Fujifilm Instax?

KnightsFan

The film is expensive. At $50 for the camera, it has to be a complete piece of junk. You pay for all the pictures that you take - good or bad. You have to carry around all the pictures that you take.

Why not use your cell phone camera or whatever inexpensive P&S cameras that are still out there.

Not for me.

DON

It might be challenging and fun in the same way that shooting with a Holga or a LOMO camera is but I have to assume you wouldn't be using it as your primary camera. As a novelty addition to a trip as a challenge or for the fun of it, it sort of appeals to me (I do own an adapted $30 CCTV lens for the same reason). However, having only a handful of business-card sized prints from a toy camera as my only memories of a vacation might be better than nothing...but only by a small margin IMHO.

Perhaps I'm spoiled by technology. :)

Dave

I first saw a camera like this at a birthday party 2 days ago. It was setup with a birthday backdrop and silly accessories like glasses, hats, boas, and funny sayings. It was intended as party favors and worked well for that. Business card size pictures are right, they're small! What's the point! You might as well take an Etch-a-Sketch if you like photo challenges on a cruise ship. This has to be a troll account and question.

Edited by flatlander321

I first saw a camera like this at a birthday party 2 days ago. It was setup with a birthday backdrop and silly accessories like glasses, hats, boas, and funny sayings. It was intended as party favors and worked well for that. Business card size pictures are right, they're small! What's the point! You might as well take an Etch-a-Sketch if you like photo challenges on a cruise ship. This has to be a troll account and question.

Maybe, maybe not. The Holga and Lomography enthusiasts are common enough to inspire filters that mimic the light leaks and plastic lens distortions on photos taken with camera phones. We bought one for our granddaughter earlier this year and I was shocked to find it was the number one selling camera on Amazon (#5 in Camera & Photo right behind three types of Instax film and a selfie stick).

Like I said, as a project or challenge it could be fun to see what you could capture using one. For a primary source of vacation memories? Not so much.

Dave

The point is to document my trip in a way that I enjoy. Yes, I could carry along my DSLR and lenses. But in the past when I have that gear on vacation I tend to leave it in my hotel room.

My primary camera will be my phone, but part of the reason why I want this is to actually have tangible memories. Too often the photos on my phone end up staying there, or maybe going on Instagram or Facebook. But sometimes it's nice to have an actual physical print in my hands. Yeah, they're about 30¢ each, but that just means I'll slow down and consider each shot.

I apologize for this post. I should not have been online that night. It was hard for us to gather the funds to pay for even one Alaska cruise. To take a trip like that and rely on such a basic camera to document it seemed, well, just wrong. However, it is their trip, money, and memories. They should enjoy it however they like. Sorry to anyone offended.