Help ! For a diehard Cunarder Norwegian or Princess for last minute Xmas cruise

PvTraveler

Hello hope you all can help. I am a Cunarder through and through but want a Xmas cruise with no flight hassle . Since I am in Los Angeles my choices are Norwegian Jewel or Ruby Princess or Holland America out of San Diego.

My problem is the DH wants to make sure he has a "traditional" Xmas dinner. I think he'll survive without the Xmas pudding but he does want the roast turkey and all the trimmings.

Any thoughts you have as compared to the Queens would be appreciated. Thanks

You might want to ask about Christmas dinner on the NCL, HAL, and Princess boards as that's where you are likely to find past holiday time passengers.

I hope the no-flight alternative is a compromise that works for you and it serves you needs. Just expect them to be what they are because only Cunard and be Cunard.

Based on what you have said, I would not recommend RCI. Princess or Holland America would both be good choices. I would lean towards Holland America. The Pinnacle Grill extra-fee restaurant is one of my favorite at sea and I'm sure would do a wonderful job with a holiday dinner. I would say it's a bit closer to Cunard as well in being a more traditional cruise experience.

I would not recommend the Amsterdam, however, as you can see from reviews on this site it is not one of Holland America's best ships. If you are looking at the Westerdam Dec. 24 I would give that a try. It's a Vista class ship the same size and similar layout to the Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth.

Edited by Oldcruiser99

We did a Holland-America cruise over Christmas 2009 and found it quite nice. Yes, there was the traditional turkey dinner and the ship was quite festive (as I imagine all ships are during the Christmas/New Year season). We were on the Amsterdam. Holland-America is always our second choice as we find it similar to our favorite, Cunard.

We did the HAL Christmas out of San Diego last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. We recommend taking the boat trip to Las Caletas Hideaway in Puerto Vallarta. Great beach half day with included food and booze. Ours was on Christmas Eve and was very festive. Decorations and food were very good as well. Are planning to do it again.:D BTW, I am a lifetime Cunarder and Diamond WC so I understand your concerns. A coat and tie are all you need and most men wore them at night Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.