Water Situation

I'm fairly new to RCI and am at a loss about what to do about water. To buy bottled water the price is absolutely ridiculous. Other lines offer bottled water at a much more reasonable price.

Also I am diabetic, so I do need to have cans of coke in my cabin. I like to bring my own. How do people handle this.

The price of the water is price gouging. Please advise as I'm sailing in November.

The water sold onboard is Evian. That's untouched spring water from a different country, not the filtered municipal water you get in bottles of Dasani and Aquafina. Vastly different products.

Also, you're getting 12 one-liter bottles of water, which changes the value if you were thinking it was 12 16 oz bottles.

If you're bringing on municipal water, there's not much different between that and ship water. if you can deal with that water, then just deal with ship water. My system can't deal with most municipal water (the additions make me sick), and I truly cannot deal with ship water (messes with me BIG time).

As for Coke...your statement made me screech until I realized that you're probably not type 2. Someday they are going to stop calling it type 1 and type 2, and just come up with a different name for one of them. Because type 2s are rarely in a situation where they NEED high fructose corn syrup! (some *become* type 2 because of HFCS)

Officially water and sodas aren't allowed to be brought onboard. Try it, and know that you might not be successful.

Buy soda package. Drink ship water. There are other things you can bring on no problem for quick access to what you need that are within the rules. Bringing on water and soda is against the rules. Not enforced very well, but they could, so be prepared to maybe lose your items and have a backup plan (tablets, soda package, etc)

Not likely, unless they are in a seal container so they can be carried around or left in the room it wouldn't be of use. When the blood sugar is low you can't walk far without lowering the blood sugar more and risking collapsing.

I personally will board the ship with a variety of small sugar sources (children's fruit snacks, fruit-to-go bars, and sugar pucks meant for diabetics). They need to fit in a pocket or small purse to have on me at all times. In the room I would have larger sources of sugar.

Her preference might be cans of coke. As a diabetic when your low sometimes you want to make the most of it and have something worthwhile to bring that sugar up. BUT...if the ship refuses to allow you to bring cans of coke on board I don't feel it is acceptable to play the diabetic card as there are plenty of sugar sources that the ship won't care if you bring aboard (as they don't sell it themselves).

I don't think there is anything wrong with attempting to bring coke on board without playing the diabetic card and if they bring it to your room then they chose to allow it. Same goes for water. They can intercept it's delivery should they choose to.

Thanks for the response. My dad was diabetic, and my mom always have him orange juice when his sugar was low. I thought this may be an option for OP, but I guess not.

I know a guy who plays the diabetic card all the time, but he's always going out and drinking beer and eating all kinds of sugary crap. :rolleyes: Not accusing the OP, just commenting on diabetic card pullers. As usual, there are always jerks like that guy who ruin things for people who may actually need to bring stuff on for diabetic reasons.

Edited by VASOXFANN

You know unless you have a bottle of Mexian Coke it is not true sugar. OP I suggest you consult your health care provider as to what to use in an emergency. If you need multiple cans maybe you shouldn't be traveling.

RCCL told me I had to have a letter from MD stating that it was medically necessary to bring my cran/grape juice. I had gastric bypass surgery & since then, water causes my wife and I to throw up. The only thing I can tolerate is the cran/grape heavily diluted with water. My wife is the same way. She can't drink anything that contains any type of sugar substitutes. They trigger severe migraines. We purchased the Royal Replenish drink package, but the ship does not carry Cran/grape. So, we had to go to MD to get written letter stating It was medically necessary for us to have the juice.

You know unless you have a bottle of Mexian Coke it is not true sugar. OP I suggest you consult your health care provider as to what to use in an emergency. If you need multiple cans maybe you shouldn't be traveling.

The new green label Coke has real sugar in it too.