Scenic Eclipse

russg140

Dear cruising kirby,

We apologise for the inconvenience caused and in addition to the full refund, the Scenic team are committed to working closely with you to reschedule your trip to a suitable time, for travel within the next two years. We understand that availability is limited on certain destinations and appreciate the added complexity this has added to the process. If you wish to use your future cruise credit on an earlier journey, we are able to offer this on any of our Scenic River cruises in Europe (including Russia) or Asia rather than a new Scenic Eclipse Voyage. We encourage you to contact your travel agent to look at future departure availability.

Regards,

The Scenic Team

We got a letter offering a discount but only if we book before the end of November. We wont even be back from our replacement cruise by then.

Scenic seem to think that we can all afford a 40k (including airfares) cruise every year....I'm sorry but some of us cant. I was looking forward to using the discount on a River cruise in a couple of years but I'm not sure I will use scenic now. We have had to spend another 8k reorganising our trip due to the additional tours we had booked around the cruise. How can you expect us to show any loyalty if you cant show any real loyalty to us.

I think you have basically cost yourselves as many as 12 future fares as my wife and our 2 friends have plenty of cruises in mind for the future.

We got a letter offering a discount but only if we book before the end of November. We wont even be back from our replacement cruise by then.

Scenic seem to think that we can all afford a 40k (including airfares) cruise every year....I'm sorry but some of us cant. I was looking forward to using the discount on a River cruise in a couple of years but I'm not sure I will use scenic now. We have had to spend another 8k reorganising our trip due to the additional tours we had booked around the cruise. How can you expect us to show any loyalty if you cant show any real loyalty to us.

I think you have basically cost yourselves as many as 12 future fares as my wife and our 2 friends have plenty of cruises in mind for the future.

The discount is meaningless because in most cases we all booked at earlybird rates and those rates are gone on most future cruises. That forces us to book at much higher full fare rates, and at 2019/2020 prices (which are higher than our 2018 prices anyway) and so 25% discount is nowhere near enough to compensate.

My initial communications with Scenic have shown no inclination AT ALL from them to review their offer to provide more adequate compensation.

It is a very sorry tale and one that looks like it is not going to end well.

I can understand your concerns. You want to feel confident in your ship in Antarctica in particular.

It was insulting to email you another copy of your confirmation together with the terms and conditions, as a response to your concerns. I hope you get a phone call from Scenic soon.

Just to add, they are very keen on those "Terms and Conditions" had to re-send the signed last page to Australia a couple of times! Also cannot understand how the vessel is already "sailing to Antarctica"as mentioned in the original post, if it not ready yet!:rolleyes:

Are you not going to try and recoup the additional tour costs as well?! We had 3 nights booked in Miami on route to Cartegena as stopover from UK and I am hoping to get this re-imbursed as well as my independent flights booked :confused:

Why has ScenicTours been silent on this thread this week? Scenic's last posts were on July 4th and 5th, so it seems that they are no longer responding here.

When I called Scenic yesterday, they said that they would contact all affected clients/TAs by July 12. I have yet to hear from Scenic (or yet to hear back from my TA).

I finally received an e-mail, yesterday,from Scenic,mentioning the "deals" they were offering.I am asking for a refund and reimbursement for "reasonable" expenses.

Just heard from my TA regarding our reimbursement and I am sooooo cross. As it stands at the moment, they say they are offering the flight cost back but not the taxes and fuel charges which amount to about a third of overall cost and saying that we can get a refund from the airline. There is no way that BA and AA will refund that and I have told my TA to go back and say that this is not acceptable. Also there is no mention of reimbursement of my 3 day pre cruise stay in Miami!!!!!!!

Just heard from my TA regarding our reimbursement and I am sooooo cross. As it stands at the moment, they say they are offering the flight cost back but not the taxes and fuel charges which amount to about a third of overall cost and saying that we can get a refund from the airline. There is no way that BA and AA will refund that and I have told my TA to go back and say that this is not acceptable. Also there is no mention of reimbursement of my 3 day pre cruise stay in Miami!!!!!!!

WOW!!!!!!That is ludicrous. I finally heard from Scenic in writing,I have asked for a full refund of the cruise and letting them off lightly, by changing my business class flights to March,this only incurs a change fee,the flights were the same price.Will let you know what reaction I get.

Does your travel insurance not cover anything Scenic will not reimburse?

Does your travel insurance not cover anything Scenic will not reimburse?

No contacted them at the start and its all down to the holiday supplier if they cancel.

One asks oneself at these times, "what is the point of insure"!!!!

And this was a good travel insurance, not some Micky Mouse cheap one

No contacted them at the start and its all down to the holiday supplier if they cancel.

One asks oneself at these times, "what is the point of insure"!!!!

And this was a good travel insurance, not some Micky Mouse cheap one

Exactly! Why have insurance? I hopefully don't need it in this instance

but I will have to check my policy. If I may, I would suggest that you get it in writing from your insurance and then if they have an appeal process appeal.

If you have used a travel agent to book your flights, ask them to cancel them and apply for a refund. Most air tickets do have a non refundable component (eg cancellation fees) and a refundable component (taxes and part of the fare). Scenic should reimburse you for the non-refundable component. If the fare you purchased is all non-refundable (and some are, particularly low cost airlines), your travel agent should be able to provide a statement to Scenic of that fact, and Scenic should reimburse the lot.

I say "should reimburse" because I am yet to have evidence that Scenic will, but that is "reasonable costs" associated with the cancellation of your trip I would think.

If you have paid for pre-cruise accommodation in Miami and it is non refundable or partially non-refundable on cancellation, that also falls into "reasonable costs" and you should definately pursue that with Scenic

Edited by cruising kirby
add information

Are you not going to try and recoup the additional tour costs as well?! We had 3 nights booked in Miami on route to Cartegena as stopover from UK and I am hoping to get this re-imbursed as well as my independent flights booked :confused:

We are being refunded our cruise and post cruise accom and change of flights( to the value of $500) from scenic. We lucky and managed to cancel our pre cruise accom in Cartagena.

As was said earlier...in reality there is no discount being offerred as most of us booked early bird. The same trip now is some 30% higher.

Like I said if they want loyalty and good word of mouth reviews, they need to treat those of us who have been put through so much heart ache and stress

To Scenic Team: we are booked on the October 18 Cuba in Depth cruise, and our TA is still waiting to hear about the details of the refund. When you say that you will be contacting everyone 'in order of impacted sailing date,' can you please tell me when I/my TA will be contacted?

I simply want my full refund in a timely manner, and have no interest in rebooking another cruise.

Dear Ocean Patter - We apologise for the delay. To investigate this further we need to look at your individual booking. Can I please suggest that if you have not heard from your travel agent that you contact your local Scenic Office so they can update you directly on your booking. Let me know if you need our contact details and which country you are from. Best regards,The Scenic Team

So here's my (amateur) theory:

Scenic over promised and overhyped on Eclipse. The ship was due next month. Now they are saying January.

All the people booked from August to January are getting their money back. Money that Scenic was hoping to use to pay the shipyard to finish Eclipse is now being spent on refunds. Those of us that are booked after January are being told "your cruise is unaffected" - read as, we are keeping your money but you may or most likely will not be taking this cruise. Which means the shipyard will stop work (not getting paid) and the ship won't be completed.

There was a float out in February. Does a fitting out (Putting the final touches) take 11 months? No. Something is wrong.

Scenic. If you are, in fact, listening. Just own what's happening 'cuz word is going to get out that you have screwed lots of customers and that will be the end. Not just for your Ocean business, but your River business as well. If you lose trust with your customers you will never get it back. Do the right thing now.

For those of us with money on the table all we can hope is that they do.

Dear russg140 - To address your concerns we need to be able to view your booking. Can I please suggest that you contact your local Scenic Office so they can review your your booking and discuss options with your directly. Let me know if you need our contact details and which country you are from.

Best regards,

The Scenic Team

Dear Ocean Patter - We apologise for the delay. To investigate this further we need to look at your individual booking. Can I please suggest that if you have not heard from your travel agent that you contact your local Scenic Office so they can update you directly on your booking. Let me know if you need our contact details and which country you are from. Best regards,The Scenic Team

Scenic Team, thanks for your reply. I spoke with your Boston office today and learned that refund checks would be mailed directly to us (in the US). However, they need to first hear directly from my TA before they can process the refund. So hopefully, my TA and Scenic will connect and resolve this in a timely manner.

Needless to say, we are truly disappointed in having to forego the Cuba circumnavigation cruise. It was a unique itinerary that we can't easily replicate in the near future.

Scenic Team, thanks for your reply. I spoke with your Boston office today and learned that refund checks would be mailed directly to us (in the US). However, they need to first hear directly from my TA before they can process the refund. So hopefully, my TA and Scenic will connect and resolve this in a timely manner.

Needless to say, we are truly disappointed in having to forego the Cuba circumnavigation cruise. It was a unique itinerary that we can't easily replicate in the near future.

Azamara Cruises offer circumnavigation cruises of Cuba, perhaps your travel agent can help you with that?

Dear russg140 - To address your concerns we need to be able to view your booking. Can I please suggest that you contact your local Scenic Office so they can review your your booking and discuss options with your directly. Let me know if you need our contact details and which country you are from.

Best regards,

The Scenic Team

Dear Scenic Team

We called the office several days ago. We told the agent (Kathy?) our situation: We booked our February '19 Antartica trip over 2 years ago believing Eclipse was being launched in August (per Scenic's information). The 6 month period after launch would give the ship an opportunity to work out all the kinks that come with a new build. With Eclipse not taking the first passengers until January we WILL have to deal with all of the problems that come with a new ship. That is NOT what we wanted and that is NOT what we booked.

The agent repeated over and over "Oh, the ship will be fine" ignoring our main issue of not wanting to be one of the first guests on a new ship. Finally she told us to "write to info at scenicusa dot com, tell them your issues and ask that someone call you back." We did that. Scenic's response was to reply with an additional copy of the Terms and Conditions. That's a response?!

Unacceptable. I expect a call, not a "Well here's what you signed up for". p.s. my booking is 441221

Has anyone received their refund yet?

Scenic can confirm that the refund process for departures impacted by the delayed launch of Scenic Eclipse has commenced ensuring that refunds are processed as quickly as possible. Whilst this process may take a couple of weeks, refunds are being addressed based on departure date and we ask for your ongoing patience with this process.For more information on the status of your refund, please contact your local Scenic office

I finally received an e-mail, yesterday,from Scenic,mentioning the "deals" they were offering.I am asking for a refund and reimbursement for "reasonable" expenses.

Scenic can confirm that the refund process for departures impacted by the delayed launch of Scenic Eclipse has commenced ensuring that refunds are processed as quickly as possible. Whilst this process may take a couple of weeks, refunds are being addressed based on departure date and we ask for your ongoing patience with this process.For more information on the status of your refund, please contact your local Scenic office

Hi everyone--please report back when Scenic has started to process your refunds. (As I have yet to receive anything in writing from my TA.) I just hope that the publicized reimbursement plan isn't part of the Scenic Eclipse 'hype' we all experienced.

Well, I was the person who started this thread almost 2 years ago and if I knew then what I know now I never would have booked with Scenic.

So we got an email last night from Australia, but then a phone call this afternoon from someone in the Boston office. After my husband explained that we selected the Antartica trip in February which would give them time to "work out the kinks". Now our cruise will be only the THIRD welcoming passengers; clearly not what we booked and certainly not what we wanted (who wants to pay close to $30K to have to deal with all that goes with launching a new ship (untrained/untested staff, systems, processes and procedures, etc.)). Despite our concerns (valid, we believe, having had an very unfortunate prior experience with another cruise line's new ship) the rep toed the company line and insisted that everything would be fine. He was told this change was unacceptable and not what we booked his only answer was "sorry". No accommodation would be made despite the fact that we are still 6 months from the sail date and would, therefore, have to forfeit our deposit (for a cabin I am sure they will be able to re-book).

We are in the hospitality business owning a top rated Bed and Breakfast and a 16-room Boutique hotel. If something happened whereby a guest's stay was significantly impacted at no fault of the guest (such as this situation) we would certainly offer them a refund. All we got from Scenic was "sorry".

We usually spend upwards of $50K a year on cruises, usually booking the higher end Suites on 2 or 3 trips each year. Scenic will never see another dime from us.

Well, I was the person who started this thread almost 2 years ago and if I knew then what I know now I never would have booked with Scenic.

So we got an email last night from Australia, but then a phone call this afternoon from someone in the Boston office. After my husband explained that we selected the Antartica trip in February which would give them time to "work out the kinks". Now our cruise will be only the THIRD welcoming passengers; clearly not what we booked and certainly not what we wanted (who wants to pay close to $30K to have to deal with all that goes with launching a new ship (untrained/untested staff, systems, processes and procedures, etc.)). Despite our concerns (valid, we believe, having had an very unfortunate prior experience with another cruise line's new ship) the rep toed the company line and insisted that everything would be fine. He was told this change was unacceptable and not what we booked his only answer was "sorry". No accommodation would be made despite the fact that we are still 6 months from the sail date and would, therefore, have to forfeit our deposit (for a cabin I am sure they will be able to re-book).

We are in the hospitality business owning a top rated Bed and Breakfast and a 16-room Boutique hotel. If something happened whereby a guest's stay was significantly impacted at no fault of the guest (such as this situation) we would certainly offer them a refund. All we got from Scenic was "sorry".

We usually spend upwards of $50K a year on cruises, usually booking the higher end Suites on 2 or 3 trips each year. Scenic will never see another dime from us.

I understand your concern. Even established experienced cruise lines can run into issues in the remote and isolated areas of the Antarctic if the weather closes in.

Personally I would try to work with Scenic to move my deposit to another itinerary or forfeit it and just be pleased that I hadn't made my final payment.

I understand your concern and in your situation would probably feel the same. That said, there is nothing in the terms and conditions or the advertising materials that gives you a leg to stand on. No cruise line guarantees that your cruise will be X days or sailings from a new commission or a drydock. Ship happens. And small-ship luxury cruise lines generally have non-refundable deposits. And, sad but true, even the best trip insurance doesn't cover your decision to cancel because the sailing won't be as far from the christening as you had thought [unless you paid for Cancel For Any Reason insurance]. So you will not be able to get what you want, and your choice will be either to cruise as booked and hope for the best [and it will probably be very good, unless you board with a poisoned attitude] or cancel and eat the deposit. In the future, if 'getting the kinks out' is that important to you – don't book until the ship has actually sailed. Sorry for the 'tough love,' but that's reality.

I understand your concern and in your situation would probably feel the same. That said, there is nothing in the terms and conditions or the advertising materials that gives you a leg to stand on. No cruise line guarantees that your cruise will be X days or sailings from a new commission or a drydock. Ship happens. And small-ship luxury cruise lines generally have non-refundable deposits. And, sad but true, even the best trip insurance doesn't cover your decision to cancel because the sailing won't be as far from the christening as you had thought [unless you paid for Cancel For Any Reason insurance]. So you will not be able to get what you want, and your choice will be either to cruise as booked and hope for the best [and it will probably be very good, unless you board with a poisoned attitude] or cancel and eat the deposit. In the future, if 'getting the kinks out' is that important to you – don't book until the ship has actually sailed. Sorry for the 'tough love,' but that's reality.

Wow after your first statement of understanding , you are very not.

You do not know anything about this thread and the frustrations that many different individuals here have. This Ship is over 5 months late from its first scheduled cruise in late August 2018. Scenic just started the tough task of notifying passengers on July 5th.

After reading your 12 one and done posts under “Just Plain Jazz” with your same tough love responses back. It would be much more helpful if you could offer supportive advice rather than knock people down...