Staterooms on Decks 7/8 of Star?

bzv143

We managed to snag a DV1 on Deck 8 on the Star, and I was wondering if any of you have stayed on this deck--and your thoughts. There is a door to Explorer's Lounge from Deck 8, right? So we can slip in there with our morning coffee to watch the ship sail into port? Also, is the top floor of the Explorer's Lounge used often, or more quiet so we will not have a problem finding seats? Finally, is coffee served in the Explorer's Lounge in the early morning? And is this where groups gather to go on tours so it will be busy in the morning?

Thanks for any info!

We managed to snag a DV1 on Deck 8 on the Star, and I was wondering if any of you have stayed on this deck--and your thoughts. There is a door to Explorer's Lounge from Deck 8, right? So we can slip in there with our morning coffee to watch the ship sail into port? Also, is the top floor of the Explorer's Lounge used often, or more quiet so we will not have a problem finding seats? Finally, is coffee served in the Explorer's Lounge in the early morning? And is this where groups gather to go on tours so it will be busy in the morning?

Thanks for any info!

Tours gather either on the dock or in the theater; Explorer's Lounge is just too far from the gangways.

Each cruise develops its own rhythms, so use by pax of the various spaces varies from cruise to cruise--and from day to day.

I do not believe that there is a door that leads from the upper level of the Explorer's Lounge to the cabin corridors. It makes sense, really, because otherwise people would use that corridor as a cut through and disturb the people staying there. The access is on the lower level of the Lounge, deck 7. On your left you'll find the little deli called Mamsen's. That's where you can get your breakfast items. Walk forward and you'll see two staircases that lead you up to deck 8's upper level where you'll get amazing views.

There's plenty of lovely seating on both levels of the Lounge. The only place we ever found crowded was the seating in front of the fireplace but of course we were on board in January, and that real estate was at a premium!

BTW, if you go onto Viking's website you can pull up video tours of the ship, including the Explorer's Lounge.

There is a doorway from the 8th floor of the Explorer's Lounge to the passenger rooms on Deck 8. The door is not obvious. It is on the starboard side of a small section that is built out from the back wall of the Lounge. The main entrance to the Viking Lounge is on Deck 7. The doorway on Deck 8 is not frequently used as you can tell by the lack of responses to your question.

Coffee/tea is available in the Ex Lounge beginning at 6:30. When I wanted it earlier, it was available in the World Café 24/7. Breakfast goodies appear on the first floor at 6:30 but not in the Ex Lounge. Usually nice and quiet there in the early morning. Loved it!

Thanks for any info!

We are booked on the Sea next July in Jr. Suite on deck 8. No prior Viking experience but from what I've read it appears you can get early morning coffee at Mamsens on deck 7 forward, which appears to be at the entrance to the Explorer Lounge.

We are booked on the Sea next July in Jr. Suite on deck 8. No prior Viking experience but from what I've read it appears you can get early morning coffee at Mamsens on deck 7 forward, which appears to be at the entrance to the Explorer Lounge.

Mamsens is just on the left when you enter the lounge on the starboard side. The waffles with fresh fruit are my favorite, but they have other light breakfast items as well. It can get pretty busy between the time the breakfast buffet closes and 11:00 am when Mamsens closes for 30 minutes to change over to the light lunch format.

I do not believe that there is a door that leads from the upper level of the Explorer's Lounge to the cabin corridors. It makes sense, really, because otherwise people would use that corridor as a cut through and disturb the people staying there. The access is on the lower level of the Lounge, deck 7. On your left you'll find the little deli called Mamsen's. That's where you can get your breakfast items. Walk forward and you'll see two staircases that lead you up to deck 8's upper level where you'll get amazing views.

There's plenty of lovely seating on both levels of the Lounge. The only place we ever found crowded was the seating in front of the fireplace but of course we were on board in January, and that real estate was at a premium!

BTW, if you go onto Viking's website you can pull up video tours of the ship, including the Explorer's Lounge.

din929 (Deirdra)... Normally I wouldn't contradict anyone on such a small point, but having actually used the 8th deck exit door from the Explorer Lounge, I respectfully state that there is a way out through the passageway to the forward stairs and elevators. There isn't very much traffic, so I don't believe it will bother anyone staying in cabins along the hallway. My wife and I have loved our cruises aboard the Viking Star and Sea and are looking to book another cruise in the Fall of 2017 on the Viking Sky.

din929 (Deirdra)... Normally I wouldn't contradict anyone on such a small point, but having actually used the 8th deck exit door from the Explorer Lounge, I respectfully state that there is a way out through the passageway to the forward stairs and elevators. There isn't very much traffic, so I don't believe it will bother anyone staying in cabins along the hallway. My wife and I have loved our cruises aboard the Viking Star and Sea and are looking to book another cruise in the Fall of 2017 on the Viking Sky.

No worries, Senior Gators! We spent a bit of time up in the Explorer's Lounge and never noticed the doorway, which is why I said I didn't believe there was one. I am glad it's very discreet, however, just to keep things on the quiet side for the people staying off that corridor. We're back on Viking again as well, same reason as you. Wonderful cruise.

Thank all of you for your informative replies. Our stateroom is on Port side--is there no door on that side as well? Will I have to run down the hallway and back up the Starboard hallway to access? Just wondering because I am an early bird and love watching my ship come into port whilst sipping my morning cuppa java. :)

Thank all of you for your informative replies. Our stateroom is on Port side--is there no door on that side as well? Will I have to run down the hallway and back up the Starboard hallway to access? Just wondering because I am an early bird and love watching my ship come into port whilst sipping my morning cuppa java. :)

I seem to remember a door on the port side as well; I may even have gone though it. It opened into the "library" area of the space.

Save

Edited by Peregrina651

Actually, the entrance from the Star's 8th deck passage way to the upper deck of the Explorer Lounge that we used was on the port side forward of Stateroom 8000. I don't know if there is one on the starboard side. Peregrina's memory is good since she mentioned the "library" which includes an interesting display of equipment, pictures, and documents from Thor Heyerdahl's Kon-Tiki expedition.

All decks except 7 & 8 have port and starboard passageways with cabins towards the outside of the ship. Deck 7 and 8 have one central passageway. See my attachment or look at Vikings Star's Deck Layout.

As I mentioned previously, there is a small section in the 8th floor Explorer's Lounge that is built out from the back wall of the lounge. (Not shown in Deck layout) The doorway is built into this section on the starboard side of the ship. This doorway gives access to all rooms on Deck 8 from the Explorer's Lounge. There is a doorway on the port side but it is for ships crew only and it does not go into the Explorer Lounge.

Being aboard for 50 days on the second "Viking Empire" cruise of the Viking Star gave us the opportunity to explore the ship a little more thoroughly than most passengers. We enjoyed it so much that we are booked on the" Into the Midnight Sun" cruise in June, 2017 aboard the Viking Sky.

1768111513_Deck8.jpg.119b06383811dc50737af1ca8564001d.jpg

Thanks for the attempt to clarify, but I'm still confused. The picture you attached of deck 8 looks to me like "port and starboard passageways with cabins towards the outside of the ship." The deck plan I have shows this same layout for deck 8; deck 7 only has one passageway because the cabins [other than the Owner's Suite] are only on the port side. What am I missing?

I was very confident in my last post until I read your comments. It is also obvious that I did not look at my own attachment closely. I am now questioning my memory of the Explorer's Lounge on Deck 8.

I am confident that there is an exit from the Explorers Lounge on Deck 8 to the rooms on the starboard side of Deck 8 (Odd room numbers). I even found a picture on the internet that shows the doors location. See attachment. The green Exit sign and arrow points to the location of the brown doorway.

The doors location is much more towards the starboard side of the ship then I remember. This suggests that this doorways access is only to the rooms on the starboard side and that there is a separate passageway on the port side. I do not know if there is a doorway from the port side to the Explorer's Lounge.

In any case, it is a beautiful ship and enjoy your cruise.

1860134957_ExplorerLounge.jpg.ed677005328645eeee3c551ba34752e9.jpg