In the Footsteps of the Cossacks - Kiev - Black Sea - Kiev

trubey

I'm looking at this cruise on the Viking Lavrinenkov. I love the itinerary, but am very nervous about the ship itself.

Has anyone any experience with this cruise line? this ship? this itinerary?

susana.

I have never taken that ship but I have taken Viking through the Rhine and Mosel and they are fine. I am taking a Moscow to St. Petersburg on GCT, the Tikhi Don, in May. I chose them because they had an elevator and when I checked with Viking about a year ago their ship did not.

Thanks for your response, relevart. From your information, I went to check out the cruise you mentioned. The lack of an elevator is also one of my concerns as my husband has heart disease and has trouble with climbs. Your ship does sound as if the rooms are a little bigger, too. The itinerary of Odessa through Kiev intrigued me, though, as my grandparents all came to America from there.

And just fyi, I am assuming you've seen this caveat:

Please note: The M/S Tikhi Don is not equipped with wheelchair access. Elevator service is available from the Main Deck to the Boat Deck. There is no elevator access to the Sun Deck. Also, during port stops, ships may dock side-by-side, obstructing views and requiring you to pass through other ships to embark and disembark.

susana.

Hi Susana,

I doubt if any river boats have easy wheel chair access. You often have to go through one or two boats to get to yours and that involves some ups and downs.

When I was on the Viking in Europe I was glad for the elevator as nothing is on the same deck and one is always going from one deck to another.

There is a pre excursion to Kiev with this cruise but I don't know about Odessa.

Good luck with your choice!

• 4 months later...

Hi all--Who else among you is going on this cruise (we are going in May.) Wonder if any fellow Americans will be onboard. Trubey--have you decided to go yet? My boyfriend coming along with me had quadruple-bypass surgery 3 years ago, is doing great, and determined to visit where his ancestors are from. He speaks some Ukrainian which will be helpful. I'm along for the ride. This cruise is scheduled to spend at least 1 night in Kiev and will be stopping in Odessa, as well as a different place every day. Any suggestions for must-sees, other tips? Thanks--

• 1 year later...

Hello tpb100,

No one really answered the Thread Starter's (trubey)question of 10/29/05 and since you were planning to take this cruise in May 2006 and hopefully traveled, I am hoping you would share your experiences of this cruise.

Like 'trubey', I am concerned with "A NOTE REGARDING OUR UKRAINE CRUISE" in Viking's brochure, specifically-

- there will be some differences from our standard onboard product.

- European languages are spoken onboard.

- smoking is permitted in some public areas of the ship.

I have previously sailed with Viking (Western) Europe (2), Russia and China and found their all around service to be excellent.

Would appreciate your comments or from any other passengers who have done Viking's FOOTSTEPS OF THE COSSACKS cruise.

• 4 years later...

If anyone is still following or subscribed to this thread, can we invite you to join the conversation at Viking Footsteps of the Cossacks (Ukraine)? We are looking for past cruisers to talk about their experiences and to help those of us who planning this cruise to learn more about it.

TIA!

Archived