NCL Rewards Mastercard--Frustration

TonyFred

So I have two BOA Mastercards (no fee).

One is an RCCL card and I use it when I book RCCL cruises.

The rewards program is so simple. Go online, apply your rewards to your cruise and you are done.

But hold on, not so fast with the NCL card.

You have to call them to apply the rewards.

I have tried numerous times and get put on hold for long periods of time listening to the same loop of tired commercials.

I finally got through and of course I am told "sorry, our computers are down, call back later".

I stayed on hold this morning for another 20 minutes and then -- CLICK --disconnected.

Come on NCL. Get into the 21st Century. Why are you staffing people on the phone to do this when it can obviously be done painlessly online?

I like the NCL cruise ships and experience. But this reminds me of their feeble attempt to get internet connections with speeds any faster than the old dial up days.

SPEND SOME MONEY. UPGRADE YOUR TECHNOLOGY!

The credit card technology isn't NCL's - for the NCL CC it's Bank of America that you need to get angry with.

Dont think so. BOA is also the provider for the RCCL card. You go online (RCCL) and apply the rewards. When you call to apply the rewards for the NCL card, you are calling NCL so it is obviously their problem and decision to make it harder than it should be.

I also have BOA's NCL card and Royal's card (double points when used for respective lines.) And a Business BOA card and Personal Travel Rewards card that I use for everything not on the 2 cruise lines or related to my business. It's my way of maximizing my rewards.

Well, I don't care for the Royal Card because they don't allow me to transfer my points to other BOA Cards.

My other cards, I can transfer points to one card. So I always transfer to my travel rewards card because that gives me the biggest bang for my points. But I now have to use my Royal Card ONLY for Royal and that just bugs me. Will probably end of cancelling it.

So just my 2 cents on the matter

I find I get the best value out of a simple cash back card. It is also so much easier to redeem and use the cash towards a cruise or whatever I like. There are some great offers out there. Citi has a card that give 1% on everything you buy and and additional 1% on all payments. Bank of America has 1% on everything, 2% on groceries, and 3% on gas with additional bonuses if you have their checking account.

Currently triple points for the Norwegian MasterCard through BOA . . . on NCL purchases, of course. :)

Exciting, I must double check to make sure I'm getting the triple points.

Booked a few days ago for a last minute on the Escape and about to book my Baltic Capitals. Plus the onboard charges on this upcoming Escape and then Getaway cruise.

Off to login to my BOA accounts and check things out

Exciting, I must double check to make sure I'm getting the triple points.

Booked a few days ago for a last minute on the Escape and about to book my Baltic Capitals. Plus the onboard charges on this upcoming Escape and then Getaway cruise.

Off to login to my BOA accounts and check things out

I got triple points for the cruise, SPA pass, etc. It really adds up quick.

I've dealt with cashing in the reward points a few times. I was told this past week there's only 8 people who are staffed to deal with the reward points.

I called on Monday to see what level of balcony I could get having already booked an inside by doing a double meta upgrade. Once I ran it past hubby, I called back the next day. Someone named Ida quickly answered the phone. I told her what I wanted and then she said she'd transfer me to someone who could help.... uhh isn't that why I called YOU? After 30 minutes on hold, I was getting tired of waiting. I then called the same number using my cell phone and immediately was talking to someone who could and would help me. I hung up on the infinite hold via Ida.

For those who are just cashing in the points, I hope you realize you get more value in using the points for upgrades.

Example #1 - I cashed in 30,000 points to upgrade from an ocean view to a balcony on our Alaska cruise. OA to BA. Cash value $300. Price difference between ocean view and balcony? $1500!

Example #2 - I cashed in 60,000 points to do the double meta upgrade on our upcoming Escape cruise. IB to BD. Cash value - $600. Price difference between inside and balcony is $1900.

I've dealt with cashing in the reward points a few times. I was told this past week there's only 8 people who are staffed to deal with the reward points.

I called on Monday to see what level of balcony I could get having already booked an inside by doing a double meta upgrade. Once I ran it past hubby, I called back the next day. Someone named Ida quickly answered the phone. I told her what I wanted and then she said she'd transfer me to someone who could help.... uhh isn't that why I called YOU? After 30 minutes on hold, I was getting tired of waiting. I then called the same number using my cell phone and immediately was talking to someone who could and would help me. I hung up on the infinite hold via Ida.

For those who are just cashing in the points, I hope you realize you get more value in using the points for upgrades.

Example #1 - I cashed in 30,000 points to upgrade from an ocean view to a balcony on our Alaska cruise. OA to BA. Cash value $300. Price difference between ocean view and balcony? $1500!

Example #2 - I cashed in 60,000 points to do the double meta upgrade on our upcoming Escape cruise. IB to BD. Cash value - $600. Price difference between inside and balcony is $1900.

I'm curiouis, can the upgrades with points be done after final payments right before your cruise, or do they have to be done at time of booking?

Also, can you explain the double meta. What exactly do you say. I book insides a majority of the time. I'm about to book a Baltics Cruise. Would love to use points to upgrade to something other than inside.

Finally, what if you use a TA. Does the TA have to do everything?

I'm curiouis, can the upgrades with points be done after final payments right before your cruise, or do they have to be done at time of booking?

Also, can you explain the double meta. What exactly do you say. I book insides a majority of the time. I'm about to book a Baltics Cruise. Would love to use points to upgrade to something other than inside.

Finally, what if you use a TA. Does the TA have to do everything?

While I have not done the upgrade after final payment, I don't think you should have any problem to be able to do so. On my Alaska cruise, the booking and everything was done through Norwegian. My escape cruise was done through a travel agent. This cruise was actually the November escape cruise that was canceled due to a charter. So I had everything priced protected and moved to spring break. I only dealt with the staff at Norwegian that handles the credit card rewards points to upgrade this cruise from inside to balcony.

A double meta upgrade just means cashing in 60,000 points to go from inside to balcony cabin.

So how does that work? You book your interior room and then call and they cash in your points and you are upgraded?

I have almost 60,000 points that's why I'm asking

Yes. If you're looking for a particular balcony and call the cruise rewards point phone number to find out what inside cabin you need to book.

I find I get the best value out of a simple cash back card. It is also so much easier to redeem and use the cash towards a cruise or whatever I like. There are some great offers out there. Citi has a card that give 1% on everything you buy and and additional 1% on all payments. Bank of America has 1% on everything, 2% on groceries, and 3% on gas with additional bonuses if you have their checking account.

I also have the cash back for use anywhere.

Exactly. The NCL card is a joke, even with the double points when used on NCL.

The Citi card described above is way better.

I would also recommend the Discover It and Chase Freedom cards (no fees for either one), as you get a rolling 5% category each quarter, so you're often saving 5% on things like restaurants, gas, etc.

Exactly. The NCL card is a joke, even with the double points when used on NCL.

The Citi card described above is way better.

I would also recommend the Discover It and Chase Freedom cards (no fees for either one), as you get a rolling 5% category each quarter, so you're often saving 5% on things like restaurants, gas, etc.

Our current favorite is the new Citi Visa card from Costco. 4% cash back on gas, 3% back on restaurant and travel, 2% back on purchases from Costco and 1% on all other purchases. The restaurant and travel rebate includes hotels, rental agencies, air, cruise, etc., with the only exceptions being bakeries and cafes inside supermarkets, etc. It has no additional fee when you use it for your Costco membership fee.