Guessing Guarantee Upgrade Category???

BTfan

Just wondering if it's possible to guess what category room I'll land by seeing what rooms are remaining?

Here's my story:

I booked a 5A Guarantee. As of today, I'm 90 days out and here are the rooms I could book if I went to book today:

There are 2 6B rooms, and about 10 6E rooms..after that, it's 1 9A and then it's Suites...

So I guess what the real question would be is: When does Carnival stop offering rooms?

I'm not sure what percentage of rooms are booked as Guaranteed, but if there are say 50 rooms booked as a Guarantee, does Carnival hold a block of rooms to assign the Gurantees to? Or does it wait until there are 50 rooms left and then stop accepting reservations?

So I guess what the real question would be is: When does Carnival stop offering rooms?
The cruiselines have to submit a passenger manifest to DHS 72 hours before sailing, so in theory they may accept reservations right up until that point.

The cruiselines have to submit a passenger manifest to DHS 72 hours before sailing, so in theory they may accept reservations right up until that point.

I can see them doing that for 'unbooked' rooms..but if they have 10 OV Guarantees, they can't sell anymore rooms above that once they have 10 vacancies if those gurantees aren't assigned yet

We booked our balcony guarantee last week for Jan 21 cruise. CVP said that they will move people up because it is easier to sell the lesser expensive cabins than the very pricey suites. But it is no guarantee the upgrade fairy will do her magic. And from what I have read in the past, things can change right up to cruise day with a guarantee.

Our CVP said the being a past guest helped when they were deciding on who gets upgrades, as well as how early you booked.

I can see them doing that for 'unbooked' rooms..but if they have 10 OV Guarantees, they can't sell anymore rooms above that once they have 10 vacancies if those gurantees aren't assigned yet
:confused: They can sell anything and everything so long as there are at least 10 6A cabins left at the end of the day. That would be all thet you are entitled to, that's why it's called a guarantee.

And... even though your guarantee/TBA cabin might could be assigned before then, it is subject to change right up to the morning of embarkation. But chances are, it won't be changed, but the possibility exists.

:confused: They can sell anything and everything so long as there are at least 10 6A cabins left at the end of the day. That would be all thet you are entitled to, that's why it's called a guarantee.

And... even though your guarantee/TBA cabin might could be assigned before then, it is subject to change right up to the morning of embarkation. But chances are, it won't be changed, but the possibility exists.

Actually, I'm only entitled to a 5A..and I wouldn't complain for that..that's why I only book the minimum I'd be happy with. I was more curious how Carnival handles reservations. You can't get a gurantee room at this point on this cruise unless it's IS.

I was just wondering the guarantees would get split up into the rooms remaining..so that I could look and see what isn't booked and determine that it would be one of those rooms.

Actually, I'm only entitled to a 5A..and I wouldn't complain for that..that's why I only book the minimum I'd be happy with. I was more curious how Carnival handles reservations. You can't get a gurantee room at this point on this cruise unless it's IS.

I was just wondering the guarantees would get split up into the rooms remaining..so that I could look and see what isn't booked and determine that it would be one of those rooms.

Far too early to even guess. Around the time of final payment many people will cancel and you will see lots of cabins become available.

This is so funny. I did the same thing yesterday. I wrote down all the rooms still available for my cruise. Right now there are still quite a few since my cruise is light years away. Its kind of fun to play the guessing game. And I will be happy with whatever room we get. It's great to pay a low price and have a possibility of getting a suite:)

Far too early to even guess. Around the time of final payment many people will cancel and you will see lots of cabins become available.

That's a good point...final payment is 11/15...I'll wait until after that to drive myself crazy :)

Being a past cruiser is no guarantee of an upgrade. I was booked on my 8th Carnival Cruise and my friend was on her 2nd. I got upgraded one category abd she got upgraded 4 categories. I asked the PVP about this when he called to ask how my trip was. He said there is no set way to figure it out. Hope this helps all. I don't really care where I am as long as I am on the ship.

Candi

Even though you may see only 10 cabins available. (?? strange since most you can see is 7-9 doesnt mean there isnt more left) you should also check cabins for 3 and 4 people also as they are differnt cabins. Its not off the mark to put 2 people into a cabin with three people.

Upgrades are no reason --- I booked my first 4 cruises as guarantee and paid off one when we booked- We booked all the cruises over ayear in advance.. Didnt get an upgrade for any of them--so now I pick my cabin.

IMHO--the person who pays the most will get upgraded first.

Beth-- I have no outside interests in life... I have been working on the modify booking and watching people with upgrades--etc to see how they work- Gawd--it was sooo sad- I made graphs and charts.. You should see my room--lol

Someday= I will get a good life.

The reason I picked the cabin I did was the awesome price..a 5A on the Valor for 599pp...and would be fine with it

When I saw the option to pick a Guarantee cabin versus picking a specific room (the particular site I was on (aadvantagecruise) was the only one that gave me the guarantee option)

I did it thinking..there are only a few cabins in this class and their all in the same part of the ship..maybe most will pick a specific room and perhaps I'll get a 6A out of it, but if not...that's the gamble and I'm still in a 5A and was going to be fine with one of those...

Any ideas on what percentage of people book GUARs on a cruise? Just curious...

We booked our cruise about a year in advance (just got back on 10/23). We booked a guarentee 4A and we were bumped up to a 6B Window room. Three couples we wanted to be near each other, but all ended up with 6B, 2128 Front of boat), 2268 (BAck of boat) and the others were in 7105 (VERY front of boat). All wonderful rooms, in 7105 the beds couldn't be pushed together, but they had the hugh "balcony" in front of their window! Pretty nice! Now booking for next year, will we have the same luck??

Br reading the boards you would think that almost everyone who booked a guarantee got upgraded. If you go and ask the question--Please post if you never got upgraded when booking a guarantee cabin.. You wont get many replies.

Carnival only sells so many guarantees with each sailing. For yankeedog getting an upgrade like they did with booking a year out-- was great. Usually people dont get that lucky. People who pay the most seem to get the best upgrades.

so--with that- Yankee. what was the price differnce compring what you paid to what the price was when you sailed??

We are heading out on the Liberty in February- we booked over a year out but have quite a few people in the guarantee status-- because the price is still the same as it was then I sincelerly hope they get upgraded.

I usually book about a year ahead, and everytime I have booked a guarantee, I have got an upgrade. But only within the category I booked, and honestly all the cabins look the same, just different floors. So, the upgrades are not really anything special in my honest opinion. Now, I book the guarantees for two reasons, the best price in the category I want to be in, and sometime to get the grand-daddy of upgrades to a suite. :) Now that happens to a few now and then. Most from inside to outside, or to a balcony, or just within your own category. We ususally go in the winter months when the ships are full at sailing, so not much chance of getting that grand-daddy upgrade then.

OK, since I'm reasonably new to cruising, how does one find out what's available on a particular cruise?

Robb

go to Carnivals home page and click on fun ships- click on the ship you are interested in.. then scroll to the bottom of that page. Clickon the cruise that interests you-- then make believe you are maing a booking.

Remember that you will not see all availabilty but only see 7-9 cabins in any one cat.

Archived