Diving with RCI at Bonaire

KansasK

We will be on the Navigator of the Seas next March and my husband wants to dive on this southern Caribbean cruise to the ABC islands. Bonaire is the problem. He is 68 and the excursion has an age limit of 65. There is no question that he is fit enough to do this dive.

He has emailed the excursion desk for RCI and they told him he would have to talk to excursions when he gets on board. He would like to contact the dive operator the cruise line uses in Bonaire to see if their insurance prohibits divers older than 65, or if there is paperwork he could submit.

Does anyone know what dive operator RCI uses in Bonaire? He could use a private operator, but prefers to dive with the cruise line so he gets back to the ship on time.

Unfortunately I don't know who RCI uses. However, I was there with my family this past December and dive with three of my children and one nephew. I booked buddy dive. I was concerned about getting back to the ship on time so I booked a boat dive, which isn't necessary in Bonaire. Bonaire is known for incredible shore dives. The benefit of booking the boat dive is that they dropped us off at the pier right next to the gangway. We were back a couple of hours before the ship sailed. Also, buddy dive picked us at the pier and took good care of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would talk to a few dive ops on Bonaire - the "over 65 and no diving" requirement imposed on cruise ship dive vendors is becoming more and more prevalent - probably to reduce financial exposure and to lower insurance rates for the cruise companies. Dive ops not affiliated with the cruise lines don't impose these restrictions. Getting a doc to put his chop on a med form is a good idea too.

Buddy Dive is a good dive op - we stay & dive with them when we go to Bonaire for extended dive vacations. The house reef is great and you don't have leave the resort - go out to to the reef and turn right for your first dive and then return for the SI. Head out to the reef again with a new tank and turn left. Two easy-peasy dives. Just get a cab from the ship. There's also a restaurant for lunch on-site.

Rccl I believe uses Dive Friends

We've use Buddy prior trips they pick us up at the pier. You do your check out dive on their house reef and then another site. (If you haven't already been in the year and have your marine park tag the you can skip the house reef one) with drop off back at the pier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by MonDreamr1

Rccl I believe uses Dive Friends

We've use Buddy prior trips they pick us up at the pier. You do your check out dive on their house reef and then another site. (If you haven't already been in the year and have your marine park tag the you can skip the house reef one) with drop off back at the pier.

Thanks, MonDreamr1,

My husband will trying contacting Dive Friends about the age limit.

Also thanks to you and others for Buddy Dive recommendation!

Complete and have Dr sign the PADI medical release form ...... bring to show on ship .....

Ship doesn't care about the PADI release, the age restriction is a insurance thing. We are in the same boat, pardon the pun!

https://www.padi.com/documents/padi-courses/2.1.5%20rstc%20medstate%20v201.pdf

I would talk to a few dive ops on Bonaire - the "over 65 and no diving" requirement imposed on cruise ship dive vendors is becoming more and more prevalent - probably to reduce financial exposure and to lower insurance rates for the cruise companies. Dive ops not affiliated with the cruise lines don't impose these restrictions. Getting a doc to put his chop on a med form is a good idea too.

Agreed! We've run I to this a number of times.

We have used Buddy Dives before and had an excellent experience. DD and DSIL are going down for a week next month and using them because our experience with them when we were on a cruise ship. Boat dive is necessary if you want yo go to Klein Bonaire.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks, MonDreamr1,

My husband will trying contacting Dive Friends about the age limit.

Also thanks to you and others for Buddy Dive recommendation!

While attempting to book our dives for Nov- discovered Buddy is now contracting with the ships. Not sure which lines and if Friends is still being used in addition.