Bought UDP 18 months ago-What changes should I expect

newjerseygeorge

As I put in my title, we bought our Drink and Dinning package a year and a half ago before all the changes.

I know I do not have to pay 18% gratuities on drinks and food.

There was never an ala cart charge restaurant when we signed up except for the sushi place.

We like Cagney's and La Bistro but we can eat there as often as we want no charge?

We know we can order only one main dish, but can we have as many sides or deserts as we want no charge?

Can we stop in to any restaurant and just have appetizers or dessert no charge?

Is there any place I can get free lobster on the OLD UDP?

How about no reservations?

I know I still have to keep my drinks under $15 for them to be FREE.

We got lucky as those packages were the best and never to be repeated.

Am I forgetting anything?

Edited by newjerseygeorge

I sailed with the UDP (not SDP) a few months ago.

The original terms of the UDP were honored. Cagney's, Le Bistro... they told us to ignore the a la carte pricing and go to town. No 18%, no worries. We didn't have to mention the UDP. The host/server knew exactly how to handle it... which actually means the computer knew how to handle it.

Edited by triptolemus

As I put in my title, we bought our Drink and Dinning package a year and a half ago before all the changes.

There was never an ala cart charge restaurant when we signed up except for the sushi place.

We like Cagney's and La Bistro but we can eat there as often as we want no charge?

We know we can order only one main dish, but can we have as many sides or deserts as we want no charge?

your card will have udp on the right corner not sdp that's the cue for the server that you are on the old dinning package so a la carte will not be a problem

you can make your reservation on the ship

LeBistro as the lobster on the menus

You can do multiple nights at any restaurant, one main and unlimited sides and desserts. No limit on number of meals, so you can do appys at 5:00, a dinner at 8:00, and dessert at 10:00 at three different places, all on the same day. The catch my be getting in. Your UDP does not guarantee you a table. Walk ins are allowed for anyone, if they have availability. Sometimes a reservation, especially for dinner, works out best. I believe lobster was on the menu at 2 or 3 places. I don't know what ship you're on. If there's a dinner show, it will be a $15 upcharge with the UDP. Also at one restaurant on the newest ships. Upcharge of $7 at sushi places. Food Republic is not on the plan.

As far as the UBP, you only pay the difference for drinks over $15.

From the FAQ on NCL site.

For Sailings on or after July 3rd, 2015

The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1 and 2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The UDP is nontransferable. Reservations are not required for UDP guests, however, tables reserved onboard will be subject to availability for reservations made 24 hours in advance. We encourage you to log in to My NCL to make dining reservations in advance for specific night(s) of your cruise. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A 25% discount applies to all a la carte and entertainment based dining and select Specialty Restaurants (Not included in the Ultimate Dining Package). These venues include: Sushi, Raw Bar, Food Republic, Hot Rock, Tapas Bar, Noodle Bar, Ocean Blue, Ocean Blue on The Waterfront, The Cellars, The District, Murder Mystery, Cirque Dreams & Dinner, Illusionarium, Supper Club, Wine Lovers, Pajama Jam, Bayamo and Pincho by Jose Garces. The UDP does not include beverages or corresponding gratuity. No kids pricing available for UDP. Excludes all 1 and 2 day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. Does not apply to special occasion/holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the UDP (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). $10 per each additional main course will be charged in Le Bistro & Cagney’s. Chef’s Table, Jazz Brunch, Carlo’s Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar and Gelato are not part of the package.

Hopefully, you saved the T&C's at the time of your purchase and can request to enforce those instead. What was that date of purchase?

Edited by tiger-91

Just got off Escape 8 day cruise using the old UDP promo we were 2 adults and 1 kid and all of our keycards had UDP. We dined all 8 dinners in specialty(3 Cagneys, 2 Le Bistro, 2 Moderno and 1 Japanese. We were told on day 1 at Cagneys we could have 2 of apps/soups/salads, 1 entree, 2 sides. Didn't effect us as my daughter was eating off kids menu so we could have had 6 apps, 3 entrees and 6 sides between my wife and I so I didn't raise any questions about this. On subsequent nights there was no restrictions indicated by any of the servers when we were seated. If you are ranking the lobsters from best least favourite, the best would be Le Bistro ( ask for light on suace), teppanyaki and Cagenys last. Not sure of others but I found everything pretty over salted.

BTW, we loved sitting in at Magaritaville for lunch as we were there 6 out of 8 lunches, mostly everything on the menu we liked, the servers were nice, and it was always pretty empty. It may get a little warm if there is no breeze and ask to sit away from the musical act as the volume gets a little loud.

Yes. you are fully paid.

Your UDP will work in all Specialty Restaurants per the current SDP promotion. Cagney's, Le Bistro, La Cuccina a la carte restaurants you can order as much as you want. Teppanyaki, Monderno fixed cover charge restaurants - again as much as you want. Entertainment Based Dining (Cirque, Illusionarium, Supper Club Cabaret) all have an upcharge. Special Restaurants Ocean Blue, Bayamo, Sushi, Tapas have an upcharge.

Yes

Yes

Yes. But you need a table. If you are stopping by late, after a show, you can probably just walk in. Don't expect to walk into Cagney's without a reservation at 7 pm.

Yes. All a la carte restaurants have lobster dishes (see our dinner a Cagney's last week below).

Mandatory. Book exactly 90 days before your cruise (100 days if you are in a suite). Prime Time dining sells out quickly. NCL does hold tables for onbaord booking, but you need to do that soon after embarkation. Teppanyaki will sell out quickly. Then Cagney's

Yes. If you go over $15, you pay the difference with tip.

Yes

Have a great cruise and eat,,,, eat,,,, eat!

Cagney's on the Jewel last week... yum!

lob.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

your card will have udp on the right corner not sdp

No card ever says "SDP" either, the product code for SDP is a number (of meals) followed by letters "UDP" whereas UDP simply just does not have a prefix number - stupid, but that's how somebody at NCL decided to do it.