Question for Ladies!

Nickymmm

Hello all,

I am curious....can one be overdressed?

I seem to have acquired more 'evening' dresses than may be strictly necessary :rolleyes:

Do ladies sometimes wear long/sparkly/evening gowns (beaded etc, not ballgowns) on informal evenings? Or would those be frowned upon and should I stick with cocktail length for informal nights?

And can anyone tell me if the hairdryer so in PG suites are any use or shall I just bring my own to be safe!?

Thank you in advance, Nicky

Hello all,

I seem to have acquired more 'evening' dresses than may be strictly necessary :rolleyes:

Do ladies sometimes wear long/sparkly/evening gowns (beaded etc, not ballgowns) on informal evenings? Or would those be frowned upon and should I stick with cocktail length for informal nights?

And can anyone tell me if the hairdryer so in PG suites are any use or shall I just bring my own to be safe!?

No problem at all. Go for it. I nearly always wear long on formal nights and short cocktail dresses on informal nights anyway. Enjoy your cruise.

Don't worry about being overdressed, I am sure you will look fabulous.

The hairdryers aren't the best , if you are sailing from the UK and have the room in your case it might be worth taking your own. I have thick hair and usually regret relying on theirs.

Well, Nicky, all I can say is you won't be alone. I also have acquired an extra evening gown which I intend to wear on informal nights. We shall keep each other company. Also you will be on honeymoon so that is an even better excuse!

Haha!! I will look out for you, we can be overdressed together! looking forward to it very much!! Almost more excited about the cruise than the wedding...ALMOST!! :D:D

Don't worry about being overdressed, I am sure you will look fabulous.

The hairdryers aren't the best , if you are sailing from the UK and have the room in your case it might be worth taking your own. I have thick hair and usually regret relying on theirs.

Thank you Hattie, I am looking forward to every second of it!

I too have thick hair and as we are UK based, I'll take it to be safe I think. Those 'hold onto the button' ones make me look like a backcombed bush on a bad day!

There really is no such thing as being overdressed on Cunard. However, if one does take the attire up a notch and has a significant other along, do make sure they also match the level otherwise both of you will stand out in the crowd as being badly mismatched.

Thank you Hattie, I am looking forward to every second of it!

I too have thick hair and as we are UK based, I'll take it to be safe I think. Those 'hold onto the button' ones make me look like a backcombed bush on a bad day!

:D We are flying one way this time so I will just have to put up with them again !

:rolleyes:e

No problem at all. Go for it. I nearly always wear long on formal nights and short cocktail dresses on informal nights anyway. Enjoy your cruise.

I am an overdresser! Somewhat curtailed when I fly , especially in the shoe department but it's amazing what you can do with 23 kilos

Bring it on! For me it's always a long dress for formal nights, cocktail dress for informal nights. The only exceptions are embarkation and disembarkation nights where either of those would be way overdressed. But I always dress nicely for dinner even then.

Interesting observation, Lakesregion, but Significant Others don't always "match" … I like big tables, have been seated with a short randy old cigar-chomper and his tall follies-girl wife, a short/wide 7th Avenue garmento and his company-model wife, both women in beautiful gowns, nightly. I'm sure each man was taller when he stood on his wallet. So each muttered well into the evenings, able to handle the Queens Room but not at all pleased to be in G32. But this is about dressing, "there really is no such thing as being overdressed on Cunard." you say, yes it is a joy to see women in their long gowns no matter the night.

Hello all,

Nicky, since you asked, of course one can be over-dressed, just as one can be under-dressed. My personal choice is to follow the dress code. From what I have noticed, the overwhelming majority of passengers do follow the dress code.

I have no idea what is the norm in PG, but in Britannia Category the overwhelming majority of passengers follow the dress code, and an evening gown on an informal night would be a bit outré.

An argument can be made that there is no reason to follow the dress code. Enjoy your voyage. -S.

Edited by Salacia

Nicky, since you asked, of course one can be over-dressed, just as one can be under-dressed. My personal choice is to follow the dress code. From what I have noticed, the overwhelming majority of passengers do follow the dress code.

I have no idea what is the norm in PG, but in Britannia Category the overwhelming majority of passengers follow the dress code, and an evening gown on an informal night would be a bit outré.

An argument can be made that there is no reason to follow the dress code. Enjoy your voyage. -S.

I understand what you are saying Salacia but what is considered to be formal and informal dress is widely interpreted by women across the globe, never mind on cruises. I have various knee length dresses that I wear on informal nights, they have also been worn to 'events' such as weddings, funerals, graduations, the races etc . They may be considered 'formal' dresses by some and some would not be out of place on a 'formal' night on Cunard but they are not 'formal' to me.

I think people should respect the dress code on board but also feel that dressing is a very personal thing and feeling comfortable in what you are wearing is key too. On any evening someone will be the 'dressiest' and someone will be the 'least dressiest'.....I like to be slap bang in the middle but not everyone does

You definitely cannot be overdressed on a formal night but personally I would save my "poshest frocks" for formal and wear the cocktail, knee length dresses for informal. You can of course get away with many of the "maxi" style fashion dresses for informal too. I enjoy dressing up every night for dinner and that's one of the reasons we love Cunard - however I have a few long evening dresses (not ball gowns) that if I wore for an informal night I would think some people may think I've got my formal and informal nights muddled up. Not that It actually matters what others think but at the same time the reserved side of me likes to fit in too. Whatever you decide - dress with confidence and enjoy yourself and you'll have a ball and if it's your honeymoon you'll out sparkle everyone with happiness anyway. Best wishes for your wedding and your honeymoon x

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree.

For me, it is as important to follow dress code on informal nights as formal ones. The argument that one cannot be over-dressed is too similar to one cannot be too "comfortably-dressed."

I also think it dilutes the specialness of formal nights.

On the other hand, I have seen over-dressing on non-formal evenings more often that I have under-dressing on formal nights.

I just believe not-following the dress code, in either direction, is problematic---if we want to have a dress code, at all. Dress-code is "group think." We all agree to do the same thing for the common benefit.

Why should there be an insistence to only pay attention to the parts of dress-code that we like (be it the formal or informal aspects)?

On the other hand, cocktail dresses are listed as appropriate for either formal or non-formal evenings, so there is a compromise. Cocktail dress would be neither over-dressed nor under-dressed.

My mantra on board is to be never knowingly under-dressed.

We celebrated my sister's 50th on the last night of a QE TA - it was classed an informal night, and we walked into the dining room dressed to the nines.

It was fab and she was glowing.

Go for it.