1st Time Cruiser- 25th Anniversary

Sherbear67

We are going on our 1st cruise in Feb :D and was just wondering if there is any advice you would like to share? Do's and Don'ts, places you loved when visiting and places to stay away from,must eat at and must NOT eat at, stuff like that. We are on Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas deck 7 room 7408. We are going to Cayman, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. I am as excited as excited gets as we have talked about doing this for the past 5 years but are just now doing it. I am also a touch nervous, but I am sure most are their 1st time.

We are going on our 1st cruise in Feb :D and was just wondering if there is any advice you would like to share? Do's and Don'ts, places you loved when visiting and places to stay away from,must eat at and must NOT eat at, stuff like that. We are on Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas deck 7 room 7408. We are going to Cayman, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. I am as excited as excited gets as we have talked about doing this for the past 5 years but are just now doing it. I am also a touch nervous, but I am sure most are their 1st time.

Welcome to Cruise Critic & congratulations on your first cruise!! The Freedom Of The Seas is a terrific ship to start your cruise experience..I am both an avid cruiser ( 33 cruises) and a cruise agent..your cabin ( not room, call it a "cabin" or "stateroom"..rooms are in hotels) 7408 is called an aft ( back of ship) balcony..I have been on the Freedom & her sister the Liberty Of The Seas 2x, so I know her well..you should read some of my other posts - one called "5 Reasons to book a balcony" on the "cabin selection tips" and "cruise 101 welcome newbies" under "first time cruisers" section..these two posts may help you in making decisions...please keep in mind that my suggestions are just SUGGESTIONS based on my opinions as well as many others I have spoken to..

First- Consider eating dinner at a specialty venue like "Chops" ( steakhouse) or "Giovanni's Table" ( European/ Italian) for celebrating a special event like your first cruise..these venues cost $ 25-39 PP and all is included ( 4-5 courses) except alcohol & sodas..I find the ambiance much nicer than the MDR ( main dining room)- the MDR has 1500 people dining & is noisy, bright & busy..the specialty venues are quiet, ROMANTIC, and IMO have better food & service..TIP: Ask for a table for 2 by the window over looking the sea- very nice & romantic!! Also, when eating in the MDR, you can either dine just the two of you, or dine with others..some like to meet new people & dine with strangers, while others ( like myself & wife) prefer to dine alone..also did you decide if you want traditional dining ( you dine at either 6:15 or 8:30) or "My Time Dining", which is you dine at any time you want ( I MUCH prefer that 'cause we like to dine when we like, or when we are hungry..)..

Don't miss: The Royal Promenade on deck 5, ice skating shows in Studio B ( deck 3) shown twice during the cruise, adult pool area called "The Solarium" with the hot tubs sticking out over the sides for a SPECTACULAR view of the sea ( do it on a sea day!!), having breakfast on your balcony on a SEA day ( just order the night before in your cabin & leave on door handle outside - it is free or very small charge, but soooo worth it!!) , go to the Schooner Bar ( deck 4),for piano sing alongs, Viking Crown Lounge front of ship, deck 14 for a drink & cozy venue with soft music) , Boleros Lounge, deck 4 for Latin music, Dog & Badger British Pub ( one of my favs) for a great pub atmosphere & great music on deck 5, The Flowrider on deck 13 aft for surfing the waves, Vintages Wine Bar on deck 5..so much to do..if ypu need tips on excursions or what to do in ports, let me know - I have been to Cozumel 10x, Grand Cayman 7x, and Costa Maya once...But I think this is a start..don't want to overwhelm you with too much info..please ask if you need any more tips/ suggestions..this is a good time to start planning..TIP: You cannot plan any excursions till 90 days out or make dining reservations till 60 or 90 days out as well..

Big Al

It's very beneficial to research your ports BEFORE you start booking things ashore! Get a guidebook...decide what interests you in each place. Many things don't need an excursion at all! If what you want to do DOES need an excursion...come back here on that specific forums board, and you will get MANY suggestions and tips on HOW to do that!

Welcome to Cruise Critic & congratulations on your first cruise!! The Freedom Of The Seas is a terrific ship to start your cruise experience..I am both an avid cruiser ( 33 cruises) and a cruise agent..your cabin ( not room, call it a "cabin" or "stateroom"..rooms are in hotels) Sorry I am so use to saying room. 7408 is called an aft ( back of ship) balcony..I have been on the Freedom & her sister the Liberty Of The Seas 2x, so I know her well..you should read some of my other posts - one called "5 Reasons to book a balcony" on the "cabin selection tips" and "cruise 101 welcome newbies" under "first time cruisers" section..these two posts may help you in making decisions...please keep in mind that my suggestions are just SUGGESTIONS based on my opinions as well as many others I have spoken to.. I will make sure to read them.

First- Consider eating dinner at a specialty venue like "Chops" ( steakhouse) or "Giovanni's Table" ( European/ Italian) for celebrating a special event like your first cruise..these venues cost $ 25-39 PP and all is included ( 4-5 courses) except alcohol & sodas..I find the ambiance much nicer than the MDR ( main dining room)- the MDR has 1500 people dining & is noisy, bright & busy..the specialty venues are quiet, ROMANTIC, and IMO have better food & service..TIP: Ask for a table for 2 by the window over looking the sea- very nice & romantic!! Also, when eating in the MDR, you can either dine just the two of you, or dine with others..some like to meet new people & dine with strangers, while others ( like myself & wife) prefer to dine alone..also did you decide if you want traditional dining ( you dine at either 6:15 or 8:30) or "My Time Dining", which is you dine at any time you want ( I MUCH prefer that 'cause we like to dine when we like, or when we are hungry..)..

It made me pick a time. Either 5:30 or 8, so I picked 5:30 which is fine since we pretty much eat at that time anyways and we prefer being on our own atleast for this 1st time

Don't miss: The Royal Promenade on deck 5, ice skating shows in Studio B ( deck 3) shown twice during the cruise, adult pool area called "The Solarium" with the hot tubs sticking out over the sides for a SPECTACULAR view of the sea ( do it on a sea day!!), having breakfast on your balcony on a SEA day ( just order the night before in your cabin & leave on door handle outside - it is free or very small charge, but soooo worth it!!) , go to the Schooner Bar ( deck 4),for piano sing alongs, Viking Crown Lounge front of ship, deck 14 for a drink & cozy venue with soft music) , Boleros Lounge, deck 4 for Latin music, Dog & Badger British Pub ( one of my favs) for a great pub atmosphere & great music on deck 5, The Flowrider on deck 13 aft for surfing the waves, Vintages Wine Bar on deck 5..so much to do..if ypu need tips on excursions or what to do in ports, let me know - I have been to Cozumel 10x, Grand Cayman 7x, and Costa Maya once...But I think this is a start..don't want to overwhelm you with too much info..please ask if you need any more tips/ suggestions..this is a good time to start planning..TIP: You cannot plan any excursions till 90 days out or make dining reservations till 60 or 90 days out as well..

Big Al

Thank you for the info. I emailed this to my husband as well. :) I do have a few questions plus i made a few comments in your quote..

Drink package specials

1. Do yall

A.wait an keep an eye out for them online for better prices

B.do you just get them when you book

C.Do you wait till you get on the ship

I saw where someone said they went into their cruise calendar to purchase a beverage package for their cruise and there was this...FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY,WHEN YOU PURCHASE AN ULTIMATE BEVERAGE PKG. YOU WILL RECEIVE A COMPLIMENTARY ROYAL REFRESHMENT PKG AND AN ADDITIONAL COCOA COLA SOUVENIR CUP TO SHARE WITH A FRIEND. GUESTS WILL ALSO RECEIVE A COMPLIMENTARY BOTTLE OF LIMITED EDITION AMERICAN SUMMER DOMAINE CHANDON.

I realize this was last year but I dont want to get a package yet if they offer deals like this as time gets closer. Any help would be great.

*posted in another area.

2.Beaches to go to? We are thinking more beach an shopping right at this moment.

3.What can you bring on board as far as drinks? I have seen 2 bottles of wine 750ml but some people say you can bring water but others say you cant.

4. As far as allergies to mushrooms, is that a normal life thing just to watch out for or do you let them know somehow somewhere?

Thank you for the info. I emailed this to my husband as well. :) I do have a few questions plus i made a few comments in your quote..

Drink package specials

1. Do yall

A.wait an keep an eye out for them online for better prices

B.do you just get them when you book

C.Do you wait till you get on the ship

I saw where someone said they went into their cruise calendar to purchase a beverage package for their cruise and there was this...FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY,WHEN YOU PURCHASE AN ULTIMATE BEVERAGE PKG. YOU WILL RECEIVE A COMPLIMENTARY ROYAL REFRESHMENT PKG AND AN ADDITIONAL COCOA COLA SOUVENIR CUP TO SHARE WITH A FRIEND. GUESTS WILL ALSO RECEIVE A COMPLIMENTARY BOTTLE OF LIMITED EDITION AMERICAN SUMMER DOMAINE CHANDON.

I realize this was last year but I dont want to get a package yet if they offer deals like this as time gets closer. Any help would be great.

*posted in another area.

2.Beaches to go to? We are thinking more beach an shopping right at this moment.

3.What can you bring on board as far as drinks? I have seen 2 bottles of wine 750ml but some people say you can bring water but others say you cant.

4. As far as allergies to mushrooms, is that a normal life thing just to watch out for or do you let them know somehow somewhere?

As far as drink packages go, IF ( big "IF") you think you may drink at least 6 or 7 drinks per day, then the beverage package is good..remember that when you are in a port off the ship, all expenses (other than excursions which include food/ drinks) is NOT covered by the drinks package ( like in Cozumel, etc..) ..

BTW, you can get the beverage package now or on the ship after you board..the "deluxe" package includes ALL beverages and costs $ 55 per person per day ( PLUS 18% gratuities)..so, if you figure about $6-7 for a beer, that means you must drink 7 or 8 beers a day to make it worthwhile..as far as bringing wine goes, you ARE allowed two 750 ml bottles in your carry ons that can be drank anywhere any time...allergies must be called in to Royal Caribbean and they will make a note of it..

For beaches in Grand Cayman we go to the Royal Palms Club on Seven Mile Beach- it is a beach club that costs $3 to enter plus about $5-10 for lounge chairs & umbrella..has facilities, pool, bar & food..any Seven Mile Beach place will be good, but some don't have facilities or drinks/food..in Cozumel, very popular is NACCHI COCUM, a private beach club that allows only 100 people in a day, and for $55 pp, you get ALL you can drink and eat, PLUS lounge chairs on a beautiful beach with a pool & hot tub as well..sports stuff next door..also, Paradise Beach is very nice, along with Mr Sanchos, but these places are public & can get busy & crowded in season like February..they are mostly "pay as you go" type..if you don't want 500-1000 kids on the beach screaming, you may opt for Nacchi Cocum..

In Costa Maya, I would check the boards here on CC and go to the "ports of call" section, then click "caribbean", then click 'Costa Maya" and see what's there..put a post up for info..you can check that our for Cozumel or "Cayman Islands" for Grand Cayman..hope this helps..anymore , give a shout!

Big Al