Veteran's Partys ??

Ocean Dancer

I think what spookwife was trying to say was that the terminology of party and the expectations that conjures may be what confused the poster who you saw saying there was no party. That poster may not have known to look out for something called informal vets get together in the compass or on the notice board by guest services.

If they were only looking out for a party (something like the returning guests party) and never saw it they may have wrongly concluded that there was nothing held for vets.

yes, thank you. at least 2 of the 'meetings' no member of staff even showed up at all. whoever showed just sort of introduced themselves and began telling Sea Stories.

the first one he attended, though, was led by a crew member, a Veteran. it was on GR or EN out of Baltimore. he said he asked his superiors if he could and got the nod of approval. he was not part of the regular Activities staff, but I don't remember what exactly he did. every port call he wore a different patriotic tie. eventually, this idea spread to other ships.

they have been held all over.. VCL, the Pub on the Promenade, Schooner, etc. usually mid to late morning and usually in a venue that was not open.

if you are looking for affirmation, or 'thank you for your service' accolades, you will not find it. what you will find are fellow Squids, Jarheads, GroundPounders and Zoomies who have been through the same crap you have.

Someone mentioned on another thread that Royal does not have a party for our Veteran's. Well, on every Royal cruise we have ever been on there has been a party.

Our last Royal cruise was on the Anthem in March and they had a Vet's party in the Music Hall, It was standing room only. If you choose to, you could tell your story. Many did and there wasn't a dry eye in the house.

Our CD, Abe said these get together's were very popular. No, they did not offer any free drinks, so really not costing Royal anything but the use of the room for about an hour.

Was this poster correct, and when and why did they stop? Or it is only on some ships?

My DH was a Navy Seal during Viet Nam. I/we thank all you Vet's for your service.

It sounds like something someone else has put together. I haven't known royal to do such a thing... My husband and I are both retired...

yes, thank you. at least 2 of the 'meetings' no member of staff even showed up at all. whoever showed just sort of introduced themselves and began telling Sea Stories.

the first one he attended, though, was led by a crew member, a Veteran. it was on GR or EN out of Baltimore. he said he asked his superiors if he could and got the nod of approval. he was not part of the regular Activities staff, but I don't remember what exactly he did. every port call he wore a different patriotic tie. eventually, this idea spread to other ships.

they have been held all over.. VCL, the Pub on the Promenade, Schooner, etc. usually mid to late morning and usually in a venue that was not open.

if you are looking for affirmation, or 'thank you for your service' accolades, you will not find it. what you will find are fellow Squids, Jarheads, GroundPounders and Zoomies who have been through the same crap you have.

That was not our take at all. You will find many thank you's, wife's please attend with your DH's, or vice versa....and I think your last paragraph is very disrespectful. What a horrid thing to say. :(

It sounds like something someone else has put together. I haven't known royal to do such a thing... My husband and I are both retired...

NO, the CD and any officers that were in the Navy usually attend and welcome everyone and the officers starts out with their story. It is very dignified and attended by Korean War Vets to those currently on leave showing up in full uniform.

Years ago royal would give all vet's a free drink.

One key clue to when this get to gether ( yes, I've already agreed that Party is not the P/C term ) is at breakfast in the Windjammer, you will see many people in their American Flag/hat, what ever branch of the service affects them garb proudly worn around the ship.

Seems fitting to post this here...............Walmart Greeter

You just have to appreciate this one.

Young people forget that we old people had a career before we retired.....

Charley, a new retiree-greeter at Wal-Mart, just couldn't seem to get to work on

time. Every day he was 5, 10, 15 minutes late. But he was a good worker, really

tidy, clean-shaven, sharp-minded and a real credit to the company and obviously demonstrating
their "Older Person Friendly" policies.

One day the boss called him into the office for a talk.

"Charley, I have to tell you, I like your work ethic, you do a bang-up job when you

finally get here; but your being late so often is quite bothersome."

"Yes, I know boss, and I am sorry and am working on it."

"Well good, you are a team player. That's what I like to hear."

"Yes sir, I understand your concern and I will try harder."

Seeming puzzled, the manager went on to comment,

"I know you're retired from the Armed Forces. What did they say to you there if you

showed up in the morning late so often?"

The old man looked down at the floor, then smiled. He chuckled quietly, then said

with a grin,

"They usually saluted and said, Good morning, Admiral, can I get your coffee, sir?

One of my favorite stories, ever!

True story!!

As a first time cruiser on RCI, I was the one who originally asked the question if RCI did anything to honor veterans, or just announced an informal get together?

On our past few cruises on Carnival, they always had something for veterans on sea days. They didn't provide anything except a place to gather, and like some others have said, sometimes you get 3-4 guys and other times you get 100. On our last cruise, we had to have about 300 veterans on board and with 5 sea days, well, we got to know each other very well.

I am also a Viet Nam vet, Air Force, and I always try to meet as many of my fellow veterans as possible.

I am glad to hear that for the mot part, there will be some informal gathering. We will be on the Grandeur, Dec 10, do if any veterans are out thereon that cruise, it will be a pleasure to meet you and share a brew.

Cheers

Len

As a first time cruiser on RCI, I was the one who originally asked the question if RCI did anything to honor veterans, or just announced an informal get together?

On our past few cruises on Carnival, they always had something for veterans on sea days. They didn't provide anything except a place to gather, and like some others have said, sometimes you get 3-4 guys and other times you get 100. On our last cruise, we had to have about 300 veterans on board and with 5 sea days, well, we got to know each other very well.

I am also a Viet Nam vet, Air Force, and I always try to meet as many of my fellow veterans as possible.

I am glad to hear that for the mot part, there will be some informal gathering. We will be on the Grandeur, Dec 10, do if any veterans are out thereon that cruise, it will be a pleasure to meet you and share a brew.

Cheers

Len

We will be on that cruise and my husband usually attends the Veterans get together. He served in the Marine Corp and did a tour in Vietnam.

He will be happy to meet you. And thank you for your service!

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by cruzinlady1947