Car rental for the day in St. Lucia??

katjoeus

Has anyone done this, was it easy and stress-free? Is there even a car rental place close to dock?

Hubby and I are torn as to what to do; we're not a big fan of organized tours (plus they get so expensive!!) and we'd love to just drive around and stop where the fancy takes us, but on the other hand, dealing with rental cars can be stressful...And if the weather is inclement, we'd be stuck with a reservation, I guess??

Someone said in another thread that getting a rental car in St. Lucia was "not at all recommended", but he didn't say why...

Has anyone done this, was it easy and stress-free? Is there even a car rental place close to dock?

Hubby and I are torn as to what to do; we're not a big fan of organized tours (plus they get so expensive!!) and we'd love to just drive around and stop where the fancy takes us, but on the other hand, dealing with rental cars can be stressful...And if the weather is inclement, we'd be stuck with a reservation, I guess??

Someone said in another thread that getting a rental car in St. Lucia was "not at all recommended", but he didn't say why...

It's not recommended for a cruise ship stop as your time is quite limited and the roads are quite challenging, with lots of things that are unmarked anf/or limited parking options. For instance, while as a crow flies Soufriere is only about 18 miles south of the port, it's a solid 1-1.15 minute drive by someone familiar with the road, and closer to 1.15-1.5 one way for someone unfamiliar with the road.

Yes, there are rental car companies that will rent you a vehicle, they'll meet you at the port, along with the paperwork for a temporary driver's license (about $26us per driver, required by St Lucia authorities), and pick the car up on your return. A rental usually runs between $75-125 a day plus license fee, and any insurance. For that, or a little bit more, you can hire a private driver and stop at your heart's content with a knowledgeable guide who knows the roads, can point out sights you would miss by driving, wait at any stops, etc. You just sit back and relax maybe enjoy a snack or drink and leave the stressful driving to them...

Some car rental companies that will meet you at Port include Cool Breeze, Envirite, Hertz, etc..