Uber and the Port of Miami

CruzerDeb

There was a point in time where Uber was having a dispute with the folks in Broward County (Port Everglades) and they were not able to operate at all in that county. However, they have since resolved that dispute and are now able to operate there.

We used Uber all over Ft Lauderdale and Miami in May. We flew into FLL and took Uber to our hotel in Miami. The only time we didn't use Uber was from our hotel (Holiday Inn Port of Miami) to the port, only because there were cabs outside waiting and it was such a short distance. But we took Uber out of the port back to Ft Lauderdale. It was so easy, quick and it was our first time, and there were 3 of us, so we had a few free rides and referral freebies between us.

We used Uber all over Ft Lauderdale and Miami in May. We flew into FLL and took Uber to our hotel in Miami. The only time we didn't use Uber was from our hotel (Holiday Inn Port of Miami) to the port, only because there were cabs outside waiting and it was such a short distance. But we took Uber out of the port back to Ft Lauderdale. It was so easy, quick and it was our first time, and there were 3 of us, so we had a few free rides and referral freebies between us.

Do you remember the cost from FLL to Miami? I'm assuming you opened the app in FLL and requested what you wanted, nothing prearranged...?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not only did we use UBER in May to go from the port of Miami to Ft. Lauderdale, but it was by far the fastest and most efficient way to get there. We walked off the ship shortly after 7:00am, I requested the ride, our driver pulled up within 60 seconds, and we were at the Ft Lauderdale Airport by 7:45am in time to standby for an 8:45am flight! And the cost was about half of what a taxi would've charged. It was the best decision, specially after witnessing the long and non-moving lines of people waiting for a taxi, shuttle, or cruise line bus to leave the port.

Do you remember the cost from FLL to Miami? I'm assuming you opened the app in FLL and requested what you wanted, nothing prearranged...?

The cost was about $35 for the 4 of us. Nothing prearranged. Tons of drivers milling around the airport and port so your ride will be there within minutes. Our driver was literally waiting in front of the terminal when we requested the ride and took him less than a minute to get to us.

I personally wouldn't use UBER but if you have Verizon and have NEVER used UBER you can get a free ride on verizonwireless.com in the REWARDS section.

Why not? I felt apprehensive before I tried it too. It's actually safer IMHO because there is a record of who is picking you up, you are tracked in real time via GPS, and no cash ever exchanges hands unless you wish to tip.

As a female that travels solo, I can tell you that I feel WAY safer in an Uber. The driver calls you from their cell before they pick you up and you have a picture of them and the description of their car including license plate. All this is digitally tracked and easily accessible should something happen. Compare that to a taxi where no one has any idea you have gotten in one at all, and you can be taken anywhere with no one the wiser.

Actually you can get your first ride free up to $15 or $20 by searching various coupon codes and you don't have to use any points. Mine was through IHG. $20 credit for first ride plus 2,000 bonus IHG points. Then you have your friends sign up under you and they get their next ride free and then you get another one.

Why not? I felt apprehensive before I tried it too. It's actually safer IMHO because there is a record of who is picking you up, you are tracked in real time via GPS, and no cash ever exchanges hands unless you wish to tip.

As a female that travels solo, I can tell you that I feel WAY safer in an Uber. The driver calls you from their cell before they pick you up and you have a picture of them and the description of their car including license plate. All this is digitally tracked and easily accessible should something happen. Compare that to a taxi where no one has any idea you have gotten in one at all, and you can be taken anywhere with no one the wiser.

Actually you can get your first ride free up to $15 or $20 by searching various coupon codes and you don't have to use any points. Mine was through IHG. $20 credit for first ride plus 2,000 bonus IHG points. Then you have your friends sign up under you and they get their next ride free and then you get another one.

Agree 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it possible to get Uber for 4 people plus luggage? We've never done Uber and I'm not sure if they mostly have cars or if any have mini-vans.

In my experience the UberX holds four people but may or may not have room for all the luggage. The XLs should have enough room. You can either request an UberX and if there is not enough room you can request a second one, or just request an UberXL when you place the initial request.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
If Uber can pick up at Miami port I'm assuming they can drop off, too? We'll be flying in FLL and need to get directly to port. Never used Uber, but seems like the way to go.

Yes they can drop you at POM. ;)

What time do you arrive, assuming your flight is no delayed or cancelled? :confused: The ride from FLL to POM takes 45-60+ minutes depending upon traffic and the day of the week. Most ships require you to be at check-in NLT 90-120 minutes (check your boarding documents) before sail away time.

Flying in the day of your cruise is always a crap-shoot :eek: - I prefer not to gamble with my vacation. Good luck! :)

Used uber from FLL to POM, and then Lyft from Pom to Fll just bc of coupon codes. Super quick, super easy and cheaper than a shuttle with the coupon codes, would only have been a few dollars more for the 2 of us without the codes. I would totally use uber or Lyft again next cruise. The drivers were waiting at the airport and cruise terminal waiting to pick up fares, so we had someone within 2 minutes.

Used uber from FLL to POM, and then Lyft from Pom to Fll just bc of coupon codes. Super quick, super easy and cheaper than a shuttle with the coupon codes, would only have been a few dollars more for the 2 of us without the codes. I would totally use uber or Lyft again next cruise. The drivers were waiting at the airport and cruise terminal waiting to pick up fares, so we had someone within 2 minutes.

Thanks for the feedback!

Care to share what the Uber/Lyft fares were for each trip, not counting your discounts? Were they the same?