Antarctic Cruise for physically challenged

Captainlyle

I'm seeking advice and information from people who have been to Antarctica on the Quest.My wife is limited physically with a bad knees and doesn't move that well.My question is; does the Expedition Team have provisions to accommodate people with limited physical ability.I don't want book this cruise if it will be a hardship for her and she would not be able to fully experience Antarctica.Thanks in advance for the advice.

I'm seeking advice and information from people who have been to Antarctica on the Quest.My wife is limited physically with a bad knees and doesn't move that well.My question is; does the Expedition Team have provisions to accommodate people with limited physical ability.I don't want book this cruise if it will be a hardship for her and she would not be able to fully experience Antarctica.Thanks in advance for the advice.

My wife needs a double knee replacement (bone on bone in both knees) but managed Antarctica really well. We did the first cruise of the second season in December 2014 so the snow was still firm, she took two walking poles. The crew are really helpful, we had one guy who hobled around the ship on two sticks who was in our color group and he came ashore with us on each of our 5 landings.

There were also two people in wheelchairs, while they did not go ashore they were put into Zodiacs in their wheelchairs and taken for tours around icebergs.

You must go, it's the most fantastic experience, like going to another planet.

PS: My wife hates the cold but she loved Antarctica, there isn't one photo of her where she's not smiling!

These posts are very encouraging. I was very ill -- near death-- and now I have lost some mobility. I walk with a cane and can walk without but I am not as quick or steady as I once was. We are booked on the Antarctica cruise in feb 2018. My wife was not sure I could handle the zodiacs. Now I think I can

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just discovered this video on Seabourn's website that may help,

http://www.seabourn.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=Mobile.Video.Collection&showHeader=true&showFooter=true&WT.ac=DestMain_VideoCollection_explore#/top

Oops, it keeps going to the Antarctic video, scroll down the bottom of the videos to "Antarctica with limited mobility"

Edited by SKP946
Wrong video

Thank you all for this very useful thread. We have disabled friends and family who I would love to persuade to sail Seabourn with us one day, so any information is useful.

Edited by marama

We were on the November 2014 cruise. The women in the cabin next to us was in a wheelchair, the expedition team gave her the trip of a lifetime... Just like the rest of us!! They rigged a zodiac boat to accommodate her wheelchair, then took her on some very exciting tours, including following a pod of whales for several hours!!! I say go! You will not regret it!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the November 2014 cruise. The women in the cabin next to us was in a wheelchair, the expedition team gave her the trip of a lifetime... Just like the rest of us!! They rigged a zodiac boat to accommodate her wheelchair, then took her on some very exciting tours, including following a pod of whales for several hours!!! I say go! You will not regret it!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow. What a wonderful story

Sent from my iPhone using Forums