Questions about the Solstice

claudiniusmaximus

Hi Folks

Really excited about our cruise to Alaska on the Solstice next May.

We did Italy and the Greek Isles on Reflection in June and loved the ship, and I know the two ships are (almost) identical.

On the last cruise we only tried the Sky Observation Lounge a couple of times during the day. Once it was being used for an art auction and another time it was just empty (no staff, bar didn't seem to be stocked, no music etc). It only seemed to be in use properly at night for theme nights etc. It wasn't a problem as it was so warm and the itinerary was port intensive so we were mostly on deck or in port.

But I imagine we'd be more likely to use it on an Alaskan cruise - especially the days cruising the inside passage but also the long evenings sailing out of ports etc. So I was wondering if it's more likely to be "open" more often on an Alaskan itinerary, if you know what I mean.

On a related note, the only other spot I found to sit inside but be able to look outside in terms of bars etc was Cafe Al Bacio. Can anyone think of other spots that are good for that?

Cheers:)

Edited by claudiniusmaximus
Typo

I don't think the Sky Lounge is staffed during the day unless there is something planned eg, art auction, trivia etc. we did Alaska on the Solstice a couple of years ago and as I recall the Sky Lounge was staffed during the afternoon of the day we did Tracey Arm Fjord.

We often get a coffe from Cafe Al Bacio and go sit in one of the alcoves by the Martini Bar and watch the ocean.

Lots of people in the Solarium area, Ocean View Cafe and the Sky Lounge. We found it way to busy for us so we found the deck in front of the fitness centre. The staff brought us some blankets and hot chocolate. We spent hours there going up the Tracy Arm Fiords in May of 2014. The only disadvantage of that deck was we could not hear the narrative tour that was on the PA from Brent Nixon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ah so it might be staffed the day we are at Hubbard. Hopefully also the inside passage day. We'd only done P&O before (just twice, on the Arcadia) and their version of it (the Crows's Nest) was really popular and staffed constantly so it made us wonder when it was not like that on the Reflection.

(Celebrity beats p&o hands down for me though)

The alcoves in the martini bar - are they covered with "net curtains" or are they windows unobstructed?

I hadn't thought of the solarium but yes of course that makes sense. Thanks.

Also just had a thought - I've seen photos of the new gastrobar on some threads in here and they have sofas etc alongside the windows in there too (although they may be covered with some sort of sheer fabric). It's likely the solstice will have that by May and in any case Cellar Masters had the same seats I think.

Edited by claudiniusmaximus
Bad grammar