Return Flight Dilemna

cruisinsforme

I'm trying to book my return flight from Tampa when my Carnival Miracle cruise returns on March 5th. The only reasonable flight available is at 10:35 am. I spoke to Carnival and they don't recommend flights prior to 11:30 am. They told me that I can ask the purser for early disembark. I thought that since the airport is only 8 miles form the port, this might work. My only other options are to pay about $300 more or spend the day in Tampa and get an evening flight. Has anyone ever booked a 10:30 am flight?

I would take the later flight and find something to do for the afternoon. Carnival usually has post-cruise excursions that you could do. The early flight would be pushing it. If something happened in customs, late getting into port, etc. You just never know.

I am not sure as to the distance of the airport from the port but if it helps my last two cruises we did the self assist and were off the ship by 9:00 a.m. we were on the Glory in August and did the self assist and were home in Orlando by 10:30 a.m.

I'd take a later flight...even if you are off the ship early and traffic goes smoothly, you are in the midst of Spring Break. There are going to be 1000's+ of people all trying to get checked in and through security! It's a crazy time of year to fly! I wouldn't suggest this be the time to gamble on it! You'll just be getting off of a nice relaxing week, don't wreck it by stressing out/rushing!!

Enjoy your cruise!!

You could book the later flight and try for standby on the earlier flight. Read the small print about the fare you are booking and see whether standby is allowed. Before you go you can use travel web sights to see whether seats are left. I know in the midwest springbreak isn't until later. However, colleges may have springbreak that week.

If you haven't already book you flight. Try St. Pete/Clearwater Airport (PIE). Its across the bay, but you may get better airfare and flt. schedules. I have flown out of the airport before. I also have done some flt. training there, much smaller and easier to get in and out of. I don't know where your coming from, you might give that airport a try.

Kim

I think you're really taking a huge chance that you'll miss that 10:30am flight. In the brochures, Carnival suggests no outbound flights before 1pm.

Just the other day, someone posted that their ship was delayed and didn't even get to the homeport until 11am. You never know. I would not chance it. Check out some other airlines for better flight times.

There's a reason that these earlier flights are so much cheaper, and the later flights are more expensive. The airlines know that cruisers are not likely to book the earlier flights for all of the reasons stated above. Therefore, they charge more money for the more conveniently timed flights. Same thing happens in Miami, FLL, and Orlando. If it were me, I'd book the later flight and take a post-cruise excursion.

Here's another vote for the later flight. Why end your vacation on a stressful note, worrying about whether you'll make your flight or not? In Tampa, there is an aquarium right across the street from the Port. Spend a couple of hours there, and explore the Channelside area (near the Port) and THEN go to the airport and get on your later flight! ;)

Without a doubt I would book the later flight. We were on the Miracle last December and I don't think anyone got off the ship before 10:30, we did not get off until 12:30. There were high winds and we had to dock in the commercial area, around 8:30 a.m. the ship was moving out again and we had to redock in the correct space.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. It looks as if I'm going to book a later flight. I've read a lot of posts where people say they're at the airport by 9:00 am, and that would give me plenty of time, but the way my luck goes, I'd miss the flight.

If we were getting home on a Saturday, I wouldn't think anything of it, but we get home on Sunday. With the later flight, I won't get back to Philadelphia until 10:30 PM and my 7 year old son has school the next morning and I have work. But, why ruin a relaxing cruise getting stressed out about getting to the airport.

I looked into post cruise excursions and they don't have much in Tampa. What they do offer is only about 4 hours which would mean I would still be stuck at the airport for 4 or 5 hours trying to entertain a 7 year old. I was thinking about renting a car and maybe going to Busch Gardens for the day. I think I can rent at the Marriott Waterside and return at the airport. That way, I can throw the luggage in the trunk and travel at my own pace.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions. I think I knew what I had to do before I asked, but it doesn't hurt to get other people's opinions.

Here is a suggestion that we are doing. we are arriving a day early in miami and staying at a hotel overnight. i made arrangements with that hotel to hold our luggage for us the sunday we get off the cruise since our flight isn't until 8pm. I couldn't get an earlier flight than that. So they hotel will hold all our luggage and we can sight see around miami for the day. i already have a shuttle ready to pick us up at the hotel to have us to the airport in plenty of time.

Hth

sherri

I was thinking about renting a car and maybe going to Busch Gardens for the day. I think I can rent at the Marriott Waterside and return at the airport. That way, I can throw the luggage in the trunk and travel at my own pace.

I think you have made a good decision. Besides, what 7-yr. old wouldn't LOVE Busch Gardens? That will only add to his great memories of this vacation!

We also had the same problem for our Miracle cruise in January, just could not get out on flights after 12 inless we wanted to spend $500 more or not get home til 11:30 p.m. that night. It seemed like a bad way to end our cruise so we opted to stay an extra night at the same hotel we are staying in pre-cruise. There are lots of flights out on Monday. The hotel has free shuttle to the airport and $5 per person to go to port. Of course our cruise ends the first week of February and rates might be higher for rooms in March.

Archived