All first time Cunarders should read this

Oldcruiser99

Just home from my first time on a Cunard cruise, on the Queen Elizabeth. I am a veteran cruiser and thought I would throw out some observations. I read hundreds of posts on this message board and did plenty of research but still had a few surprises.

Check-in in Venice and disembarkation in Athens were the best I have ever seen. The ease of embarkation may have been because sail away was 10 pm and there was no rush of people.

The Verandah and the Carinthia Cafe both seemed very underused. I expected prior to leaving that I would spend time in the Wintergarden but it too seemed a little empty most days. It was a a hot two weeks. But the Wntergarden is a nice quiet place and was more popular when Saturday football or Formula1 racing was on the Tv.

Britannia dining room was excellent. I would have enjoyed having a slightly larger menu selection, however. Perhaps one or two more items. Service in the Britannia was also the best I have ever seen. We had Reggie, a veteran of 18 years on various Cunard ships, and Raymund. I can not say enough good things about how they looked after my wife and I.

As for first-timers worried about various levels of accommodation and restaurants, you won't even notice they are there.

The Queens room was wonderful - nothing like it at sea - but a few nights on our 14 days it got quieter earlier in the evening than I anticipated.

Americans may find the menus and buffets a little too British and perhaps a little more "upscale" than what they see on other cruise lines. But I loved it. My wife is British (I am Canadian) so I was already familiar with everything available.

The theatre was also lovely. The private boxes are a nice touch and always available if you show up a few minutes early. The theatre is also large enough that you don't need to show up 20 minutes early as I have on some ships.

The entertainment in the theatre was mostly great. But the shows by the Cunard singers and dancers were a little underwhelming. Best dancing group I have seen but there seemed to be little theme or logic to some of the shows. The audience reaction seemed similar to mine.

The Golden Lion was also a nice surprise. Many nights it was packed with people playing trivia games or a listening to a piano player. A real traditional pub feel.

It is also nice to have a traditional promenade deck for an after-dinner walk.

I have only ever cruised with "anytime dining" and wasn't sure what I would think of a set time every night. I found it wasn't restrictive at all and it avoided 20 or 30 minute waits I have experienced on other cruises. Wait times between appetizer/main/desert was quite short. You still had the option and time to linger a bit if you preferred.

As others have said, the ship is beautiful and more traditional than others. It is very easy to relax. If you want surfing, bumper cars or water parks, then Cunard is not your cruise line. If you want old time cruising with great service on a "classier" ship then Cunard is worth a look. The dancing and theme nights in the ballroom or unlike anything else at sea.

As for the dress code, plenty has been said elsewhere on this forum but I quite enjoyed it and was actually able to pack without bringing any more clothes for dinner than I have on other cruises

Edited by Oldcruiser99

Just home from my first time on a Cunard cruise,...

Oldcruiser, happy to read you enjoyed your first Cunard cruise. But you wrote that you were a Cunard Platinum World Club Member less than a month ago:confused: Before you took one Cunard cruise, you had CWC Platinum ? Please share how that worked. Thank you. -S

Reference http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=50744527#post50744527

Edited by Salacia

Just home from my first time on a Cunard cruise, on the Queen Elizabeth. I am a veteran cruiser and thought I would throw out some observations. I read hundreds of posts on this message board and did plenty of research but still had a few surprises.

Check-in in Venice and disembarkation in Athens were the best I have ever seen. The ease of embarkation may have been because sail away was 10 pm and there was no rush of people.

Or was is Queen Victoria? :). You mention the QV in your other posts and with you embarking in Venice and disembarking in Athens, it would suggest this.

If you look at the OP's posting history, it is all about a cruise on the QV, and also had posted it would be the first Cunard cruise.

In one of the post being a travel agent is mentioned, do TA's get perks if they sell Cunard cruises?

Nickymmm, if you are on the Greek islands cruise we are on that one too. There is a roll call fir the cruise. Follow the link in the stickies above.

Oldcruiser99, it sounds like you had a great cruise. Thanks for posting your comments.

Nickymmm, if you are on the Greek islands cruise we are on that one too. There is a roll call fir the cruise. Follow the link in the stickies above.

Hi Sarah & Andy

They're on the Spain & Italy one with us on 24 October.

Starting to think seriously about it now.

Stewart

Britannia dining room was excellent. I would have enjoyed having a slightly larger menu selection, however. Perhaps one or two more items. Service in the Britannia was also the best I have ever seen. We had Reggie, a veteran of 18 years on various Cunard ships, and Raymund.

Raymund is very sweet isn't he? He was our assistant waiter last autum and when we were back on in August he remembered us and would come over and say hello whenever he got chance. Always had his lovely smile too.

Raymund is very sweet isn't he? He was our assistant waiter last autum and when we were back on in August he remembered us and would come over and say hello whenever he got chance. Always had his lovely smile too.

Sorry, just realised our waiter was called Raymart but I'm sure Raymund was v nice too :D

Edited by Tangoqueen
Mistake

Hi Sarah & Andy

They're on the Spain & Italy one with us on 24 October.

Starting to think seriously about it now.

Stewart

I'm thinking about little else - oh, apart from the wedding a week before the cruise :D:eek:

These posts are so useful to us first timers, I really appreciate all the info and knowledge on here. I know one can overload one's mind with information but there seems to be one common mantra...take half the clothes and double the money!

Nicky

• 6 months later...

Americans may find the menus and buffets a little too British and perhaps a little more "upscale" than what they see on other cruise lines. But I loved it. My wife is British (I am Canadian) so I was already familiar with everything available.

Really! I'm looking forward to our first Cunard TA and am hoping that this "down the nose at Americans" attitude does not prevail. Not all Americans cruise on Carnival and many of us have quite sophisticated tastes. We've cruised on Crystal and Oceania (considered the best food at sea) previously. I'll see if Cunard competes in that arena.

There is no 'down the nose at Americans' as you describe it, why would there be with so many doing transatlantics?, the food will not be as good as Oceania, ( excluding beef and lamb at dinner), but then again Oceania doesnt

do 7-8 day regular transatlantic crossings.