Will Carnival add an Excursion to Chichen Itza?

3girlsofmyown

We are sailing to Cozumel next summer on the Breeze. When we booked my husband was disappointed there were no excursions to Mayan Ruins available (we are only in port for 8 hours)

Today I logged in and noticed they have added an excursion to Tulum (7 hours). Now I'm wondering if it's possible they will add one to Chichen Itza (it looks like this is an 8 hour excursion, though).

We are sailing to Cozumel next summer on the Breeze. When we booked my husband was disappointed there were no excursions to Mayan Ruins available (we are only in port for 8 hours)

Today I logged in and noticed they have added an excursion to Tulum (7 hours). Now I'm wondering if it's possible they will add one to Chichen Itza (it looks like this is an 8 hour excursion, though).

It takes too long to get to Chichen Itza on a cruise.

That 7 hour Tulum= most of your time is spent on the transportation.

Ferry over to Playa then the time time on the bus. (round trip_ then the ferry

you spend maybe 2 hours at the ruins.

It takes too long to get to Chichen Itza on a cruise.

That 7 hour Tulum= most of your time is spent on the transportation.

Ferry over to Playa then the time time on the bus. (round trip_ then the ferry

you spend maybe 2 hours at the ruins.

Thanks.

Last year we went on our first cruise and went to Uxmal. I was concerned about the ratio of travel to explore time but we really enjoyed it.

On an 8 hour port stop the answer to your question is NO.

On Cozumel extended port stops (10 hours +), they might, but even there, people have said mainland tours from Cozumel are way too much travel and not enough time at venues.

We will be going on a Cozumel plus cruise that has extra time in port. They offer a tour to Chichen Itza but it is 3 hours each way travel.

Ships that stop at Progresso offer Chichen Itza tours. Travel from there is 2 hours each way. You can get to Uxmal faster and at Uxmal you can climb. You cannot climb Chichen Itza anymore.

The very best way to see Chichen Itza is a land tour, which my DH and I did years ago back when you were allowed to climb the pyramid.

If you're looking for great Mayan ruins, I actually prefer the ones in Belize. Does your ship go there?

If you want to do Mayan ruins, your best bet is Belize or Costa Maya... they are still an hour+ travel time, but well worth it.

To see Uxmal and Chichen Itza, you need to do a cruise that ports in Progreso Mexico. It is on the northwest corner of the Yucatan, and less than 2 hours travel to either one. Both worth seeing! We were just at Uxmal last month and it was fantastic (see our Liberty cruise report). I have a video and photos listed under signature below. Chichen Itza we visited on a land tour back several years ago, you gotta have a day there it is so huge.

we also have photos from Xunantunich in Belize on our Glory cruise report below.

Edited by ABQrobin

• 1 month later...

We did Altun Ha in Belize with Carnival a few years ago, and we did Chichen Itza on our recent cruise with Royal Caribbean.

Our Altun Ha excursion combined a visit to the ruins with a riverboat ride that showed off the wildlife of Belize. There was a stop at a local hotel, where we had lunch. It was a full day, but we saw a lot.

For Chichen Itza...we were the first group off the ship and the last group to return to the ship. From the moment we left the ship our day was very structured. We were taken from the ship directly to the ferry, and from the ferry directly to the bus. Our tour guide spent the entire two hour bus ride telling us about Mayan civilization, culture, etc. We spent about 90 minutes at the site, with the tour guide showing us all the details of the site. We did not even have time to shop for souvenirs before the tour guide hustled us all back to the bus. We ate lunch on the bus on the way back to the ferry.

The site is magnificent. When you first enter the park and see El Castillo -- the pyramid that dominates the site -- well, we were awestruck.

For the two of us...we are adults have a passion for history and archeology ...it was worth the trip. For most people, not so much.