Vegan

Just off our cruise on the Brilliance. We had a great time.

I ate in the lido for all but two meals, other than the vegan cafe in KW where we had lunch.

I did my best without asking the crew if things were vegan. Most mornings I had hash browns, fruit, English muffins with peanut butter, or oatmeal. Or, some combo of those items. The fruit was very good! I had a soy latte each morning from cafe lattitudes.

For lunch and dinner, I had fries and a hummus and vegetable sandwich, and more fruit. I could taste butter in the Indian entrees and rice, so I avoided that. There was usually a pasta and sauce offered (I had pasta and sauce 3 times). Most times there were steamed vegetables and baked potatoes. One night, they had the wok going and I had a wonderful vegetable stir fry.

The first sea day we had the tutti salad in the MDR.

The last two evenings, we ate in the MDR because my husband wanted to try the fish entrees. On those evenings I had spaghetti pomodoro one night and the sweet and sour soy chicken the last evening, both were pretty good but I skipped the rice because I could taste butter. There were no desserts for vegans that I saw, and the only starter was eggplant and kalamata tartare...God awful. Looked like a can of chunky cat food turned over on a pita stick.

I didn't go hungry. The food I had was good. I wish there were more options, maybe someday.

I know that KW vegan cafe ;-).

Not to burst your bubble, but a caution for future cruises: I have been told on repeated RCI crises that none of the wheat pasta- whole wheat or white- on the ship is vegan; you need to ask for rice noodles. In addition, you can never assume a sauce is vegan unless you specifically ask and are told it is- even pomodoro sauces occasionally contain butter or a non vegan broth or base, and it is rare to come across any other sauce which is routinely vegan.

As to breakfast: Depending on the brand- they will show you the package if you ask- the English muffins (and the bagels) will likely be dairy. Did you ask about the hash browns, or did you assume they were vegan?

Regarding steamed vegetables at the buffet: I have also been told on repeated cruises that the vegetables in the buffet always contain butter (even if you can't see or taste it). You can get butter free vegetables, but you need to ask one of the chefs for them (they are happy to bring some out for you).

Edit: I just realized that last month I had replied to your pre cruise inquiry. I'm surprised that after reading my previous response, and the link I included, that you chose to not to ask the crew to clarify which items were vegan.

Edited by happy trailer

I did my best. I spoke with some of the crew when I could get their attention. I didn't double check the pasta. When I asked, I was told no meat or cheese in the pasta sauce (marina and pomodoro). I didn't think to ask about broth, though. I had steamed veggies the first night, didn't notice butter, but didn't ask. I am used to eating plain baked potatoes and undressed salads at a restaurant at home so that ended up being a couple of meals.

I am sorry to hear the English muffins and hash browns may not have been vegan. The lido was super busy in the mornings.

My husband was concerned that I wasn't getting enough to eat, I did lose 3 pounds in 5 days, but I wasn't hungry. I brought nuts and cookies along and of course ate tons of fruit.

Royal Caribbean is great for vegans and vegetarians. There's Indian food always available - every dinner in main dining has Indian food on the menu, and you can ask for it at other times too. If that night's offering has paneer or something, you can ask for something you enjoyed at a previous meal, you'll get it.

There's also plenty of salad, fruit, and other options. Lots of portobello stuff. You'll have a great time!

As you can see by my signature we have several Royal cruises completed

Since the last menu changed 4 ish years ago there has not been Indian dishes on the menu every night or Indian dishes at all.

Table mates have asked for something they enjoyed previous night and given a no go. Told staff gets all left overs

My hubs enjoys MDR so we go every night . I am well aware of the veggie choices. I can only eat pasta and red sauce so many times.and so much salad per day. And so many portobellos slightly allergic

I can not tolerate the soy ball or sweet an sour chicken

I note my preference every time and told veggie options are available

The pas cruise after 11 days I asked if there was anything else I coul order. Asked what I wanted I sai I missed Indian dish. The next night I was overwhelmed with all I was given

This isn't always the case. As I am no pushy

Room service menu nasty pizza and spinach an artichoke dip

My best bet is breakfast loading omelette up veggie styl

And lunch loadin up pasta with veggies

Dinner I get salad cheese plate and dessert

I don't cruise for food. But above statement is inaccurate

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dinner I get salad cheese plate and dessert

Just be aware that on Celebrity we found on our last cruise that all onboard cheese except Paneer had animal rennet in it and since Celebrity and Royal use the same food suppliers it's highly likely to be the case on Royal too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

This will by first vegan cruise and first RC cruise and I am very nervous of dinner options. I have put it on my restervation and emailed them to ask some questions about certain foods I was hopeful would be vegan but found out they are not. Going to try and read through all these responses to see what is out there.

Since the last menu changed 4 ish years ago there has not been Indian dishes on the menu every night or Indian dishes at all.

I decided to ask about this on the trip we just returned from (Grandeur). I asked our server what happened to the old Indian menu, and she was unclear, but she called the headwaiter over. Oh my goodness did he go above and beyond. We were brought fantastic Indian food every night - mostly vegetable curries, also dal. There was roti, papadam, and excellent raita every night. My spouse and I ended up asking for just one tray of curry to share between us, because there was way too much food! I have no idea if anyone else in the dining room asked for this, but we had Indian food every night and it was amazing.

So even though it's no longer on the menu regularly, it is absolutely still available - it is a bit of a strange request for them now, but they had no problem doing it.

Royal Caribbean is great for vegans and vegetarians. There's Indian food always available - every dinner in main dining has Indian food on the menu, and you can ask for it at other times too. If that night's offering has paneer or something, you can ask for something you enjoyed at a previous meal, you'll get it.

There's also plenty of salad, fruit, and other options. Lots of portobello stuff. You'll have a great time!

I decided to ask about this on the trip we just returned from (Grandeur). I asked our server what happened to the old Indian menu, and she was unclear, but she called the headwaiter over. Oh my goodness did he go above and beyond. We were brought fantastic Indian food every night - mostly vegetable curries, also dal. There was roti, papadam, and excellent raita every night. My spouse and I ended up asking for just one tray of curry to share between us, because there was way too much food! I have no idea if anyone else in the dining room asked for this, but we had Indian food every night and it was amazing.

So even though it's no longer on the menu regularly, it is absolutely still available - it is a bit of a strange request for them now, but they had no problem doing it.

This may be fine for vegetarians, but the OP specifically asked about food appropriate for vegans. As you were happy to see raita offered, you clearly were not asking for vegan dishes when you requested the Indian food. As noted by others, many if not most of the Indian dishes on RCI contain butter. There are a few which do not, but you must be very sure to be clear you only eat food appropriate for vegans- and then detail that by saying no butter, no cheese, no eggs, no flesh. The 'portobello stuff' you mention may have had butter or cream- again, fine for vegetarians, but not OK for vegans.