Thanks!

Having been on the Fantasy recently I can tell you, much like everything else in life, you get what you pay for. For the $300 OV, it's a deal but it's a smaller, old and tired ship...even if it does have the FunShip 2.0 Upgrades. The crew was great though and no complaints. Go for it.

Holy Hannah! I just noticed, this is just your second post in almost three years? ;)

I am normally a balcony cabin cruiser, but only do OV if I have to pay up to a suite category to get one. How long is the cruise? Is it port intensive? Do you spend a lot of time in your room? Only you can decide if it's worth it, but for me I'd rather cruise twice for the money. But people that do inside cabins probably think the same about my balcony cabin. Lol.

I have had both types of cabins on the Ecstasy, a fantasy class ship. I was very disappointed with the Suite. I am a tall person, around 5'10" - If I had the balcony chair facing the ocean, and I wanted to sit in the chair, I could not fit my legs. I had to turn the chair sideways. It was the smallest balcony out of all the cruises I have taken. In May I was on Elation, we had an OV on Deck 6, I think (it might have been 5). It was mid ship and close to the lobby bar. The cabin was nice, true it is old, but we had plenty of room for the 2 of us. It is really a waste of money for you to spring for the balcony. Wait and use it on a cruise with a newer ship.

Either way, I hope you have a wonderful time.

We did a B2B on Fantasy and went from an OV to a suite between the two cruises. How we wished we had stayed in the OV! The same would go for an interior. There were three of us, myself along with DH and DS (6'4"). The extra room was nice, but the AC in the V Cabins (suites) really did not work. The people in the cruise before (when we had the OV) were complaining that it didn't work then, either. We got some OBC and a giant fan that sounded like a jet engine. Not worth it. Don't know if they've fixed the AC during the dry dock but I would start a separate thread asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
I have had both types of cabins on the Ecstasy, a fantasy class ship. I was very disappointed with the Suite. I am a tall person, around 5'10" - If I had the balcony chair facing the ocean, and I wanted to sit in the chair, I could not fit my legs. I had to turn the chair sideways. It was the smallest balcony out of all the cruises I have taken.

Really? My husband is 6' and could sit facing the ocean just fine on the Fantasy.

This pic shows the width of the balcony.

image.jpg.e3b7b6a31a3b28dfc4d4b9087ea5a351.jpg

Edited by Chris1088

We are taking a cruise next year and was sad to find out there's no balcony rooms on the Fantasy. We have only cruised in interiors and OV so I really wanted to experience a balcony.

Thanks!

How about a nicer ship.

Thanks!

Since you haven't gotten hooked on Balconies yet, I'd hold off till you're planning a cruise on a ship that has lots of balconies at a reasonable price.

While there are exceptions, most cruisers who try a balcony don't go back once they've cruised in one... So I suggest you get your fill of the Fantasy class before you get hooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Really? My husband is 6' and could sit facing the ocean just fine on the Fantasy.

This pic shows the width of the balcony.

I believe the other poster was talking about the Verandah suite balconies. They are ridiculously narrow and I agree about the legroom on them. The cost of the Verandah suite is not worth it compared to the OV.

OP - wow I'm glad I saw your post today as I was wondering the same thing - the difference between OV and Suite was $550. But the whole reason I want to sail out of Mobile is it is only a 236 mile drive - no air fare - no hotels - easy drive. But here is what is is bothering me - no sofa. The idea of sitting on the bed makes my back ache. I think there is a wooden chair or something. I know the room is on the smallish side which is ok. Since I am doing a 4 night cruise and will probably want to spend every minute I can out of the room I guess we will be ok (in spite of being 71/80 year old seniors). Let us know what you plan on doing! I would definitely do a different cruise but don't want to drive to Ft. Lauderdale or Cape Canaveral!

If you're going on the Fantasy next year then you're talking about a 4 or 5 day cruise to Cozumel (and maybe Progresso). A suite wouldn't be worth it to me. I'll be on the Fantasy in January and we went with a porthole room. It's the same size as an OV, but a bit cheaper. The real reason I went with a PT is because it's my husband's first cruise and I think he'll dig the portholes.

OP - wow I'm glad I saw your post today as I was wondering the same thing - the difference between OV and Suite was $550. But the whole reason I want to sail out of Mobile is it is only a 236 mile drive - no air fare - no hotels - easy drive. But here is what is is bothering me - no sofa. The idea of sitting on the bed makes my back ache. I think there is a wooden chair or something. I know the room is on the smallish side which is ok. Since I am doing a 4 night cruise and will probably want to spend every minute I can out of the room I guess we will be ok (in spite of being 71/80 year old seniors). Let us know what you plan on doing! I would definitely do a different cruise but don't want to drive to Ft. Lauderdale or Cape Canaveral!

I'm not sure where you're driving from, but you're probably near me (I'm 287 miles from Mobile). When I did the math there really wasn't *that* much difference between Mobile, NOLA, Jacksonville, or Charleston for me. An extra hour driving at most. You might want to check the actual distances, you might be surprised.

I forgot to mention one thing about the Fantasy-Class ships w/ balconies. Since there's a limited amount of them, Carnival jacks the price up on them. You would get a way better deal on a balcony on another class. Just looking at the Sensation and the Victory, the balconies are much higher for the Sensation... So that's another reason to stick with an OV on the Fantasy Class.