Best side of ship to be on during fleet week activities?

Hi everyone,

We will be on the Celebrity Infinity in just a few weeks, doing the Pacific Coastal Cruise. Our ship will be docked in San Francisco overnight, during fleetweek. I chose a cabin on the righthand side of the ship, thinking that would be the side facing the Golden Gate and the fleet week festivities. Is that right? Do ships always pull in to the dock nose first? I believe we will be docking at Pier 35 rather than Pier 27.

Thanks in advance if you can offer information or guidance!

Hi everyone,

We will be on the Celebrity Infinity in just a few weeks, doing the Pacific Coastal Cruise. Our ship will be docked in San Francisco overnight, during fleetweek. I chose a cabin on the righthand side of the ship, thinking that would be the side facing the Golden Gate and the fleet week festivities. Is that right? Do ships always pull in to the dock nose first? I believe we will be docking at Pier 35 rather than Pier 27.

Thanks in advance if you can offer information or guidance!

Pier 27 is the cruise ship terminal. Pier 35 is/was the old cruise ship terminal.

If it's like the past few years, naval ships will be docked at Pier 35; civilian access will be limited to guided tours. Cruise ships that I've seen usually will back in, so the port/left side will be facing the GG Bridge, the bow facing out towards the Bay.

The highlight of the Fleet Week is the air show Saturday and Sunday afternoons with the "grand stand" 2 miles west at the Marina Greens.

http://fleetweeksf.org/

Hi Philob,

I was actually hoping for Pier 27, but at least for now the port schedule is showing the Infinity at Pier 37. There's another ship docked at Pier 27.

Sounds like I outsmarted myself. We were originally booked on the left side of the ship, but I had us switched thinking we would have a better view from the right side. Now the ship is just about full.

I commuted to San Francisco for many years, traveling right in front of Pier 35, and I never saw a ship backed into that pier. IMO Pier 35 will be a better location to view the show than Pier 27. However, if I were you, I would be on the highest open deck for the airshow. There is nothing like seeing and hearing the Blue Angels as they fly over the Bay. Have fun!