Best age for mega ships?

Starflyr3

I've limited our cruises to smaller ships due to young children who haven't been old enough or big enough for most of the big ship amenities. They are getting bigger now (as children do), at 5 and 8.

We have a Dawn cruise booked for March, I am debating about changing to a bigger ship for March 2017, or waiting until March 2018 when they are 6 and 9.

The older one doesn't like splash academy.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Starflyr3

I think they can do the bigger ships. Mine were 5 and 7 when we went on Getaway. 7 year old could do everything... ropes course, bungee trampoline, water slides (except for the drop slides). 5 year old could only do the small purple water slide and the spider climb. But she still enjoyed it. She loved the mini golf and there's a "little kids" rope course that she did.

Then in a few years, take them again, when the younger one will then be able to do everything except for the drop slides.

Here's the way I see it...the "bells and whistles" take up about 1 hour per day, if that....I would NOT base my vacation on a slide or zip-line, or whatever. Pick the time, price and itinerary you want. The kids will deal with whatever amenities there are. They are lucky to be on a cruise at all!

Here's the way I see it...the "bells and whistles" take up about 1 hour per day, if that....I would NOT base my vacation on a slide or zip-line, or whatever. Pick the time, price and itinerary you want. The kids will deal with whatever amenities there are. They are lucky to be on a cruise at all!

Oh, I agree, but we were just taking a spring break cruise out of the port of Houston. That is now gone, so we will need to travel somewhere. NO is about 8 hours for us, and honestly, we've been to the same ports every cruise but Sky. (Cozumel, Belize, Honduras), so we arent going for the ports, more to be on the ship. They loved the Haven on Jade, which Dawn doesnt have, but there arent many other choices close enough to drive. Dawn also has zero water slides, so...

IDK. Maybe we'll find more kid friendly things to do this year - back to Playa Mia, Maya Key, renting a cabana on Harvest Caye and something in Costa Maya (never been there).

The price of a 2 br haven on Breakaway from NY is the same as Dawn out of NO, except for airfare and weather.

What I DONT want to do is book a mega ship and not have them be able to do the fun stuff.