3 consecutive cruises, do I have to re check in for each cruise?

jensue1

A comment regarding L.A. (San Pedro).

There are lots of sites in L.A., but if you wish to stay close to the port may I suggest that you visit the battleship USS Iowa museum. It is docked right next to the Princess pier. You can also walk along the Ports of Call shopping area which is right along the harbor. The L.A. Maritime museum is also a short walk from the pier.

Thank you so much!

So you expect a letter like:

Dear Iceleven,

Your presence is humbly requested at the following location at the following time at the end of the cruise (after 2700 people have gotton off the ship) and 300 people doing B2B can get back on. Oh let us not forget the 3000+ people can get on the ship and we can leave port on time.

Thank you,

Signed THE CAPTAIN

Your response has absolutely nothing to do with my comment. First of all, I am not condoning, in any manner, those who intentionally or arrogantly refuse to comply with the instructions. I merely am making a point that some people don't speak or read English. I asked if there was another possible way of assuring that these people understand their instructions. I might assume that perhaps English is not YOUR first language BY the way you interpret and responded to my comment.:p

I merely am making a point that some people don't speak or read English. I asked if there was another possible way of assuring that these people understand their instructions.

We have been on B2Bs where the announcements paging specific missing passengers have been made in both English and (what I assume to be given their last names) their native language.

We have been on B2Bs where the announcements paging specific missing passengers have been made in both English and (what I assume to be given their last names) their native language.

I like to know if they don't show up does someone go to their cabin and get them?? If they're not in the cabin and there just walking around the ship and there is no there :eek: Would they think something is wrong or just go to the pool for a good seat??

Tony

Well, that certainly should have done the trick but then again, there are places on the ship where you can't hear a page? It must be infuriating for those waiting.

Edited by iceleven

We did our first B2B last winter. We had the choice of going to the 'holding room' to wait for the zeroing to happen or of being off the ship by a certain time. We decided to not let the 'forgetfuls' or 'idiots' mess with our time and took off to see the town. We still had time to have breakfast in the MDR before getting off the ship to look around. It's all very civilized!

We have a B2B coming up in Sydney, on which we don't change

stateroom, and fully intend to take an early ferry from White Bay to Circular Quay and not return until early afternoon.

I must admit that I rather assumed that my new cruise card and a transit pass would be delivered to my stateroom the day before the end of the first cruise and that I only needed to go to the holding area if I wished to remain on the ship during the day.

I was also assuming that the fact that I had left ship would be automatically recorded when I got off the ship and that I would simply need to use my new cruise card, possibly with a "transit pass" when I returned, but having read this thread I am just a little concerned that my plans might inconvenience my fellow passengers.

So, my question is, do I need to do anything other than get my first cruise card scanned as I leave the ship?

Well, that certainly should have done the trick but then again, there are places on the ship where you can't hear a page? It must be infuriating for those waiting.

I keep asking this question what are they thinking when they don't see anyone on the ship??? Can someone answer this question??

Tony

I like to know if they don't show up does someone go to their cabin and get them?? If they're not in the cabin and there just walking around the ship and there is no there :eek: Would they think something is wrong or just go to the pool for a good seat??

Tony

I would think that checking their cabin would be the first step and pretty easily done since the steward is in the area preparing the other cabins.

These announcements are sometimes needed after a port call that requires an immigration processing in addition to turnover days. Yes, we've heard announcements made in three languages on the Diamond (Japanese, English, and what was presumably the offending guest's preferred language).

Obviously on turn around day the person's room is checked first. There are at least 2 levels of announcements on the ship. There is one that can be heard inside the cabins and in most or all public areas. This is used initially upon boarding (when they are giving instructions about attending muster drill) and in a real emergency. This is also used when looking for passengers who have failed to attend immigration checks. The more commonly used level does not broadcast into guest cabins--presumably people may be sleeping and less important announcements won't interest them. Who cares if BINGO is starting if you are napping and didn't set and alarm?

We have a B2B coming up in Sydney, on which we don't change

stateroom, and fully intend to take an early ferry from White Bay to Circular Quay and not return until early afternoon.

I must admit that I rather assumed that my new cruise card and a transit pass would be delivered to my stateroom the day before the end of the first cruise and that I only needed to go to the holding area if I wished to remain on the ship during the day.

I was also assuming that the fact that I had left ship would be automatically recorded when I got off the ship and that I would simply need to use my new cruise card, possibly with a "transit pass" when I returned, but having read this thread I am just a little concerned that my plans might inconvenience my fellow passengers.

So, my question is, do I need to do anything other than get my first cruise card scanned as I leave the ship?

The above discussion is specifically for the U.S. All passengers are required to depart the ship before the ship is cleared to load passengers for the next voyage. I haven't done a B2B in Vancouver so I don't know if Canada requires that also.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One other advantage, you can skip the muster drill on all subsequent legs after the first leg. :)

We'll be doing our 1st BTB this coming December in Fort Lauderdale.

What can you do/where do you go during the 2nd muster drill?

Are you allowed to stay in your room?

I assume all food options are closed down during this time?

We've done many b2b's both changing and not changing rooms. It's not hard at all, although I preferred to move my own stuff (just me) rather than have staff do that. One time in Ft Lauderdale, there were so many (seems like it was 1,200 or so) in-transit passengers that the Customs/Border officers came on board and checked us all in the MDR! That was interesting!!

Hope you enjoy your trips. We're about to start 3 15-day cruises on 3 different ships and 3 different ports! We have 2-3 days between each one to fly to the next departure port! Life's an adventure, savor every moment!

Hope you enjoy your trips. We're about to start 3 15-day cruises on 3 different ships and 3 different ports! We have 2-3 days between each one to fly to the next departure port! Life's an adventure, savor every moment!

I'm impressed! Exhausting but exciting.

We'll be doing our 1st BTB this coming December in Fort Lauderdale.

What can you do/where do you go during the 2nd muster drill?

Are you allowed to stay in your room?

I assume all food options are closed down during this time?

Basically the only things you can do are to stay in your room or sit in a public area like the pool or the library. Yes, all ship's services are suspended during the drill.

Your response has absolutely nothing to do with my comment. First of all, I am not condoning, in any manner, those who intentionally or arrogantly refuse to comply with the instructions. I merely am making a point that some people don't speak or read English. I asked if there was another possible way of assuring that these people understand their instructions. I might assume that perhaps English is not YOUR first language BY the way you interpret and responded to my comment.:p

For the record:

"Originally Posted by iceleven View Post

I know, and understand, the discomfort and inconvenience of having to wait for stragglers but should we assume everyone who comes late can speak and read English? Do the instructions come with translations in all languages of the guests? Is it possible that sometimes these people simply think it is a general note of thanks from the Captain or crew so they don't bother reading or attempting to have it translated?

Perhaps it could be the (added) duty of all stewards to attempt to speak with those in their area who are B2B guests and urge them the importance of arriving where they are instructed?

We'll be on our first B2B this November and plan to leave the ship with all the other passengers so I won't actually experience what this could be like. Hopefully there will be no hiccups or horrible weather and we can disembark and enjoy a short day in port."

I am sorry, but if we are traveling on a ship where my wife and I do not speak the langauge on (English, Germany, and enough French, Russian and Indonesian to get by) it is OUR responsibility to make sure we are where WE need to be.

If you feel that it is other people that need to be responsible for you at all time, then the term we use for you is "special snowflake".

Edited by tanzer22pilot