Shore Ex with an 8 year old adventurer

SeattleSuz

So, when I was originally looking at Shore Ex for our cruise, I wanted to do the cave tubing and zipline adventure, which seems cool for our adventurous family. However, now that I am all booked and paid for, the restrictions are at least 8 years old AND 95 pounds. My girl is 80 pounds, but nearly 90. So, that is restricting her from doing this shore ex?? I am saddened by this. Does anyone know what the weight limit applies to??

And the Roatan Bay Beach Party and Snorkel excursion has an age limit of 12? To snorkel??! WTH?! I am tempted to book these excursions directly through the vendor, because these restrictions seem kind of ridiculous.

I'm thinking the weight for the zip-line is to make sure she makes it all the way to the landing....too light, and she's likely to slow to a stop before she gets to the other end!

I can't help with the age limit to snorkel...unless it's an insurance thing....

Edited by cb at sea

The NCL Tabyana Beach Party excursion does not have an age restriction. Excursion doesn't include snorkel equipment but it can be rented locally or you can take your own. Both excursions go to the same beautiful location. We paid a local to accompany us on our snorkeling adventure. He took us further out than we would have ventured on our own and made sure we found easy paths through the coral.

Edited by kjquilts

The NCL Tabyana Beach Party excursion does not have an age restriction. Excursion doesn't include snorkel equipment but it can be rented locally or you can take your own. Both excursions go to the same beautiful location. We paid a local to accompany us on our snorkeling adventure. He took us further out than we would have ventured on our own and made sure we found easy paths through the coral.

Very good idea! That way we still get the snorkeling and the beach party!

On the ziplines, if the kids are a bit too light, they don't generate enough speed on the downhill run to make it all they way to the next platform. They still have a blast, but depending on where they get stuck a guide either has to go hand over hand to retrieve them (or if they are strong enough they bring themselves in hand over hand), or they can use a long pool like pole to reel them in, as seen the attached. In this case she was about 5 lbs under the minimum (they did not actually weigh anyone). She had no trouble on the several zip lines prior to this one, but this was the big long final run and she just came up a few feet short.

DSC_0222-3.jpg.37058fbee5ab5c85d00d48010c7adb5e.jpg

I am so excited for cave tubing and zip lining in Belize. I wound up booking through Butts Up because of 3 reasons:

1. I want to bring my 4 year old along (although he will do cave tubing and ATV with my dad while my daughter and I will do cave tubing and ziplining). And they only have a height requirement (40 inches).

2. Butts Up does not require you to hike to the caves while carrying the tube for 30 minutes like you have to do with the NCL excursion. I don't think my kids would enjoy that and I don't want to be stuck hiking and carrying 3 tubes lol.

3. Its significantly less expensive.

Whatever you choose....have fun!!

I loved the cave tubing and zipline excursion in Belize.

The minimum weight is likely just for the zipline and it likely exists to ensure that she is not too small for the harness equipment. Of course, height and weight can also be an issue for properly zipping through.

You may want to cancel and book a private cave tubing only excursion. Or cave tubing and snorkling?

Edited by ireashmott

Snorkeling age limits are a function of mask/snorkel/fin fit, degree of understanding, ability to follow commands, and endurance. While many adults are less suited for aquatic sports than children, we tend to grieve less when the adult drowns.

It's so weird to me, because this is the only snorkeling excursion that has an age limit.

Plus, she snorkeled in Cozumel 2 years ago with no issue. Maybe Mexico has different liability??

I loved the cave tubing and zipline excursion in Belize.

The minimum weight is likely just for the zipline and it likely exists to ensure that she is not too small for the harness equipment. Of course, height and weight can also be an issue for properly zipping through.

You may want to cancel and book a private cave tubing only excursion. Or cave tubing and snorkling?

When I called NCL yesterday, they told me that there are some cave tubing excursions that will be listed on the website sometime next week, where the age/height/weight limits are different.