Driving from TN to Miami--where to stay?

Courtney892

We have an early March 2017 cruise planned, and since Miami is roughly 15 hours from our home in TN, we figured we'll drive down the day before.

We need somewhere to stay the Thursday night before we embark and we need somewhere to park the car during our cruise.

We aren't tied to any area in particular, though based on what I am reading on various threads here, I have safety, price, and parking concerns with regarding to staying in Miami.

Option 1--stay somewhere in the $100ish range anywhere south of Ft Pierce and drive in the Friday we embark and park at the port.

Biggest drawback here is the price of port parking. $20 per day is pretty steep. Florida Cruise tips suggests several supposedly safe parking options in the area surrounding the port. I was interested in one with 24/7 security in a fenced and gated lot for around $10 per day. Would you be wary of these or are they pretty secure? We have done this type of offsite parking at other ports with good success, but I read somewhere on these boards that only the port parking is truly safe in Miami.

Option 2--stay near Ft Lauderdale airport (where my sister will be flying in sometime on Friday). Stick around the area to pick her up vs having her shuttle over to POM

I may only be interested in Option 2 because I was so disappointed not to be able to stay in some of the excellent hotels near Port Everglades when we were sailing out of there a few years ago. Really this option only makes sense to do if if we were able to park the car in the hotel over there during the cruise and get a shuttle/taxi/uber to Port of Miami. Is that even feasible?

Any other suggestions? The only reason I can think of to drive into Miami and pay the higher prices there for rooms would be if we received secure parking for the car duing our cruise (which is a 10 day). I am not finding hotels that offer that.

What would those of you much more familiar with the area than we are suggest for us to do? Thanks for any and all help!

Edited by Courtney892

We're doing your option #1 but with port parking. We're staying at the Fairfield Inn in Fort Pierce. right off I-95. We have stayed at LaQuinta MIA and looked into Comfort Suites MIA, both offering park and cruise, but decided against it this time as prices are a bit higher and you have added shuttle costs from the port. I'm not too pleased with what I read on off site parking near the port.

I believe the longer term off site parking at FLL is pretty secure, but others who have parked there can opine. If you go that route, then you can use the SAS shuttle to head to port and return at $15 pp each way. Good rep. But your additional hotel and shuttle expenses may wind up being as high if not higher than just doing option #1 and parking at the port. Which, IMO, would then be the best option. If you park at the port, and get there before 11AM you can probably find covered parking and on return be on the road home before you'd even catch at shuttle back to either a hotel or FLL.

Thanks for the responses.

Crewsweeper, we may be with you up near Ft Pierce :) I looked at prices the other night when I had a hotels.com coupon offered, but the prices weren't calling to me so no definite plans yet.

Lido_Deck, La Quinta has secure parking there in Miami? That surprises me based on what I have read here! Good to read.

JohninDC, thank you very much for the links. Will look into them later today!

Courtney,

Yes La Quinta has secure parking. It's the one at MIA. Assuming you get a reasonable rate, while the hotel isn't top notch in decor, they do have a decent breakfast. Don't forget to add the price of the return shuttle to your breakeven. While I like John's idea of using Uber, I think SAS might be cheaper, but you'll have to research. Also look at places in and around Pt St Lucie, both off the turnpike and off I 95, if you're seriously thinking port parking.

But I think what everyone so far is saying is don't use the Miami offsite port parking facilities. So go with what is both in your budget and comfort level. Not sure where you plan on stopping the night before the night before, but do be cognizant of long times behind the wheel, if you're the sole driver.