New Construction On I45 To Galveston

Raxter54

This may cause some delays driving to and from the port:

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/2016/09/06/166675/officials-widening-of-i-45-from-greater-houston-to-galveston-county-set-to-begin/

Don't know how fast or efficient the Texas highway department is, hopefully this will be done before our February Freedom cruise....

This may cause some delays driving to and from the port:

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/2016/09/06/166675/officials-widening-of-i-45-from-greater-houston-to-galveston-county-set-to-begin/

Don't know how fast or efficient the Texas highway department is, hopefully this will be done before our February Freedom cruise....

Fast and efficient are two words that the Texas DOT does NOT know or understand. The same projects that take a year or so up north take multiple years in TX. :rolleyes:

Early next year, that work is expected to move south into Galveston County as TxDOT widens I-45 from six lanes to eight. The $380 million project runs from NASA Road 1 to Emmett Lowry Expressway

Thanks for answering my question. It sounds like it will be a very nice improvement.

FYI

:) "As for what this means for drivers headed down to the island, Elahi says they will keep mainlanes open while they do that work."

:) “And we will shift the traffic to one side of the highway but we’ll have enough widening so the lanes are going to maintain,” adds Elahi. “We are not going to shut anybody’s access. Access will remain open in all phases of construction.”

:) My observation: Traffic is rarely slow pass Nasa Road ONE now , and should not be bad then either !

UNLESS WRECKS OCCUR REQUIRING CLOSURES TO CLEAR FREEWAY!

Edited by ssb