Rental car for the day in Barbados?

katjoeus

Has anyone done this, was it easy and stress-free? Is there even a car rental place close to dock?

Hubby and I are torn as to what to do; we're not a big fan of organized tours (plus they get so expensive!!) and we'd love to just drive around and stop where the fancy takes us, but on the other hand, dealing with rental cars can be stressful...And if the weather is inclement, we'd be stuck with a reservation, I guess??

It really is a perfect island to have your own vehicle. Lots of great beaches and roadside snacks to take advantage of. They drive on the left so this can take some getting used to.

As for bad weather I would think a car would be even more useful in this case.

It really is a perfect island to have your own vehicle. Lots of great beaches and roadside snacks to take advantage of. They drive on the left so this can take some getting used to.

As for bad weather I would think a car would be even more useful in this case.

Thanks for your positive comment! I appreciate it. Will look at some organized tours some more but might just do the car after all; the only thing I'm concerned about is the fact that there doesn't seem to be a rental car office right at the pier, but that someone would probably come to meet us there with the car - which can be an awkward situation as if there's something wrong with the car, it's not like one can choose another one...but I suppose since we don't have to give a credit card at reservation, one could just refuse it?

In principle, driving on the left (or as I like to call it "wrong"!) side of the road SHOULD be easy for us because we lived in the UK for 3.5 years...however, that was 5 years ago :D

In principle, driving on the left (or as I like to call it "wrong"!) side of the road SHOULD be easy for us because we lived in the UK for 3.5 years...however, that was 5 years ago :D

I just had to comment -- we were in the same situation on our recent trip to England, although it had been THIRTY years since we lived there for 3 years. Maybe it is because we are older now, and maybe it was that we were traversing the outlying areas of Cornwall and Devon, with the high hedgerows, hairpin turns, and tiny roads, but it was VERY stressful! Still a wonderful trip, but after 3 days we were very happy to return our rental!