Any Birdwatchers on Grand Princess SF to Hawaii Oct 29 2016

suzee

When I took that cruise there was a gentleman right at the bow of the ship almost every minute we were on the water. He was apparently very happy with what he saw, bird wise, during the trip. He was a bit of an anorak, but I think more socially adjusted types would also have a good time...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

Anorak. I like that word. Ha. My husband and I enjoy all of our cruises at the whale's mouth watching for sea birds and all sorts of sea life. And we always find we are not the only ones as we meet others with similar interests. Some are more knowledgeable than others and some simply enjoy doing something they have only slight curiosity. There is always much to learn and knowledge willingly shared.

I suggest just getting yourself a good pair of binoculars. Check out a few birding books, perhaps Sibley, or National Geographic. IBirdPro is a great app for smart phones that helps identify the birds.

We once met a fellow on the Grand to Hawaii who spent nearly his entire cruise on the bow watching for birds. He came all the way from Great Britain and was the most knowledgeable birder I'd ever met. He actually made reservations with guides on a couple of the islands to take him to locations where specific rare birds were to be found. Yes, one might call him an anorak. I'd start with a google search for "birding guides for Hawaii" if you are looking for guides to take you around. I remember his were pretty pricey but he was quite happy with the results.

When I took that cruise there was a gentleman right at the bow of the ship almost every minute we were on the water. He was apparently very happy with what he saw, bird wise, during the trip. He was a bit of an anorak, but I think more socially adjusted types would also have a good time...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

His name is Noam (with an M), he travels with one of the onboard entertainers.

Over the years we have met him on quite a few Princess cruises.

Always at the bow of the ship with a pair of binoculars in hand.

Very friendly person to get to know.

• 1 month later...

I hope you're having a great cruise! I have a question for you if it's okay. After you left Hilo did you view any lava flow from the volcano? I have heard it is flowing again. We'll be doing this same cruise next year and it's just wish full thinking.

Happy cruising!

I hope you're having a great cruise! I have a question for you if it's okay. After you left Hilo did you view any lava flow from the volcano? I have heard it is flowing again. We'll be doing this same cruise next year and it's just wish full thinking.

Happy cruising!

We've done two Hawaii cruises in the last three years and always left Hilo and sailed east away from the island. Never went around to the southwest where the lava flow is.

We've done two Hawaii cruises in the last three years and always left Hilo and sailed east away from the island. Never went around to the southwest where the lava flow is.

Oh, I didn't realize that. I knew the POA cruised by there and thought the Grand would also. Too bad.

Thanks for the info!

Rick

Happy cruising!

Princess does not do a volcano sail by. All ships take a north-western route to Honolulu. The lava is flowing sort of southward.