Coffee on Aurora

mactire

Swill cafetiere with water and flush down the loo, steward was quite happy with that when I checked. Previously I have used a tea strainer to collect the grounds and when dry, wrapped in paper napkin and into the bin. Bit of a faff though, and when you think about it, a few coffee grounds should be less difficult to flush than -ahem- what it's designed for!

Been carting my cafetiere round the world for a few years now with no problems, use a glass version at home, but the stainless steel version obviously safer for packing, flights etc.

Thanks for that - will take my stainless steel cafetiere on the next trip. I've ordered some of the Cafe Express things as recommended by someone earlier in the thread - will report back as to what I think of them. I like strong coffee, will go for something like Italian with a strength of 4 or 5, so it will be interesting to see what the Cafe Express sachets or whatever they are, are like. It would be good to be able to make a decent cup of coffee. We are in a mini suite on the next trip so will have a Senseo machine but, as I said in an earlier thread, I've yet to be able to make a decent cup of 'hot' coffee with that machine, even when I heat the cup/mug first.

Please....those of you that take a cafetiere....DO NOT put your coffee grounds down the loo! They WILL contribute to blocking the system eventually. Dont rely on what your cabin steward says about this. P &O make it clear that only loo paper should be thrown down the pan (apart of course from ...er...natural waste!:D) and I have been told (and have posted before....) that even the "cushioned" variety of loo paper can cause problems. And yes, apparently people do bring their own loo paper from home because the stuff on board is ..er...a bit thin! (No....I dont before you ask! :p)

The waste pipes are narrower than on land and simply cannot cope.

Just for information.......

If you go on Britannia they serve Grumpy Mule coffee in the Market Cafe which my Husband says is far superior to Costa, which he doesn't like. I think coffee makers like Costa put something in their coffee which you get addicted to - thank goodness I can't drink it!

The Suites on board Britannia don't have Senseo coffee machines, they have Dolce Gusto ones instead, which, again, my husband says are superior to Senseo ones.

Totally agree with Mystical Mother - do not put anything other than natural waste(!) down the toilet - you will block it and cause upset for numerous other cabins!

Mystical Mother - thanks for the information about not putting coffee grounds down the loo - I admit I was concerned about this. If I take a cafetiere I will also take a small strainer, and make sure the grounds go in the bin, not down the toilet. Maybe if the Cafe Express things are good I won't both taking a cafetiere at all. Isn't it dreadful what importance coffee has in our, well my, daily lives! I can obviously do without it but do enjoy a good cup of coffee. In 2018 we are booked on the 65 nights Aurora South America cruise and I'll definitely need a decent cup of coffee at some point in 65 nights!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I use a melitta coffee cone and number 2 coffee filter papers and my own ground coffee. Amazon for the cone, Sainsburys for the filter papers and a mug that fits. The cone is plastic. A ceramic one is available from Germany on the German melitta web site.

http://www.melitta.de/shop/Handfiltration/Kunstoff/

It makes coffee to fit your personal taste.

I hope that helps

Lesley

Which is fine if you like tea - I don't! Wouldn't be happy going for 5 days without a decent cup of coffee - yes I know it's just habit but for me drinking tea is no substitute. I can drink tea but only if it's piping hot, not strong, and preferably in a bone china cup - not a thick mug! Fussy aren't I!